Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Nannerfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Why does Korg make people so delusional and crazy?

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Someone mentioned a patch book....problem solved..
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 pm

do we have to get insulted just for vaugely wishing such a nice synth had the OPTION of being able to store patches? Personal insults now just for putting our side across?

I understand fully why an old analog without patch storage can give a special feel vs patch storage (even on simple synths ie juno 6 vs polysix) but come ON! never ever is the lack of an option that could prove to be massively time saving to productive musicians in a world that appears to care less and less about the monetary/time investment value of music making, a good thing.

This synth will no doubt be a beautiful thing anyway, but personal preference and experience has shown me that I just don't enjoy continually dialing up patches everytime i want to try something, the bass, the lead, the effect - punch punch punch a switch - or alternatively I can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to switch between them, do that multiple times in a production and it's not fun. And to ME this does the exact opposite of what AG and others are saying (that it somehow limits you mentally as you only rely on patch recall of the same old bass you wrote a year ago!) nah.. they are STARTING POINTS and my digital synths have shown how a few good stored patches can blossom and evolve into a hundred new patches inc some I'd never have hit if I had to start from scratch each time. Of course this is a simpler analog so not quite the same but it's about the feel and the scenario you are using it in. I simply do not have time in my life to dialing up sounds every time I wish to play or reuse one, even as a starting block.

IF YOU ARE just synth noodling then fine, if you are creating songs and need recall it's not ideal but you can work around it. I just think time is going to fast as it is and appreciate patch storage. No need to bring up our synthesis skills or tell us we don't get it. sheesh.

I made some great sounds on my SH-101 and took photos of the settings blah blah... I could get back in the ballpark without ref to the photos as it's a simple synth but it wasn't always 1:1 and left me feeling like I didn't want to spend that long making deeper nuanced patches (well as deep as you can go on a simple synth like that) - patch storage liberates you to dig deeper than you would without. Most people who are fine without patch storage probably just dial in the same bass, lead sound over and over and don't get even 50% of the potential of the synth.

I know nothing about the odysessy in ref to it's depth vs the SH-101 but I assume it's a much deeper synth so the problem is amplified.

OK. It's JUST an opinion. No insults needed and yes I appreciate Korg for doing this.
Last edited by Pro5 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 pm

sam wrote:Someone mentioned a patch book....problem solved..
try reading a patch book and constantly ref between it and the synth without getting mild back or neck ache if you spend hours on the synth. Don't even bother attempting to play it live.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm

commodorejohn wrote:That's a matter of perspective. For me, it's not "knowing I'll never get the exact sound back," it's "realizing that I'll always be discovering slight, interesting variations on my standard sounds."
Yeah but i do that WITH patch storage. I instantly recall the original patch, then I go off road and knnowing i can SAVE the things means I'm more likely to invest time. It's that simple - for me. Knowing if I hit gold I can store it encourages me to experiment it doesn't deter me! If you are seriously saying synths with memory cause people to never program them then you are wrong, and also need to dump all your patch storage synths this second! :D

Proof is in the pudding - or rather if you extrapolate the 'problem' forward.

Anybody here think a V-Synth would be better without patch storage? of course not. It would be an utter nightmare, and you say "that's because it's vastly deep and so many parameters" well it doesn't change a thing. It's only a problem downscaled, yes it's manageable on a simpler analog but it's STILl the exact same problem.

Do I not spend hours and hours programming my v-synth to come up with those weird offshoots that commodore john etc are saying you somehow only get WITHOUT patch storage? of course I do, but without patch storage I wouldn't touch the V in the first place. It would be an exercise in futility.

So you can divide the"problem" down massively due to it being a simple analog but still, in an ideal world, the problem would always be better by not being present.

To put it one last way, would any of you (esp the ones resorting to insinuations and personal stuff) NOT buy the oddessy ONLY because it had patch storage included? of course not, and if you say you wouldn't then you are lying.

