Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tim gueguen

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 am

commodorejohn wrote: PS-3300. Come on, Korg. You know you want to.
That's definitely an instrument that would cost a fortune to recreate, and probably sell in the same tiny numbers as the original because it would cost a fortune. I hate to think of the trouble it would be to incorporate MIDI.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 am

tim gueguen wrote:That's definitely an instrument that would cost a fortune to recreate, and probably sell in the same tiny numbers as the original because it would cost a fortune. I hate to think of the trouble it would be to incorporate MIDI.
Are you kidding me? You could incorporate MIDI into the PS-3300 as-is just by having a cheapo microcontroller flipping bits on the huge-a*s keyboard connector. You don't even need a MIDI-to-CV converter.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 am

tim gueguen wrote:
commodorejohn wrote: PS-3300. Come on, Korg. You know you want to.
That's definitely an instrument that would cost a fortune to recreate, and probably sell in the same tiny numbers as the original because it would cost a fortune. I hate to think of the trouble it would be to incorporate MIDI.
Having owned a PS3100 and having worked on a PS3300 I would say that while not as hard to reproduce as a CS-80, it would not be far off. And you finish up with a synth that is surprisingly limited - Because the PS series had an entire synthesizer voice for every key, (3 in the case of the PS3300) Korg designers used some brilliantly simple circuit design but these synths do not have the control that people are used to with other synthesizers, particularly in the envelope circuits. The PS series are a brilliant study in compromise.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:45 am

In an abstract sense, I wonder if VSTs are actually part of the engine behind these releases.
Most of my synth-sonic-recognition comes from movies and TV. A lot of sci-fi stuff from the 60s, 70s and obviously some pretty iconic horror movies and such.

When VSTs first arrived, it was about the emulation of popular analogue synths.
Most that started making music back then, cut their teeth on the early NI, Arturia and TimeWarp offerings.
Everybody diddled with some of those. And many thought the sounds were outrageously awesome (not compared to the originals, but compared to sounds that synths make).

So I think there's a huge segment of younger BUYERS who might recognize these, not as remakes, but as the ACTUAL synths their old VSTs were trying to capture/replace.

Roland is having trouble doing the same for the 808 because there's a machine/sound disconnect.
In the opposite end, most people know the 808 as a drum kit...as samples....so when you hear a great one in a beat, you ask about where they DOWNLOADED the kit from it from as opposed to what MACHINE was the source.

100% of the people that use those sounds should be JUST AS EXCITED (okay, maybe not) about those sounds being slapped in a box by the original company, BUT kids are soooo used to using their software hosted drum kits, that they are looking for ANOTHER REASON to buy this OTHER THAN SOUND. And that's where people are saying they are disappointed or 'ho-hum' to the TR-8. Not really the analog part. [Besides, many people consider SAMPLERS to be analog gear].

This is how it worked for me, anyways. Soon as I saw that release, I began to see myself - playing with that front panel and crafting some sounds I haven't had round-these-parts in a while. The drum machine and bass-pad gives me the same sounds I already have, but lets me noodle around with them in a different way.

I could see it becoming popular to have a room full of these remakes, the same way dudes were proud to have folders full of .dlls.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I don't think he even has any of the synths that he says he does, judging by the way he writes he's a 15 year old shut-in just trying to troll us all. I know I shouldn't reply but I get sucked in sometimes.
phesago wrote:BUt in all seriousness, this is always cool. I like synths, and synth related things.
QFT

I've never seen an Odyssey before (don't think there are many of them at all in Australia) and kind of expected that I never would see one or play one, especially with their reputation for being a bit fragile. Korg making a reissue is really, really, really, really cool! I don't care if it's got mini keys or korg semi-mini keys or full sized keys or is V/oct or Hz/V or whatever. Maybe I'll never buy one and never play one, but it's so cool that people will be able to.

It would be really amazing if a 2600 came next, but I'm mostly hoping Korg get into the modular game. Apart from the fact that they could make some really amazing Euro modules having the format get picked up by a mainstream company could increase sales volumes for all the manufacturers which could bring down costs with economies of scale.

Even if none of that happens (it's a pretty far out scenario, but who knows?) it's still an amazing time to be into synths.
Yes as always you get it wrong I know some important folks in the synth world and im sure they would vouch for me lets start with someone I know James Walker of Synth Repair Services.
yamoto773

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 am

When anything is re made its not always what it seems sometimes if this new odyssey faithfully reproduces the splendour as the first ones then fine but 100% reproduction I will take everything the same has been reproduced all odyssey models don't sound the same so I assume korg have built these factors in we will have to simply wait till it does arrive in the stores later this year and yes my typed English is poor but I take it when ready korg will want to sell em I cant see many members thinking otherwise.
yamoto773

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am

bochelli wrote:I know some important folks in the synth world
Oooh I better look out then, wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those important people. :lol:

How's your buddy at Korg going? Has he deciphered your threats to them yet?

Also, I've got a fair bit of spare punctuation available which you're welcome to. Just chuck one in every ten or so words, might not be perfect but chances are it'll still be an improvement.

……………………………………………………………………………………….
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!''''''''''''''''''''''''"""""""""""""""""""""??????????????????????

Just take as much as you want, no need to thank me.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: Oooh I better look out then, wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those important people. :lol:

How's your buddy at Korg going? Has he deciphered your threats to them yet?
U WOT M8?! U AVIN A FUKIN GIGGLE M8?!

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am

bochelli wrote:I know some important folks in the synth world
Do they find you as ridiculous and half-coherent as we do?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am

Bochelli obviously subscribes to the philosophy that it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know that's important. :roll:

Since it's also clear that punctuation is not his strong suit, I've provided a video that will aid in his development of better communication skills, staring a man who also spoke english as a second language no less. Bochelli should be able to relate to this man and learn that punctuation is nothing to be afraid of and is actually quite fun! :idea:

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 am

I love this resurgence of analogs from back when...and now ARP is reborn. Can't wait to play it and can't wait to own it.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

WOW!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 pm

bochelli wrote: Yes as always you get it wrong I know some important folks in the synth world and im sure they would vouch for me lets start with someone I know James Walker of Synth Repair Services.
I have met his a few times and he's a nice chap, does that make me "big in da game"?
If I was him, i'd be gutted that I was name dropped by a negative goon on some website.

tzarv
Gear: MS-20, Minibrute, Microbrute, Dubreq S2, Sub Phatty.

Post by tzarv » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Astonishing news. Can't wait until September. Arp Odyssey you are mine.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 pm

They're very good at keeping a secret at Korg. Silence and then .. Bang!
Last edited by alan partridge on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.