Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Hugo76 wrote: A product that doesn't feature what many consider a key element, is (obviously) not going to sell well to that group of people. Producing meters of text with fantastic descriptions of the marvellous effects not saving patches will have on the producer isn't going to change a thing. It's a fantasy.
I have the distinct suspicion that people who can't even operate a synth without patch memory are still going to be buying Korg Odysseys. We'll see if I'm wrong.
You're probably right that it will sell fairly well, including to not so experienced people. The same that I am obviously right when I state that it will not sell that well to people who consider patch saving a must have feature.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Hugo76 wrote:The same that I am obviously right when I state that it will not sell that well to people who consider patch saving a must have feature.
Nor will it sell well to people who consider a couple hundred megabytes of sample memory a must-have, or on-board bit-crushing, or SPDIF-out, or a 61-key velocity-sensitive keybed with poly aftertouch, or people who are actually looking to buy a dishwasher. What's your point?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:58 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:The same that I am obviously right when I state that it will not sell that well to people who consider patch saving a must have feature.
Nor will it sell well to people who consider a couple hundred megabytes of sample memory a must-have, or on-board bit-crushing, or SPDIF-out, or a 61-key velocity-sensitive keybed with poly aftertouch, or people who are actually looking to buy a dishwasher. What's your point?
What, you still haven't got my point? All I can do at this point is advice you read back my previous posts on this issue. If it's still not clear to you, I don't think I can help you any further

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:42 am

I just don't understand what the argument "it won't sell well to people who want something else!" is supposed to imply other than being a basic statement of the obvious.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 am

commodorejohn wrote:I just don't understand what the argument "it won't sell well to people who want something else!" is supposed to imply other than being a basic statement of the obvious.
I think the point being made was that if it did have patch storage, more people would be inclined to purchase it as opposed to it not having patch storage. But the thing is, patch storage will come an additional cost, thus possibly turning people away whom might just be buying it if the price range is low. This is the category I fall into. If it has patch storage, great, but if it doesn't and the price is cheap enough, I'll be getting it anyway.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:04 am

so, if I want a patch that's patchier than others, what kind of patchiness should I expect?

PATCH. :shocked:

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:23 am

If I hear someone say PATCH one more time, I'm gonna hurl.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:33 am

PATCH one more time.

:P

anyway, i forsee lots of using my favorite digital patch storage technique...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 am

a camera I assume?

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 am

Cumulus wrote:He fingers...
for real tone you gotta turn the knobs with your teeth
like Hendrix!

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 am

Indeed it would be nice to have points to allow access to individual elements/CV. Amusingly, drilling holes in vintage Odysseys for CV I/O was pretty common (my whiteface had them).
CZ Rider wrote: The main circuit board will more than likely be a single SMT board. While something like this would be difficult to mod, placing pads for patch points might be easily done. Would be nice to see some copper pads with holes for adding any CV input like individual oscillator and filter inputs. Along with all the CV outputs from the various sources like the S&H, envelopes, oscillator waveforms. This might not be that difficult to do and would add to the market of people that would purchase this to modify. I can see the extra value of having these input and outputs available for those that would use them.
While I would not drill holes in a vintage Odyssey for extra patch points, with this new reissue most would without question. Could make a pseudo 2600 with patching options on an Odyssey. Lots of CV sources to access. And no easy task on a SMT mulit-layer board without giving us a few solder points.
A feature, I'm sure many would like to see.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 am

celebutante wrote:Indeed it would be nice to have points to allow access to individual elements/CV. Amusingly, drilling holes in vintage Odysseys for CV I/O was pretty common (my whiteface had them).
CZ Rider wrote: The main circuit board will more than likely be a single SMT board. While something like this would be difficult to mod, placing pads for patch points might be easily done. Would be nice to see some copper pads with holes for adding any CV input like individual oscillator and filter inputs. Along with all the CV outputs from the various sources like the S&H, envelopes, oscillator waveforms. This might not be that difficult to do and would add to the market of people that would purchase this to modify. I can see the extra value of having these input and outputs available for those that would use them.
While I would not drill holes in a vintage Odyssey for extra patch points, with this new reissue most would without question. Could make a pseudo 2600 with patching options on an Odyssey. Lots of CV sources to access. And no easy task on a SMT mulit-layer board without giving us a few solder points.
A feature, I'm sure many would like to see.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Korg did label patch points for DIY'ers. All of their recent analog-synth products have been very "mod-friendly," if you will.

I recently did MIDI-out mods on my Volca Bass and Beats. I need to get off my butt and mod the Keys, too. I use the 3.5mm out (along with a 3.5mm-to-MIDI cable), which is hardly noticeable, and therefore doesn't make the synths look "modded" (read: hacked up).

Given enough space on the case for holes and the patch points, the Oddy could become a modder's dream synth. We'll see...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Patch points! :thumbleft:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Hugo76 wrote: A product that doesn't feature what many consider a key element, is (obviously) not going to sell well to that group of people. Producing meters of text with fantastic descriptions of the marvellous effects not saving patches will have on the producer isn't going to change a thing. It's a fantasy.
I have the distinct suspicion that people who can't even operate a synth without patch memory are still going to be buying Korg Odysseys. We'll see if I'm wrong.
I sure hope so, then they'll flood the 2nd hand market soon :mrgreen:
Re-Member wrote:Spelling aside, nothing is going to stop me from deliberately telling everyone that you're supposed to pronounce it MiniMOOOOg like a cow.
Uh oh, the pronounciation issue is even more complicated than the spelling issue 8-)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 am

Bitexion wrote:a camera I assume?
smartphone!