Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by moremagic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:13 am

the values are updated as they are scanned, is my understanding. the s&h,s feeding voltages to each parameter would be refreshed many thousands of times per second. the sample and hold in analog keyboards was steady enough from the recordings ive heard, an that was only resampled with each keypress.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 am

Hmm.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 am

I will not be buying the new Odyssey as I am all ARP'd up at the moment.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 am

As far as I'm concerned, if it's cheaper than a Voyager (and based on Korg's work so far, I have no doubt it will be,) it'll do to fill the "classic early-'70s monosynth" hole in my setup, man.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 am

One set of AD/DA, and fast multiplexing. Old hat. Been done since the 70s.

"Better" is subjective. I prefer the Juno 6 to the 60 because I have to start from scratch with every sound, and that makes everything slightly different. But I don't play live. Horses for courses, etc.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 am

Man, how many pages are these guys gonna spend sniveling about the lack of patch storage... on an Odyssey?!? :evil:

If crying about lack of patch storage is the first thing you think of when you look at an Odyssey, it ain't for you. Fortunately, there's a metric s**t-ton of blah modern analog (or thereabouts) synths for you guys. If you can't make a two-oscillator, one-filter synth make something close to the noise you want in under two minutes, you shouldn't own an analog synth in the first place, because you don't know what you're doing. And if it's something really weird I'm after, and I end up tweaking for a while, well, THAT'S PRETTY MUCH THE ENTIRE POINT OF OWNING AN ANALOG SYNTH. Especially a somewhat oddball, wonky thing as an Odyssey- because it's weird and does weird c**p.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I´ve never understood why people would want patch memory on a Voyager. Or an OB-1, for that matter.

If you know your instrument inside out, there´s no need for patch memory, you simply *know*.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
seamonkey wrote:It puzzles me how this amazing news of Korg resurrecting a classic analog synth that to this day is still revered by musicians, turns into debate about patch memory.
Honestly, I never intended for it to blow up to this level when I sugested that having it might be helpful, but guess there was enough interest in the feature for a whole discussion to emerge. Then again, it is page 17, I mean how much is there to talk about before going into detail about stuff? :)
I appreciate your comment, but I find it(the discussion) evolves into a defending my position type of thing, and the discussion becomes a he said she said discussion.

Musicians, especially on this forum have been lamenting and crying for new analog synths for years.
Now that we're in a renaissance period of finally achieving this dream, people start nit-picking and instead of it being a "wish list" of features, they start complaining about a lack of features.
Patch storage on the new Odyssey would be sacrilege in my opinion. Again, just my opinion.
It's an added feature that's not necessary, but something desired by some people. And the addition of it would most likely increase the price.

Had I had the choice when I bought my Voyager when they first came out, I would've preferred the Old School version.

I'm still amazed a company like Korg was able to obtain the rights, and have the vision to produce new Odysseys.
It's a dream come true for me, especially if it's in my price range since the vintage one's are out of my budget these days.

Thanks for your reply ninja. My comment was never directed at you, but how the thread turned from excitement to this other debate.

Good discussion none the less, and appreciate being part of it. Thank you. :)
Last edited by seamonkey on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Agree with the above sentiment. If there are any synthesists out there who have never used an analogue synth, and especially an analogue synth with no memories, try it.

you will find it is the most liberating feeling; and psychologically a totally different experience (equally worthwhile, if not more so):

- Since there are no presets to choose from , the only option is to make a sound. So - you have fundamentally shifted from a mind set of choosing someone else's past efforts to your own current creative capacity. Feels very good.

- you stop looking at the control surface as a set of knobs to be set up once for a certain preset to be then stored; or even as controllers to be recorded into a DAW; and instead increasingly view the control surface as a rich, vibrant and organic palette of options for experimentation, real-time performance and fun!

