Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Infrasound » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, weren't there noises from Korg about reproducing a step sequencer for the MS 20?

I think mentioned was a reproduction of the SQ 10. Was any more ever heard about that?

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 pm

sentientprogram wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: Oooh I better look out then, wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those important people. :lol:

How's your buddy at Korg going? Has he deciphered your threats to them yet?
U WOT M8?! U AVIN A FUKIN GIGGLE M8?!
I SWER ON ME MUM!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Infrasound wrote:Just out of curiosity, weren't there noises from Korg about reproducing a step sequencer for the MS 20?

I think mentioned was a reproduction of the SQ 10. Was any more ever heard about that?
I don't recall there being ANY official or semi-official word on this. All I read were people on the web saying they'd like that sort of thing.

Can anyone prove me wrong on this? I'd hate to either dash hopes or build them up on hearsay. Thanks!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Low Life

Post by Low Life » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Infrasound wrote:Just out of curiosity, weren't there noises from Korg about reproducing a step sequencer for the MS 20?

I don't recall there being ANY official or semi-official word on this. All I read were people on the web saying they'd like that sort of thing.

Can anyone prove me wrong on this? I'd hate to either dash hopes or build them up on hearsay. Thanks!
There's this:

Do you plan to revive the other models in the MS series - the SQ-10 perhaps?
We want to give people who have never actually touched an analog synthesizer the chance of experiencing how much fun it can be. Just how necessary such a device would be in the present day is something that we'll decide after seeing the response from MS-20 mini users.
From here: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/03/ ... designers/

Meanwhile, the Volca designer has gone on record saying that it's a bit difficult to sell something that doesn't make sound by itself, so if that's how they feel at Korg I wouldn't hold my breath.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 pm

im sure they might change their mind after the mint arturia makes when they drop the beatstep
Last edited by moremagic on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Low Life wrote:... Do you plan to revive the other models in the MS series - the SQ-10 perhaps?
We want to give people who have never actually touched an analog synthesizer the chance of experiencing how much fun it can be. Just how necessary such a device would be in the present day is something that we'll decide after seeing the response from MS-20 mini users.
From here: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/03/ ... designers/

Meanwhile, the Volca designer has gone on record saying that it's a bit difficult to sell something that doesn't make sound by itself, so if that's how they feel at Korg I wouldn't hold my breath.
So in other words, they didn't say it - the interviewer did. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a separate IOS sequencer.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:04 pm

There was a photo circulating, though I can't recall the source, that looked like the MS-20 mini with an SQ-10.

The Odyssey reissue makes sense as it can be done on a single SMT board, with available parts. The Odyssey did not have any special or rare chips that could not be substitued with modern SMT parts. Might not be the exact replacement parts but other than a few IC's, the Odyssey was mostly discrete parts of transistors and resistors. Reissuing something like a Pro~1 or CS-80 would require cloning/reproducing special chips, like the CEM chips or Yamaha LSI chips. The Odyssey would be much easier with what is available today.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 pm

CZ Rider wrote:The Odyssey reissue makes sense as it can be done on a single SMT board, with available parts. The Odyssey did not have any special or rare chips that could not be substitued with modern SMT parts. Might not be the exact replacement parts but other than a few IC's, the Odyssey was mostly discrete parts of transistors and resistors. Reissuing something like a Pro~1 or CS-80 would require cloning/reproducing special chips, like the CEM chips or Yamaha LSI chips. The Odyssey would be much easier with what is available today.
This is excellent information, and something I really wanted to hear.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Augment

Post by Augment » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 pm

CZ Rider wrote:There was a photo circulating, though I can't recall the source, that looked like the MS-20 mini with an SQ-10.

The Odyssey reissue makes sense as it can be done on a single SMT board, with available parts. The Odyssey did not have any special or rare chips that could not be substitued with modern SMT parts. Might not be the exact replacement parts but other than a few IC's, the Odyssey was mostly discrete parts of transistors and resistors. Reissuing something like a Pro~1 or CS-80 would require cloning/reproducing special chips, like the CEM chips or Yamaha LSI chips. The Odyssey would be much easier with what is available today.
That picture is just an original MS-20. It's actually the startup image on the iMS-20 iPad app.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Swayze wrote:Sweet Jesus, the Odyssey has such a killer sound. It's been awhile since I heard one but I've been watching youtube demos of it tonight along with the Pro One and MS20 and I gotta say, the Ody is by far my favorite. It's much more useful for 70's prog rock, which is exactly what I've been after for a while. I gotta get my paws on one of these when they come out!
Indeed - I was seriously looking at saving up for a Sub 37 for proggy lead sounds, but this announcement put the kibosh on that for the moment, since it's going to be 100% analogue, a vintage recreation, and probably cheaper... :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Augment wrote:That picture is just an original MS-20. It's actually the startup image on the iMS-20 iPad app.
Good catch! That would be the original. Tough to really guage the size of an object in a photo like that. Those yellow patch cords look like the ones issued with the mini version.
Forgot Korg did a virtual SQ-10. This patch is almost the same as the real photo.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 am

*This* is what I love the white-faced Odyssey for:

Blistering solo.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 am

Whoa! I've been offline a few days and I come back to find this?? Korg, are you trying to put me in the poorhouse?

The one thing I wonder about is CV control. I presume this will be 1v/oct like the original, but with Korg being traditionally Hz/v...

With all the old giants of the synth world being revived over the last decade (plus), it's great to see ARP counted among them.
You can't synthesize love

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:53 pm

the mono/poly is v/oct, and they invited some american techs to help design that
given all the different routings to the vcos in the original, i imagine theyll keept he exponential response

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 pm

What would be the cost implications of producing/releasing both full size and mini key versions?