Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri May 02, 2014 4:12 pm

I can't wait to play some Ultravox leads! Currie, and the synth guy from Magazine make the odyssey wail~!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri May 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Seeing is believing.

Call me Thomas.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Fri May 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Why would it be a hoax? I just think that Korg made the announcement to early, and probably won't be able to release it until later than planned. Most likely early 2015. We'll see.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 pm

I don't see why everybody's getting all antsy. They announced it in mid-Q1 for release in late Q3; currently it's only mid-Q2. Even if it were going to be released right on the first of September, we'd have nearly four months to go.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Has it ever occurred to anyone that this might have been nothing but a huge hoax?

Stephen

Yes.... And Billy Currie is in on it. It's an Ultrahoax!

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Sat May 03, 2014 1:24 am

A mom and pop synth shop might oversell their abilities to recreate an instrument but probably not Korg. They're a large corporation and probably not into selling us hocus pocus. Since we're dealing with analogs here it's likely they wanted to keep us aficionado's looking in their direction as they finalize the prototype and move into production. It's possible a few select users have already played the beast and offered recommendations for incorporation into the final product.

RetroSynthAds

Post by RetroSynthAds » Sat May 03, 2014 1:50 am

One reason a company quickly pushes out a news release early on is because of a potential leak. I've been on both sides of the conversation when the media calls with a rumor and the company makes the decision to put out a news release before someone else releases the news. And then go quiet until the Marketing peeps are ready with their speaking points.

I'm not saying this is what happened with Korg, but it fits the pattern. There was no evidence of it on Korg's US, UK, or Canada Facebook or Twitter accounts (as far as I could see at the time), and all online news sources and blogs linked back to that original Feb 17 news release. They got a lot of earned media for the price of one press release.

Putting the tin foil hat on even tighter, don't forget that Roland had just launched AIRA on or around Feb 14. Korg's announcement cut into that a little, didn't it? :-)
d**k Martini
If you are bored... check out my blog: http://retrosynthads.blogspot.com

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat May 03, 2014 8:21 am

Jabberwalky wrote: and the synth guy from Magazine make the odyssey wail~!
Dave Formula ;)

I had the pleasure of doing some work for him a few years back - I built a controller based around the Creamware Prodyssey that he had when Magazine reformed, and recently fixed his MkI Odyssey that he hadn't used since it went belly up during Magazine's Australian tour in '84.

One of the nicest guys I've met. He's now in a rather funky retro beat/soul combo called "The Finks" and still using the Oddy :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat May 03, 2014 2:32 pm

^Damn that's awesome! Thanks for the inside info.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat May 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I can't wait to play some Ultravox leads! Currie, and the synth guy from Magazine make the odyssey wail~!
Here's a Billy Currie article/interview in which he discusses his use of the ARP Odyssey:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/an-in ... ly-currie/

Yeah, I'm also hoping that the Kodyssey comes to fruition, and not in a mini size.

el_hombre
Gear: Roland SH2, Korg MS20 Mini, an assortment of vintage guitars and basses, 70's Premier traps.

Post by el_hombre » Wed May 07, 2014 3:29 am

I reckon we won't hear a peep from Korg until August/September. And then we should start getting some nice ilttle "leaks" to get people going.
I've committed myself to purchasing a modular at this point but I can't wait to see this thing in action, hopefully they pull it off.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Trust me, it's not a hoax.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 08, 2014 12:21 am

Didn't Korg make modular systems sometime in the 70's? I've kept reading that JM Jarre used alot of Korg modular gear on his 1979/1981 concerts, since Francis Rimbert worked at Korg at the time.

Low Life

Post by Low Life » Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Trust me, it's not a hoax.
Oh do tell more :P

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu May 08, 2014 10:33 am

Bitexion wrote:Didn't Korg make modular systems sometime in the 70's? I've kept reading that JM Jarre used alot of Korg modular gear on his 1979/1981 concerts, since Francis Rimbert worked at Korg at the time.
Calling a Korg PS-3100/3200/3300 "modular" isn´t exactly accurate. Yes, these were the only polyphonic synthesisers back then which allowed for patching into the signal path, but no, you couldn´t access all functions this way (and of those you could access, not all were terribly useful).

Lovely synths, though. Wouldn´t mind a rerun of the 3200/3300.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/