Therefore it hurts nobody to give that option , and without the option it will remove a large part of the potential audience. And that's just fine, there are other synths out there as said with storage - it's not our loss it's Korgs (if anyones)

Tokyo Tapes

Post by Tokyo Tapes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:02 pm

I don't see a lot of bitching, i think there is a discussion about using patch storage, and it's a interesting one

I mean, does Patch Storage kills your creativity or not, to each their opinions, but i don't see a problem in talking about it. And also, aren't these thing being released only in September, it's a long time until we can see all of its features.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Pro5 wrote:It's only a problem downscaled, yes it's manageable on a simpler analog but it's STILl the exact same problem.
this is where youre wrong
an analog synth without a computer between the knobs and the circuits they control will have a different response than one with a computerized panel. have you never had to turn the filter down by just a quater tone? less? the resolution of a computer-scanned panel will be finite, whereas actual analog control will be continuous

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Pro5 wrote:Yeah but i do that WITH patch storage. I instantly recall the original patch, then I go off road and knnowing i can SAVE the things means I'm more likely to invest time. It's that simple - for me. Knowing if I hit gold I can store it encourages me to experiment it doesn't deter me!
Suit yourself - I'm just saying that there's more than one way to look at it.
If you are seriously saying synths with memory cause people to never program them then you are wrong, and also need to dump all your patch storage synths this second! :D
I don't think it causes people to never program, I just think it tends to disincentivize programming.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:23 am

:hippie: Whoa! Sorry if I offended anyone, guess my playful nature didn't translate well. I have the utmost respect for you guys and your opinions. I didn't mean it as an insult, forgive me. Patch storage IS a valid concern. I offered one alternative if it's indeed lacking on the new Oddy. Carry on.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:38 am

When I commented that I found it amazing how much guys snivel over the lack of patch storage... I wasn't implying that everyone desiring it couldn't program a synth. But I very much agree with the example someone made about Toyota reissuing a Camaro and then being berated for not including power locks, bluetooth, etc. My bigger point was that an Odyssey is a somewhat cantankerous, oddball synth that kind of is what it is and adding patch storage would necessitate some major design changes, which would sort of defeat the purpose (BTW, I previously owned a whiteface Ody, and dumped it partially because it worked really crappy, but the reissue would certainly nullify most of what was bad about mine. On the flipside, it used to be owned by The Captain of Captain and Tennille fame. Wee!).

I wasn't trying to say there isn't a time and place for synths with patch storage- that's silly. I was more trying to say that vintage monosynths with no storage are suitable for some kinds of musicians and not so much for others. If you're looking for analog with storage, get a Voyager or something of that ilk.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:54 am

celebutante wrote:On the flipside, it used to be owned by The Captain of Captain and Tennille fame. Wee!).
Please, please, please tell me it was what was used for the squeaking noises on "Muskrat Love."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:16 am

moremagic wrote:the resolution of a computer-scanned panel will be finite, whereas actual analog control will be continuous
You can't make that generalisation because it depends on how the computer control is implemented. There are lots of ways to do it. Granted, there are plenty of synths with coarse resolution, but there are equally lots of very good ones out there with quite fine resolution (e.g. OB8). Done correctly "digital" IS "analogue"- when it conforms to Nyquist.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am

Tokyo Tapes wrote:I don't see a lot of bitching, i think there is a discussion about using patch storage, and it's a interesting one

I mean, does Patch Storage kills your creativity or not, to each their opinions, but i don't see a problem in talking about it. And also, aren't these thing being released only in September, it's a long time until we can see all of its features.
This! I think it's interesting reading how people feel about it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:21 pm

zoomtheline wrote:This! I think it's interesting reading how people feel about it.
Agreed! It's got me thinking- why not treat any synth as if it doesn't have patch storage? Would it be so hard to resist the temptation, for a while, to store your creations?

implant

Post by implant » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:09 pm