- you care less about the 'precise' settings

- you play differently (and more)

In my view, every synthesist should have at least one synth devoid of preset or any 'external control (MIDI/CV)' = and just learn the instrument. I can literally 'play the filter resonance' on my Mono/Poly because I've learnt the feel of the filter controls of that instrument to such finesse. A great feeling.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Patch Storage.
:::sighs::::

With many analog synths, patch storage is the refuge of the people who don't know how they did what they did and need to save it so that they can do it again.
I keep telling you people... learn synthesis, and you won't need patch storage on analog synths.
I realize you're not generalizing Marc, but here is how I view patches. Not as a crutch, but as a platform to progress.

For example: say it takes me an hour to reach the exact point in development of a particular sound. For efficiency reasons and creative fluidity, spending time to re-construct this sound each time before moving on is counter productive. I understand synthesis, have worked at/on learning my boards AND use patches, does this make me a dolt/cheater/lazy? Nope, time in the studio has always been premium for me (3 kids/wife), therefore I need patch storage on certain occasions to increase project continuity and get on with my ideas.

Its like Legos, keep adding on the castle you've built and some day maybe you'll have a masterpiece.
Last edited by bhrama on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Dear Chevrolet,

It is awesome that you are going to work in accord with Toyota to reissue a 100% accurate 1968 Camaro replica. I will not be buying one, since you aren't going to have power locks, power windows, remote keyless entry, fuel injection, air conditioning, front wheel drive, bluetooth enabled satellite/internet radio and fuel cell hybrid engine. Can you please make a replica that is less, you know, accurate?

Thank you,
Vintage Synth Explorer
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Lets stop creating arguments out of thin air. This s**t is futile.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Both the ARP Odyssey and Korg MS-20 have patch memory. It is just the single last patch you programed. They do not loose the patch just because you power it down. They are not digital. It is easy to get a MIDI to CV and assign each analog synth it's own MIDI channel. Then you can just push a button from your MIDI controller and call up each patch along with all the other mulit-patch MIDI controlled synths you have in the MIDI chain. Problem solved!
I do this all the time and this is how my live set is configured. I have an 88 key controller, and can play one analog synth in the bass and split the top with a lead patch from another analog. Or I can layer them together, or layer in a piano or strings. The only limitation is your imagination. (Or wallet? :lol: )

If the Korg Odyssey is anything like the MS-20 mini, it will have MIDI and USB ports. It will probably only respond to the rudimentary MIDI note on/off. But that is all you really need to play it from a remote and call it up when you need it.

I think Korg has the right idea by giving us an analog controlled analog synth. If someone wanted a digital controlled analog synth there are many options today. Most of the line offered by Moog is just that, Digital Controlled Analog. (Or as I like to call them DCA's.) Each has their place, but it is nice to be able to have the choice to purchase a simple pure analog, if that is what you want. Korg is on to something here!

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Man, how many pages are these guys gonna spend sniveling about patch storage... on an Odyssey?!?
There, I fixed it for you.
And if you didn't notice, it's balanced for BOTH sides of the fence.

I guess some didn't see the giant detour sign and see that it turned into a general discussion about Patch Storage.
Which included parts about presets and also about saving your work. Blah blah....

I mean, how far can a thread go if it's just composed of "Cool, I'll buy One" and "No, I don't have a need" ?
To be honest, the most important people are those that 'Purist verse modern functionality' makes or breaks their purchase. The inclusion or exclusion erm, so to speak....
Probably followed by cost concerns....

And to be honest if it were to have patch storage and presets, what the h**l, would they sound like?
Sounds from famous records that used it?
Modern sounds from today's hitz?
Generic bread and butter starting points?
Trippy sounds show off programming extremes?
A little bit of everything?
I wonder if it will come with a patch book...

Anyhow
I find that is a product is interesting enough, anyone/most will over look a beloved feature (missing).
Some will still get it despite wanting modern stuffs.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 pm

If it's patch storage you want...get the Oddity soft synth. :idea:
Problem solved, now quit your bitchin! :D