Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
zmd
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 am
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper
Location: saint john NB canada
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by zmd » Fri May 29, 2015 9:09 pm

that has been the case with all of my CV gear. I think that cv out is before the lfo for vibrato
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Sat May 30, 2015 12:17 am

^ Alrighty then. Glad to know the Odyssey isn't having problems and is working as it should.

User avatar
Broadwave
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 am
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.
Location: Manchester UK
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Broadwave » Sun May 31, 2015 6:36 am

Reginator wrote:^ Alrighty then. Glad to know the Odyssey isn't having problems and is working as it should.
But, like the original, I can be modded to add the LFO output to the main CV out... That's the beauty of ARP's design, there's so much you can do if you're brave, or possibly stupid, enough ;)

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Sun May 31, 2015 12:57 pm

Broadwave wrote:
Reginator wrote:^ Alrighty then. Glad to know the Odyssey isn't having problems and is working as it should.
But, like the original, I can be modded to add the LFO output to the main CV out... That's the beauty of ARP's design, there's so much you can do if you're brave, or possibly stupid, enough ;)
You're playing my song - I'm brave and stupid, and I'll take on that challenge! :D
Hopefully Korg didn't stray too far from the original Odyssey schematics other than adding MIDI, filters and the drive switch.

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:41 pm

I admire your chutzpah, Reg!

Actually, I'd like to open one of these myself, just to peek around. Photos are never as good as the real thing.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Sun May 31, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Blue! Just so's everyone knows I'm not gonna hack at it with a claw hammer and butter knife, I used to be an electronics tech in a fiber optics lab and I have an ESD safe bench full of tech gear that I use for keyboards, guitars and stuff. But there's always the unknown that can bite you... :geek:

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 am

Reginator wrote:... I'm not gonna hack at it with a claw hammer and butter knife ...
Harrumph! Well, you're obviously no fun! :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:
Reginator wrote:... I'm not gonna hack at it with a claw hammer and butter knife ...
Harrumph! Well, you're obviously no fun! :lol:
LOL! If you must know, my electrical education began at an early age with a wire coat hangar and an wall socket. It lit me up and blew out the lights! :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1593
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:19 am
Location: down in the lab ...

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Reginator wrote:LOL! If you must know, my electrical education began at an early age with a wire coat hangar and an wall socket. It lit me up and blew out the lights! :lol: :lol:
Hmm ... impressive! You know, there just might be an opening in the ranks of my minions for you, working on my Death Ray!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Reginator wrote:Odyssey owners: I've been using the CV, Gate and Trigger outputs on the new Odyssey to run my other gear and found something peculiar. The PPC sends pitch bend ok over the CV but it doesn't send vibrato over CV at all. Is this normal vintage Odyssey behavior?

I've contacted Korg and waiting to hear back.
I just heard back from Korg and there checking on this now...

User avatar
Broadwave
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 am
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.
Location: Manchester UK
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Broadwave » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:29 am

Reginator wrote: You're playing my song - I'm brave and stupid, and I'll take on that challenge! :D
Hopefully Korg didn't stray too far from the original Odyssey schematics other than adding MIDI, filters and the drive switch.
You just need to find out where the LFO output is, via the Mod PPC pad (not directly from he LFO out). It may be as simple as wiring it directly to the CV out via a passive mixing resistor.

I did something similar with my Oddy when I added aftertouch - LFO CV Sine out into one lead of an FSR, the other lead from the FSR to the Kbd CV mix via a 100k resistor.

User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Broadwave wrote:
Reginator wrote: You're playing my song - I'm brave and stupid, and I'll take on that challenge! :D
Hopefully Korg didn't stray too far from the original Odyssey schematics other than adding MIDI, filters and the drive switch.
You just need to find out where the LFO output is, via the Mod PPC pad (not directly from he LFO out). It may be as simple as wiring it directly to the CV out via a passive mixing resistor.

I did something similar with my Oddy when I added aftertouch - LFO CV Sine out into one lead of an FSR, the other lead from the FSR to the Kbd CV mix via a 100k resistor.
Hey thanks for giving me a good place to start! I'm opening her up today to have a look. It'll be nice if that's needed to get vibrato out.

One cool thing about analog synths: you can go in and make adjustments to suit your tastes. ;)

User avatar
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:57 pm
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.
Location: UK

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by bochelli » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:48 pm

I would like to see inside one of these Korg Arps, I doubht the boards look anything like the genuine ones,
yamoto773

User avatar
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2164
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:03 pm
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar
Location: Pgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:58 pm


User avatar
Reginator
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Korg to release ARP Odyssey

Post by Reginator » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the video Jabberwalky! I've watched him dissect a lot of things :)

I've learned something about the PPC on original Odysseys after looking at retrofit instructions and the schematics.

Techie stuff: On the original Odyssey; the LFO is routed 'to' the PPC. When you press the vibrato pad the LFO varies the CV up to 3 semitones. This CV is first routed thru the CV Out and In jacks on the back of the Odyssey before going to the VCOs. The CV Out and In jacks are hard-wired to pass the CV from the Out jack to the In jack unless you have something plugged into the CV In jack. If Korg followed the original ARP design then PPC vibrato should be available at the CV Out jack. They must have goofed on this.

Non-Techie stuff: If Korg followed the original ARP design then PPC vibrato should be available on the CV Out jack.

Post Reply