Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:56 am

:lol: this is STILL going on?
knolan wrote:(the Juno 60 is a totally different experience to a Juno 6, for example)
I forgot my juno-60 had patch memory until this thread... Haven't touched those buttons since like '09! I should see what's saved; I think it's stuff from the prevous owner. Have I been having the Juno-6 experience, or the 60 experience? Don't answer that ;).
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 am

griffin avid wrote:That even if every person on this forum made a song using the same 5 sounds, there would be a wide range of music created.
The next VSE summer competition? 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 pm

I couldn't have said it better.

I tried but you nailed it, Griffin.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:31 pm

shaft9000 wrote:This is a strange thread....

it takes all of 20 seconds or so to get the sound you want on an Odyssey. If anything sounds 'weird', bring down mixer levels and mod amounts and you'll be back at square one again in 5 seconds flat. Set osc tuning and yer away.

And yes, adding patch memories would add significantly to the cost and complexity of the build. And it will also change how it sounds to an extent.

So chill out, guys. MIDI-ing notes is trivial and cheap to implement - adding CCs and memories are not.
This is going to be a cheap synth; not built for gigging relentlessly. Any benefit to having memories in this synth are negligible in the long run, 'cuz you'll know everything you need to within an hour of turning it on.
Well done sir. Thank you for putting into simple terminology what I could not. :clap:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm

GriffinAvid: Now, you seem to show the same air of pomp that you are slamming by taking yet another notch of higher ground. Can we be clear now, that no-one is right or wrong. I, like you say, am a preset hater and wouldn't dream of using them in anything I do. However, I do not think I am better than people who do. It's a personal thing that I set for myself. Amazing music gets made with presets, overused sounds, whatever etc. It's the final product that matters the most to the listener, not the process. The process is only important to the writer/performer.

I'll come back down a rung now ;) (no beef)

Knolan: Out of interest, do you listen to modern/recent electronic music at all?

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:15 pm

@zoomtheline - perceptive! I'm not into current electronic styles per-say - more into older electronic music. But I do buy loads of music, from current older-school electronic artists, film scores, big artists like Moby, Lady-Gaga....(also huge into classical and jazz and compose piano and orchestral music as well as music for TV and Theatre here in Ireland) - and keep up-to-date as best I can with production techniques - but I'm not into hard-core dance, electronicia... But even there, I continuously Schazm tracks that interest me to listen and learn, and hugely admire emerging DJ and other electronic techniques and genres. So I'm far from entrenched and no slouch.

But I think you're hinting a a good point - the range of music styles debating on forums like this is surely huge. Out of interest - what are your musical interests?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I forgot my juno-60 had patch memory until this thread... Haven't touched those buttons since like '09!
The manual button is soooo handy on the Juno series. I keep my 106 on manual 95% of the time. I wished more modern synths had a way to just switch straight to manual instead of having to call up a "blank" patch to start from scratch. I guess endless encoders make it real hard to have a true WYSIWYG experience.

When I first started performing electronic music live I would be REAL anal about making sure that I used the exact patches from the exact synth I used to record the studio version. It is why I've owned three Matrix 1000's over the years, because I can't recreate program 272 (or whatever number the "ENO" patch is) and it's a pretty key sound in a song that I always play live. Every time I think I won't miss that damn synth I sell it...and then when it comes time to play "Screwtape" I miss that patch so hard. But I'm the only one who knows it doesn't sound right using an approximation of that patch.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Moderator hat on:

We have beaten the patch storage issue to death. Please get back on topic.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

knolan wrote: But I think you're hinting a a good point - the range of music styles debating on forums like this is surely huge. Out of interest - what are your musical interests?
Yeah, I think it's key to how valid your points are to be honest regarding other peoples ways of using synths. With absolutely no disrespect obviously.
Some of the music out there that contain synthesis can be so deep and processed that it would be impossible to recreate if they had to do it live. A lot of artists just resign to not playing album tracks live and have live sets separate. I personally like your way of working for a lot of my work but certain things i.e. on the Analogfour would be a nightmare to not save patches, they are detrimental to a sequence or song.

I grew up listening to Jarre and Wakeman's JTTCOTE but lost touch with synths to learn guitar and play metal. In the 90's I liked Warp records output and still do I guess and got into synths again and recording music around 2000. I love all sorts of electronic music including barely listenable glitchy stuff to almost not there ambience and all sorts around and in between.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Moderator hat on:

We have beaten the patch storage issue to death. Please get back on topic.
No, shush!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Hugo76 wrote: A product that doesn't feature what many consider a key element, is (obviously) not going to sell well to that group of people. Producing meters of text with fantastic descriptions of the marvellous effects not saving patches will have on the producer isn't going to change a thing. It's a fantasy.
I have the distinct suspicion that people who can't even operate a synth without patch memory are still going to be buying Korg Odysseys. We'll see if I'm wrong.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to make a very pointed complaint about this thread.

I have just had enough of what has happened in it. Someone needs to say what MUST be said:

Listen, it's spelled "Minimoog." That's how it's spelled. No gap, no Moog capitalization. JEEZ. How much of this thread was wasted on misspelling that could have been focused on the cruel elitism of lack of patch storage? Think about that next time.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

This is a unique time in synth developement where manufactures put out info about a prototype, and probably listen to any good suggestions that would be easy to implement. I would bet Korg is listening.

The main circuit board will more than likely be a single SMT board. While something like this would be difficult to mod, placing pads for patch points might be easily done. Would be nice to see some copper pads with holes for adding any CV input like individual oscillator and filter inputs. Along with all the CV outputs from the various sources like the S&H, envelopes, oscillator waveforms. This might not be that difficult to do and would add to the market of people that would purchase this to modify. I can see the extra value of having these input and outputs available for those that would use them.
While I would not drill holes in a vintage Odyssey for extra patch points, with this new reissue most would without question. Could make a pseudo 2600 with patching options on an Odyssey. Lots of CV sources to access. And no easy task on a SMT mulit-layer board without giving us a few solder points.
A feature, I'm sure many would like to see.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to make a very pointed complaint about this thread.

I have just had enough of what has happened in it. Someone needs to say what MUST be said:

Listen, it's spelled "Minimoog." That's how it's spelled. No gap, no Moog capitalization. JEEZ. How much of this thread was wasted on misspelling that could have been focused on the cruel elitism of lack of patch storage? Think about that next time.
just for that im gonna throw in a sample of gary usher talking about the muug synthesizer used on notorious byrd brothers! :P

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Spelling aside, nothing is going to stop me from deliberately telling everyone that you're supposed to pronounce it MiniMOOOOg like a cow.