Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:02 am

monolith wrote:
Aaron2 wrote: -- the case is mostly plastic (other than the metal faceplate).
Just like the original, or at least the mk2.
Really?! I thought a synth produced in the late '70s or early '80s would be all-metal construction. So I guess this is a faithful repro of the original.

synthanton
Gear: Akai Miniak, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Korg Volca Keys

Post by synthanton » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:I found that you can get used to the Slimkeys, but the key action is what sucks IMO. Very gummy, with a short travel. The size wasn't the issue for me.
Jabberwalky, is this your track?! Played on new ARP Odyssey?!

If both answers are "yes" - dear God, this is simply amazing!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey thanks! It is my track, but I was commenting on the Ms20 mini, which uses the same keys. I used the Ms20mini on that track.

mootbooxle
Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73, Wurly 206,
Dotcom Modular, ARP Odyssey, Roland SH-3, Yamaha DX7 and DX100, Nord Lead 2X, Sassmann Harpsichord, Roland JV-1080, Etc
Band: Moot Booxlé

Post by mootbooxle » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:21 am

Hi all!

So I've spent a bit over a week with my new Korg ARP Odyssey...and I'm loving it!! I'm a "real" keyboard player, been playing for 27+ years, and I'll have to say that after about an hour of playing, I was not only used to the "slim" keybed, I was in love with it! I really like the feel of it! I can absolutely fly on this thing. It probably helps that the keys are almost identical in size to my harpsichord, which I play daily.

Here's my demo that I made a couple hours after unboxing the thing:

This is the most versatile synth in my arsenal (besides my modular system, but that's a different animal)! I love the range and breadth of sounds you can dial in very quickly. Especially having all three filter submodules on board! That was a VERY smart move. I'm even getting used to the dodgy PPC.

Nisei

Post by Nisei » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:20 am

meatballfulton wrote:
mute wrote:
Synthmatic wrote:I thought they used wallwarts to get around the UL approval process.
It also simplifies issues of working worldwide.
Actually, it doesn't.
It's a switched power supply. They could as well have put it inside the case and have a standard connector for a power lead on the case.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:42 am

There is a lot of empty space inside the synth to put the transformer. But having it inside the synth introduces need to isolate the induced fields from the rest of the sensitive electronics. Could be done though, has been done in many a synth.

Anyway, I got my hands on one. Here's my assessment after playing around a couple of days.

Sure the slim keys suck, they're no better than the ms-20 mini but marginally better than microkorg keys. I don't understand really since there is an extra inch on each side of the keybed. My guess they didn't want the keys right up to the plastic case? It will be something I will learn to live with.

Sound quality: I'm very impressed, but I've never gotten my hands on any of the originals so I don't know how close it might be sound wise. I have messed briefly with 2600 before, and was my main reason to get the oddy because I'll never afford a 2600. There are many sweet spots, real tweakers delight. I have yet to use the korg in a track which for me is the real acid test, but I'm anticipating great things.

You can take modulations from the S/H output naturally, OR from the input triggers themselves they call S/H mixer. So check out this patch: VCO-1 > S/H mixer > VCF <<EDIT>> you CAN have VCO-1 at audio rate modulating the VCF OR flip that switch turning VCO-1 into another LFO <<END OF EDIT>> Little stuff like that, and that the LFO outputs triangle AND square simultaneously to be used in different ways. On VCF modulation, I plugged a volume pedal into the pedal source and I got weird filter stepping probably because my pedal is cheap. If I make slow gradual sweeps it sounds better, but fast pedal sweeps are dodgy.

And nobody talks about the envelope auto-repeat feature, right now I have it pulsing a bass note continuously, endlessly with a bit of S/H modulating the filter. Could listen to that forever. You can have ring mod, plus the original VCO signals in the mixer together. Synths like the MS-20 mini make you choose and sacrifice. On the MS-20, no PWM. I saw the MS-20 module kit adds PWM. Anyway, the Oddy has PWM on BOTH Oscillators. There is much more to say, but this is running too long.

genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Post by genshi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 am

garranimal wrote:
And nobody talks about the envelope auto-repeat feature, right now I have it pulsing a bass note continuously, endlessly with a bit of S/H modulating the filter. Could listen to that forever. You can have ring mod, plus the original VCO signals in the mixer together. Synths like the MS-20 mini make you choose and sacrifice. On the MS-20, no PWM. I saw the MS-20 module kit adds PWM. Anyway, the Oddy has PWM on BOTH Oscillators. There is much more to say, but this is running too long.
Well, I did ;) ... back on Page 45 when I talked about using it to self-sequence on my first night out performing live with it.

