VSE Winter Hybrid Synth Competition: VOTE HERE!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

VSE Winter Hybrid Contest

Poll ended at Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Miami Dreams
33%
Hybrid Brideshead
29%
Isolation
10%
Thunderstorm
29%

Total votes: 21

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

VSE Winter Hybrid Synth Competition: VOTE HERE!

Post by dustinh » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you for everyone who participated in this VSE contest. The theme was hybrid synthesizers. Everyone participating had to make an entire song with only one synthesizer that had to be a hybrid synth. Finally, the time for voting on the submissions has arrived. I apologize for the delays in getting to the voting, but I tried to allow some extra time for more entries to roll in, but unfortunately no further entries were able to make it in on time. So without further ado, let the voting begin. Here are the entries:

Miami Dreams

Hybrid Brideshead

Isolation

Thunderstorm

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: VSE Winter Hybrid Synth Competition: VOTE HERE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:28 pm

4 songs
5 votes

This was not a popular contest. :?

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Well, what can I say? I'm just not as popular as Jabberwalky. I don't have the smooth looks, slick haircut, and most importantly, charisma with the ladies. As a result, I wasn't able to sell the contest as well to others.

In all seriousness though, I kinda knew I was taking a risk by making it a hybrid theme. I was just hoping there were going to be at least a couple more hybrid owners out there with the time to make something.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with the hybrid theme - it was a blast to do, but they're not as popular as pure analog or digital, and there weren't as many hybrids made to begin with.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:49 pm

:idea: I think I noticed the pattern - the most votes go for easier/"traditional" harmonies/arrangements and song-like structures :) Same story as with the previous contest (I thought I was wrong that time, but here it goes again).

Well, ok then - it's "your music gotta tell us some story!".
Yet I'd personally rather listen to some boring nicely evolving hybrid soundscape/atmosphere...

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, we'd want to save the stories until the poll ends, if we're sticking with the anonymity thing. But yeah, it was fun talking about it last time...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 pm

This just had a very limited audience. I already sold my hybrid after submitting my track.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Just saw the post now, good tracks gents! Was not too easy to vote on one.

I wish I would've had the time to do something as well, but business is tight these days...

dustinh

Post by dustinh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Simple song structure and melody is generally more popular than soundscapes. I really enjoy both, but it's all preference, which is why the winner can only accept victory with a grain of salt, it's all subjective.

After voting closes, we'll do the same thing as last time. Tell people who wrote what, what they used, how it changed the way they understood their equipment, any challenges or difficulties they had to work through, etc.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 pm

dustinh wrote:Well, what can I say? I'm just not as popular as Jabberwalky. I don't have the smooth looks, slick haircut, and most importantly, charisma with the ladies. As a result, I wasn't able to sell the contest as well to others.

In all seriousness though, I kinda knew I was taking a risk by making it a hybrid theme. I was just hoping there were going to be at least a couple more hybrid owners out there with the time to make something.
Let's just make the next one a popularity contest! :lol:
vicd wrote::idea: I think I noticed the pattern - the most votes go for easier/"traditional" harmonies/arrangements and song-like structures :) Same story as with the previous contest (I thought I was wrong that time, but here it goes again).

Well, ok then - it's "your music gotta tell us some story!".
Yet I'd personally rather listen to some boring nicely evolving hybrid soundscape/atmosphere...
You were able to extrapolate that from 10 votes?

;)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

From 10 votes on a contest where there were no soundscape/atmospheric tracks to begin with (and only one slightly more experimental/nontraditional track,) no less...

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:21 am

when does voting close?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 am

Saturday evening, it says.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:25 pm

"Miami Dreams" was my pick for sure, so awesome!! Interested to find out who made that one. Kind of surprised the number of votes for "Hybrid Brideshead", no disrespect, but to my ears this was the weakest of the bunch. Also kind of surprised by the lack of votes for "Isolation", which was a close second for me. "Thunderstorm" was good to, a bit too proggy for me, I think I know who did that one.

Great efforts by all, wish I had a hybrid on hand so I could have participated.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 pm

I can't see the tracks from iPad, what's the link so I can listen?

I think I can tell who's track Miami dreams is without hearing it.