Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
celebutante

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by celebutante » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm

I'd be really surprised if Korg reissued the SQ10... besides the potential linear vs. exponential issues, it's a 12-step sequencer, which truthfully is kind of an oddball length (unless you're really into music in 3/4, then it's great). Otherwise, you'd most likely use only the first eight steps, and 16 is way better. Not to mention that the far cheaper and simpler 16-step Arturia Beatstep would be superior right out the gate. Additionally, the SQ-10 doesn't have pitch quantization... again, tolerable in the 70's, but it's an expected feature these days (hey, Beatstep does that too).

Interestingly, the iOS version is 16-steps (and I'm sure it quantizes). What would be super neat would be an updated SQ10 with similar appearance and features (and 1/4" jacks for us dot.commers!), but with 16 steps and quantization. As they say in Robocop, "I'll buy that for a dollar!" :D
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

mmp
Gear: VS VL-1 Varios VoyagerRME MinimoogD CS60 SY-2 Kronos M3X MW1 2600 PS3100 DV-800 Z1 Chroma XT Blofeld k5K PolyMoog Avatar MS20 PE-1000 P6 OB6 m4000d
Band: Iberquez

Post by mmp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 am

I've heard from a pretty good source that it will be 3/4 scale. Time will tell.
Last edited by mmp on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McInnis Productions
www.mm-pro.com

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:39 am

I hope it's 85% at the smallest...I'm comfortable with the MS-20 Mini, but 3/4 scale keys are a bit too small even for me.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Wow
once again Korg 'gets it' where Roland does not.

The only question is,Price?

It would be great if Korg re-releases the SQ10 as an SQ16 or even better, the exact same form factor as the SQ10, but with a microprocessor inside and sequence storage and pitch/volts quantization.
It would also kind of have to have support for both CV standards as well right?
May as well as Midi over USB and in/out/thru so folks can position it in their rigs.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm

I really hope it's full size, even if it costs a bit more. I also wouldn't mind (once done right) if the design was modernised, like a Voyager OS or Fiat 500 (the car :D ), both are modern whilst visually capturing the essence of the originals (IMHO). I'd personally base it on the black/orange model, but wouldn't have the keys sticking out! Wood would be nice too, perhaps a bit like a mono/poly.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Any rumors swirling around about price?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Any rumors swirling around about price?
They would have to price it pretty darn high before it would dissuade a lot of us.
I mean, it would need to be in Voyager territory before I would beg off and buy a Moog instead.
The MS20 kit is actually a bit too rich for my blood. But then there is the MS20 mini out there so it is kind of silly. OTOH there is no cheaper alternative to a Korg Odyssey. So I guess we will have to swallow whatever price they come up with. Interested to see if they keep it faithful, or try to cram some midi and such in there.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:47 am

Anyone know if patch storage will be added to the design?

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:54 am

probably not, given that would involve much more changes to the circuit design than just adding a din socket and midi note on/off capability

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 am

Patch Storage.
:::sighs::::

With many analog synths, patch storage is the refuge of the people who don't know how they did what they did and need to save it so that they can do it again.
I keep telling you people... learn synthesis, and you won't need patch storage on analog synths.

I am delighted and grateful that the MS-20 Mini, the MiniBrute, and the MicroBrute do NOT have patch storage. You can only get your sounds back if you either know what you're doing or document your settings (which helps you know what you're doing).
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:33 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Patch Storage.

With many analog synths, patch storage is the refuge of the people who don't know how they did what they did and need to save it so that they can do it again.
I keep telling you people... learn synthesis, and you won't need patch storage on analog synths.

I am delighted and grateful that the MS-20 Mini, the MiniBrute, and the MicroBrute do NOT have patch storage. You can only get your sounds back if you either know what you're doing or document your settings (which helps you know what you're doing).
This, right here is what like buttons are for:)
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 am

zmd wrote:

This, right here is what like buttons are for:)
like buttons are to empty quotes what playing a synthesizer is to patch storage :-P

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:15 am

I'm with AG on that statement, at least in terms of my personal tastes.
But I have also played live with synths and have friends that do as well.
It may be more ideologically pure to manually reset your synth patches by hand, but when you are already juggling vocals, a few effects pedals and a finicky drum machine, it sure is dandy to have patch memory.

More than one of my friends/colleagues switched to a LP or Voyager from an older more 'authentic' synth. Just for the patch storage.

I'm not saying they should include that feature. Heck I hope they don't change anything except to accommodate contemporary part sourcing for parts that are out of production. Though I wouldn't spit in their eye for rudimentary midi! I know it is anathema to analog synth purists, but the utility of midi extends to more than just playing _that_ synth from _this_ synth.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:25 am

Given that the only significant changes to the MS-20 for its reissue were a cleaning up of the noisy VCA and the addition of a simple note-on/note-off MIDI facility, I would be extremely surprised if they added a bunch of fancy features to the Odyssey reissue. All I really want in that regard is the ability to receive pitch-bend and mod-wheel messages over MIDI in case I don't find the PPC to my liking.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am

Or if you have a hi-res digital camera built into your phone.