Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by seamonkey » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:I dont know if there is an official boycott. Is there? I have just seen a lot of announcements of companies and people saying they won't do business in that state, such as Peoplesoft which is pretty huge.
Sweetwater is kind of unique in a couple ways. Mostly that their sales guys are not total idiots, and they dont treat their customers like teenagers. I'd hate to see them adversely impacted by any kind of snowballing boycott movement. But then I feel like a typical scared old straight white guy. "I hope these politics dont affect my hobby!"
Boycotting Sweetwater, or any other retailer who have nothing to do with the Governor's decision would seem silly to me. And I doubt any of that will occur, so I think your hobby is safe. ;)

Welcome to VSE poppy.
Here's a link with information about the Korg re-release of the Arp Odyssey.
http://www.arpsynth.com/en/
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:46 pm

seamonkey wrote:Boycotting Sweetwater, or any other retailer who have nothing to do with the Governor's decision would seem silly to me.
But it makes a statement! "And that's what Internet activism is all about, Charlie Brown."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 am

Now if it were to be found out that Sweetwater was refusing people for the reasons called out by the bill and such, sure boycott away. Generally speaking tho, as long as douchebaggery is avoided, they won't suffer. Giant contracts and conventions worth lots of money to the state can actually sway the folks who actually work on these bills. I don't see any weird fallout hitting Sweetwater. If I had a spare grand instead of being unemployed the last almost 3 months, I would think about a whiteface from them actually :)

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm

pobby wrote:Just found this board. So the Oddyessy is being re released. Late 70s I worked for Stateside Electronics in the Uk. We were the Arp distributors. I am a keyboard player so was a great experience.

I had a great time for a week being trained at the Arp factory some 20 odd miles from Boston. I had dinner with David Friend at his house. Alan Pearlman`s right hand man. Also got to meet Alan. I was very friendly with John Shyken, a demonstrator. Along with Mike Brigida they are shown here

Decent playing?

I had an Odyssey. Got it around 1979.

Was a fun time. The company also were Uk distributors for Peavey.
I've read a lot of internet posts now with people with good memories of their training at ARP. It seems that, even if it was a company with a lot of financial problems, a lot of people had a good time working there.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:40 am

SSquirrel wrote:Now if it were to be found out that Sweetwater was refusing people for the reasons called out by the bill and such, sure boycott away. Generally speaking tho, as long as douchebaggery is avoided, they won't suffer. Giant contracts and conventions worth lots of money to the state can actually sway the folks who actually work on these bills. I don't see any weird fallout hitting Sweetwater. If I had a spare grand instead of being unemployed the last almost 3 months, I would think about a whiteface from them actually :)
I guess the logic is that people in that state elected the politicians that made the offensive bill, so businesses in that state should suffer?
Or is it that the state government gets its tax revenue from businesses in the state, so starving them for business punishes the government.
I'm never someone who jumps on a boycott bandwagon.
I do personally boycott businesses I do not like because, well, I do not like them. I do not expect my actions to change anything, but the world is a big place. There are few businesses that have cornered the market enough to be crappy to customers and get their businesses too.
Sweetwater has generally been good to me. Though I am curious, if asked, if the company has a position on this.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm sure there are some people who feel extremely strong about this bill, they would boycott anything with Indiana next to the name, whether it be an internet site or something else.
To punish a retail establishment, or restaurant, etc that had nothing to do with this decision is counter-productive in my opinion.
From what I've read, the boycott is mainly directed at conventions, sporting events, hotels, and company functions.
One of the CEO's stated they did not want to expose any of their employees to being singled out should they go to Indiana for a convention.
A sudden increase in cancellation of corporate meetings, conventions, etc and a decrease in using Indiana for such events will hit the state capital by reducing revenue from these events, and the bad publicity is also thought to cause Indiana to reconsider this bill.

