Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Really? I thought they were trying to make a completely new design and it was just a coincidence that it happened to have the same name as a synth that already existed?
Everybody knows that if they were not trying to make a new synth, they would have just made it at the same size, and with the same full-size keys, as the otherwise identical synth, that this new synth kind of resembles.

Even though Korg claimed the reason for the size differences were so you'd have more room on your table top, it really was so you could tell the difference between the two Odysseys, and not confuse your new synth with a much more valuable, vintage one. ;)

mute

Post by mute » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't know where this silly idea that the original MS-20s used prices have gone down comes from either. Wishful thinking? They still range between 1.2k to 2.5k depending on model, condition and what comes with it.. original patch sheets, case, cables, whatever. That's more or less been the going price range for +/-10 years. Watching the prices the past couple years I've actually been surprised it hasn't gone down.. particularly since most of them (on ebay) are still via Japan or other places and require power conversion.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Played the Korg Odyssey this week. Sounds pretty good, feels pretty crappy. Cheap plastic-y bits, dumb mini keys, and expression buttons that aren't very expressive because they're really hard to press down. Try before you buy if you can because I'd be disappointed getting this in the mail after spending a grand.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 pm

To be fair, the PPC pads on the original were exactly as bad. It just seems like one of those "gotta be different from Moog" things ARP had at the time.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Bitexion wrote:To be fair, the PPC pads on the original were exactly as bad. It just seems like one of those "gotta be different from Moog" things ARP had at the time.
I can imagine. I've only played with the knobbed version.
But it seems like something where Korg could have made an improvement.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't think much of Arp PPC at best I was more surprised to see Korg carry it on, the Teisco 60f works better, if I were korg I would have stuck with the one release the first one because with the 3 releases with the 3 switchable filter no new model is a genuine reproduction be it in size or controls.
yamoto773

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:25 pm

My whiteface version 1 arrived Friday.
I just had an hour or so to mess with it this morning, and I must say the hour plus passed away quickly as I began playing it.
The sound to my ears is wonderful, and you can lost in bliss creating sounds.
I couldn't be happier, and I don't think $999 for an authentic reissue of a classic analog synthesizer with the addition of 3 different version filters is too much.
Mine even came inside a nice carrying case.
Visually, she is a vision of beauty. I'm so happy I went with the whiteface, I think I could make a drone patch with it and just sit and look at it for a very long time. lol

Kudos to Korg for having the vision and the wherewithal to bring this wonderful synthesizer into the 21st century at what I still think is an affordable price.
It's success will surely give Korg the confidence there is a market for these re-issues and hopefully other stuff will be down the pipe..hint hint ARP2600??

My only negative for the Korg Odyssey is the size of the keys... I have to ask what the heck were they were thinking? I didn't think it would be as small as it is, but we're talking low end casio from the 80's size, at least to these eyes.
I have small fingers, so it won't be a problem but I can understand pro level musicians being a bit turned off by them.
Yes, one can always used a controller keyboard to play it, but really, half the fun and creativity comes from hands on playing the Odyssey directly.

I can very easily see Korg offering the full size Odyssey at a more expensive price.

I love this thing to bits, and can see years of creative enjoyment playing and creating on it, and I don't regret buying it for a moment, even with the small keys.

The sound......... 8-)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:19 am

seamonkey wrote:I can very easily see Korg offering the full size Odyssey at a more expensive price.
Why? They're flooding the market with these great-sounding synths that are 86% of the size of the original. What would be the draw for the customer? The slightly bigger all-around case? The full-size keys? But presumably, it would have the same sound and feature set, right? I don't see that being a winning idea.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Played the Korg Odyssey this week. Sounds pretty good, feels pretty crappy. Cheap plastic-y bits, dumb mini keys, and expression buttons that aren't very expressive because they're really hard to press down. Try before you buy if you can because I'd be disappointed getting this in the mail after spending a grand.
The case is made by the same company that made the original they are actually still around, the face plate is metal and apparently much like the original, the switches are identical to the original, the only thing is the wobbly sliders but that was like on the original too so yeah the keyboard is just slightly cheap, other than that its pretty much like it was and a lot of people are saying feels solid and much better than the MS-20 mini build.
Last edited by volumetrik on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
seamonkey wrote:I can very easily see Korg offering the full size Odyssey at a more expensive price.
Why? They're flooding the market with these great-sounding synths that are 86% of the size of the original. What would be the draw for the customer? The slightly bigger all-around case? The full-size keys? But presumably, it would have the same sound and feature set, right? I don't see that being a winning idea.
Why? there have been plenty of discussions on numerous boards with people reacting negatively to the size of the keys.
As I said, I love the Odyssey and have always wanted one, so I can overlook the size of the keys. But for a lot of people it's a deal breaker.
I was really surprised how the description of "slim keys" translates into the actual size of the keys.
Having never seen or played a MS-20mini I was in for a bit of a shock.
The Odyssey is not only a good bass synthesizer, it is also very good at creating leads, and as I was playing some lead synth sounds on it, it's easy to have your fingers slip off the tiny keys when doing runs, or hit another key in the process.
This is something with time and practice that can be overcome, but I think for some it will be a no no.
David Spiers has a video he did comparing the original with the reissue, and sound wise he states Korg pretty much nailed it, but he also didn't like the keys and thought it was a deal breaker.

I don't know how successful Korg's reissue of the MS-20 full size in kit form was, but it was the basis of my theory they may release the full size version in the future.
It's my opinion the reissue is so good, it deserves to be released in it's original size.

Here's why I wrote what I did about a full size version being released.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/ms_20kit/
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:07 pm

I found that you can get used to the Slimkeys, but the key action is what sucks IMO. Very gummy, with a short travel. The size wasn't the issue for me.

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I found that you can get used to the Slimkeys, but the key action is what sucks IMO. Very gummy, with a short travel. The size wasn't the issue for me.
Absolutely agree, I find this is the norm now days especially on MIDI controllers. Pretty sad state of affairs imo

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Yeah, that is kinda cheap, but I don't really find it to be an issue for non-velocity-sensitive instruments.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Key size has not been an issue for me... I had my first live performance this past Saturday as part of the "Volt Divers Experimental Synth Collective" at the Lovecraft Bar here in PDX, and my Arp Odyssey was my featured synth. I also brought along the MS-20 mini, the Volca Sample and the Moog Theremini. A couple of pics below (pre show and during performance; video coming soon hopefully.) It performed quite nicely; self sequencing via the LFO/Auto Repeats and Sample&Hold while I played duophonic note intervals.

And someone took this photo during my soundcheck... cool view of the setup.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:37 am

:agree:

Nice pics of your setup!