But yes, amazing amount of capabilities in this little synth, but I knew that going in, having played the original Odyssey MK III when it first came out. That's why I think the price is justified despite the mini keys (people seem to think it should cost the same as the MS-20 mini just because it uses the same keys, but there's much more to it's cost than that.) I love mine and only wish I could afford a second one in White!

I'll be having my second performance May 9th and hopefully there will be proper video footage this time. I'll have the Arp Odyssey and MS-20 mini sequenced by 2 SQ-1s and the Volca Sample for atmosphere and beats.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:39 pm

^ Very cool setup.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:23 pm

genshi wrote:
garranimal wrote:
And nobody talks about the envelope auto-repeat feature, right now I have it pulsing a bass note continuously, endlessly with a bit of S/H modulating the filter.
Well, I did ;) ... back on Page 45 when I talked about using it to self-sequence on my first night out performing live with it.
Darn, I thought I was keeping up w/ this thread :D

I was making a killer string sound by using sawtooth waveforms on the VCOs, and adding a small amount of LFO FM modulation to both. So simple, but very thick and lush. I feel a demo coming on.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 pm

garranimal wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:On what planet in what universe is a wall-wart an improvement?
Look, MIDI, sure. But a wall wart? Smallpox was less of a plague than wall warts.
What about changing power from Europe to US, or to Japan? All we need is a different transformer.
There's a growing trend for devices with internal power supplies to autosense the supply voltage anywhere from 100 to 240VAC. Modern Moogs are a good example. DSI has finally ditched warts for multivoltage supplies in the Prophet 6, Prophet 12 and Pro 2.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:33 pm

genshi wrote:
garranimal wrote:
And nobody talks about the envelope auto-repeat feature
Well, I did ;) ... back on Page 45 .
I thought I mentioned it too. When I had my whiteface 25 years ago the two things that really stood out to me were the repeating EGs and the S&H mixer. I also liked being able to choose the EG routings, still unusual today.

Damn, you're making me think about buying one :oops: :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 pm

mootbooxle wrote:Hi all!

So I've spent a bit over a week with my new Korg ARP Odyssey...and I'm loving it!! I'm a "real" keyboard player, been playing for 27+ years, and I'll have to say that after about an hour of playing, I was not only used to the "slim" keybed, I was in love with it! I really like the feel of it! I can absolutely fly on this thing. It probably helps that the keys are almost identical in size to my harpsichord, which I play daily.

Here's my demo that I made a couple hours after unboxing the thing:

This is the most versatile synth in my arsenal (besides my modular system, but that's a different animal)! I love the range and breadth of sounds you can dial in very quickly. Especially having all three filter submodules on board! That was a VERY smart move. I'm even getting used to the dodgy PPC.
Somehow I missed this. Great demo moot.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am

I got to play with one of these yesterday, but despite having every intention of doing so I didn't buy it. Don't get me wrong I had Christmas morning like anticipation heading to the store. The Odyssey was a big synth of choice for my musical 'heroes', so I really wanted to like it, but I had some reservations, due to my impressions of the MS-20 mini.

I just couldn't drop a grand on it. A synth of this build quality isn't worth that kind of cash, especially when compared to it's modern day rivals. The Sub Phatty, the Minibrute, the Basstation 2, even the Mopho keyboard (which isn't great but at least has full-size keys). This is a new synth remember.

It probably didn't help that I didn't instantly click with it (I'm a firm believer in first impressions), obviously the above is also a factor. If anything I was more likely to buy the basstation 2! Then I remembered that whilst I clicked with G-Force's Minimoog and Oscar emulations I didn't do so with their Odyssey one. I had chalked that up to the fact that they're just soft synths, but perhaps there's more to it and the Odyssey isn't for me, which leaves me disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 01, 2015 11:58 am

I think all the ARP synths are hard to instantly click with, since they went so out of their way to be DIFFERENT from the Moogs of the era. It's like they studied the Minimoog's layout and said "OK, we shall do everything different but still keep the same sound".

So you get lost in the mass of sliders with squiggly symbols underneath and strange "push this into this" modulation routings.

That Ozzy Osbourne, the biggest illegal substance abuser in history, actually managed to get a useful lead sound off his ARP2600 just by randomly mashing the sliders in an episode of The Osbournes says it all (look at this old piece of junk, can you get anything from it, dad?). Maybe you have to be drunk to understand it.

Come to think of it, I should go watch Marc Doty's ARP 2600 series again. Back to back it's 90 minutes of ARP goodness.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... F3573B94F0

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 am

Odyssey owners: I've been using the CV, Gate and Trigger outputs on the new Odyssey to run my other gear and found something peculiar. The PPC sends pitch bend ok over the CV but it doesn't send vibrato over CV at all. Is this normal vintage Odyssey behavior?

I've contacted Korg and waiting to hear back.