I don't want to turn the Korg Arp Odyssey thread into a political one, but I wanted to comment on what I've read on the type of boycott, and who is being boycotted.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

atlantida
Gear: Yamaha: Motif ES-R, AN1X, CS6R, QY100
Korg: MS 2000-R

Post by atlantida » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 am

I don't really understand why Korg went to ARP, I hoped for a Mono/Poly synth instead, that would have been the logical next step. Korg have all the necessary knowledge to manufacture their own impoved analog synths.

If they put together say 4-5 Volcas (for polyphony) and added a proper analog layout (even if it's smaller, as usual) that would have been great...and also much cheaper. :?
Worked with:
Roland D50,JD800,XV3080,V-XT,MKS7
Yamaha FS1R,Motif ES R,CS6R,AN1X,AN200,TG500
Korg Trinity R,TritonR,EX8000,MS2000R,Radias
Novation Supernova 2R
Kawai K5000
DSI Mopho
Clavia NordLead1R
Ensoniq ESQ1,SQ80,MR

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:15 pm

My Korg Arp Odyssey finally arrived today... and now I'm officially out of room in my little downsized studio.

The original Arp Odyssey MK III was the first synth I ever touched back in 1978, but could never afford, and it completely changed my life (up to that point I was a drummer and guitarist just doing rock) so for me, this is like coming full circle and finally owning the synth that first made such an impression on me!

Last edited by genshi on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:34 am

:agree:

chiasticon

Post by chiasticon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm

so has anyone noticed that there seems to be way more arp 2600's listed on ebay recently? i see at least a few a week. granted, they're all $8k+... anyway, my hunch is that people are seeing how well the ms20 re-issue did, how good the karp ody sounds and are thinking "sell high now before they do a 2600!" if you look, original ody's are still pretty pricey, but original ms20's really haven't gone up in the last several years. i paid about $1300 for mine back in 2009 and i think you can get a pretty mint one for even cheaper now! anyway, just a thought...

related: i do hope they re-make the 2600, with all the filter options included. i have an original, but would really love a counterpart. i briefly had two and it was incredible but unjustifiable, money-wise. if one's a re-issue that's sub-$3k instead of $8k+, that's a different story...

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 pm

genshi wrote:My Korg Arp Odyssey finally arrived today... and now I'm officially out of room in my little downsized studio.

The original Arp Odyssey MK III was the first synth I ever touched back in 1978, but could never afford, and it completely changed my life (up to that point I was a drummer and guitarist just doing rock) so for me, this is like coming full circle and finally owning the synth that first made such an impression on me!

Craig - your studio looks great!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm

genshi wrote:My Korg Arp Odyssey finally arrived today... and now I'm officially out of room in my little downsized studio.

Nuts, it is like an Escher print. The longer I look, the more synths I see.
If you are out of room, then it is time to flip a synth and upgrade!
Though honestly not a lot I see there wanting. Maybe a Wave?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:47 pm

synthroom wrote:

Craig - your studio looks great!
Thanks! Of course, it's missing a Fairlight and Arp 2600... ;)
calaverasgrande wrote: Nuts, it is like an Escher print. The longer I look, the more synths I see.
If you are out of room, then it is time to flip a synth and upgrade!
Though honestly not a lot I see there wanting. Maybe a Wave?
The Waldorf Wave is one of my absolute dream synths! I wish I had one. Back when I had the money for it I couldn't find one, but now I am actually a starving artist with occasional bits of income from freelance work to fund a pedal here, a cheaper synth there, but not enough to get a used Wave or 2600. I'm also wanting to finally get into the Eurorack thing, but even the most basic 3u single row system I mockup on modular grid winds up being over $2000.

Also, I very rarely flip anything unless I get something that I just don't get a long with (which so far has only been the Elektron stuff.)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:41 pm

No room for dancing.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Hmm, isn't the Waldorf Wave basically a monster-sized Blofeld? I know they're at least 10 years apart but still. :geek: