Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

seamonkey wrote:Sometimes it reminds me of a bunch of old blue haired ladies sitting around the table complaining.
That's mainly how I imagine aging Prog Rockers... :mrgreen:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
seamonkey wrote:Sometimes it reminds me of a bunch of old blue haired ladies sitting around the table complaining.
That's mainly how I imagine aging Prog Rockers... :mrgreen:
uh, I AM an aging prog rocker....true it is. :)
Last edited by seamonkey on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 pm

The only complaint I have is the price. I predicted months ago that it would be smaller scaled like the MS-20 Mini reissue, but also assumed it would be priced the same as well. If it were $600, I'd buy it without blinking an eye. I'll probably wait a year or two and try to get one cheaper used. It's just with the Prophet 6 release looming on the horizon, that really changes how I feel about spending $1,000 on a monosynth. But hey, no complaints about the sound here. That demo is great!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 pm

Just for the record, I wasn't complaining or something - just surprised (mainly that he chose to do it this way). He should have known that this would provoke complaints on certain sites :D Or he's trolling :mrgreen:

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:37 pm

I wasn't referring to anyone here, it was in response to some threads at another synth site I've been reading since the NAMM show.
(I think you can probably guess which one). lol
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:29 am

I may have mentioned it before, but there seems to be something Korg forgot...

The original MkI VCO's are a completely different design to "standard" ARP VCOs, and the sawtooth is of the falling type (MkII/III are Ramp "Up"). This may seem inconsequential BUT it has a major effect when VCO 1 is in LF mode while modulating VCO 2, VCF or with S&H - The modulation pitch falls and the VCF closes with each cycle, it's the other way round for the MkII/III.

The Korg version would really need an inverter on the output of VCO 1 (along with the provided "Transpose/Portamento Mode") when emulating the MkI, easy enough to do off-board I suppose.

Maybe I'm just being too pedantic, but if you're going to do something right...

The MkI is a nasty, aggressive beast... The early oscillator design seems to work much better when used with Sync+Ring Mod, IMHO far better than the MkII/III, which somehow seems tamer/less bite.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 am

Since it's duophonic how will it sound when triggered via CV/Gate? Just one of the oscillators?

For example on the SEM both oscillators trigger without sync on, will it work like that on Odyssey too?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:03 am

Yes

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 am

volumetrik wrote:Since it's duophonic how will it sound when triggered via CV/Gate? Just one of the oscillators?

For example on the SEM both oscillators trigger without sync on, will it work like that on Odyssey too?
Oscillators do not trigger, they are always "on". The envelopes respond to a trigger. "Sync" does not tie oscillators to the same incoming CV but they get phase-locked.

In answer to your question, the SEM VCOs are jumpered internally so that both will be driven by the same control voltage.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
volumetrik wrote: In answer to your question, the SEM VCOs are jumpered internally so that both will be driven by the same control voltage.

Stephen
And Odyssey is like that too?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Normally, yes. You can route an external CV into the second VCO using the Pedal jack at the back (very effective when VCOs are synced). Also, when playing the Odyssey duophonically, the two keys would be assigned to each VCO (which produces interesting but not always desireable results -- best used when only the Ringmodulator slider is up in the VCF mixer section).

I have no idea how faithfully this feature was reproduced (or deemed important) by Korg.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:17 am

volumetrik wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
volumetrik wrote: In answer to your question, the SEM VCOs are jumpered internally so that both will be driven by the same control voltage.

Stephen
And Odyssey is like that too?
In the odyssey the oscs are mixed before they go to the VCA, so if they weren't both controlled by the CV in jack one of them would just be droning at a constant tone while the other followed the CV, which would make the whole having a CV input thing pointless.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Anybody get one of these yet? I'm actually thinking about maybe possibly placing a preorder. Maybe.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:55 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Anybody get one of these yet? I'm actually thinking about maybe possibly placing a preorder. Maybe.
I have the whiteface model on preorder at Sweetwater. They emailed me a couple of weeks ago to update my credit information and the assistant told me then they expected a March 18th shipment to arrive.
But then again..it's up to Korg and how well the manufacturing to fill orders is going.

Does anyone know where these are being assembled?

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:55 pm

They say built in China on the rear serial badge.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100