Will Dave Smith reissue the Pro One?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Will Dave Smith reissue the Pro One?

Post by Swayze » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

Korg has been getting all the love lately and I'm sure the other synth companies are feeling some sibling rivalry. However, it's pretty obvious that Roland and Yamaha have moved on from analog and aren't looking back. At least that has been the case but maybe after a couple years of R&D they too will throw their hats in the ring. So who does that leave to compete with Korg in the analog realm today? Dave Smith. And if he owns the rights to analog classics like the Pro One, whats holding him back? Could he be working on a reissue as I type this? God I hope so...

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Will Dave Smith reissue the Pro One?

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm

He's on record as saying the Mopho (original keys version) is his new, updated version of the Pro One. Would be nice if he did, though.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Also Yamaha bought out Sequential Circuits when they went under didn't they? So Yamaha would own the patents, not DSI.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 pm

No, but Korg will :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

A couple of minor improvement suggestions for any company considering a re-issue of the Pro-One:

1.Separate Rate control for the Sequencer

2. Add Sample & Hold or at least Random Waveform to the LFO
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Also Yamaha bought out Sequential Circuits when they went under didn't they? So Yamaha would own the patents, not DSI.
That explains it, what a bummer. I guess the best we can expect from Dave right now would be any better sounding vco mono. If Yamaha finally does get around to reissuing the Pro One, it won't be as cool since the SCI legacy sort of lives on in DSI, albeit a completely different company. Playing a Yamaha Pro One just wouldn't feel right...:?

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 pm

I would imagine there's zero likelihood of Yamaha doing a Pro One. They can't even be bothered to introduce a new VA synth or dance oriented products to compete with Korg and Roland, so it's even more unlikely they\d do a new version of someone else's design.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 am

Based on what Dave said at the panel he was on at NAMM, it's pretty unlikely.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 am

To do a proper Pro One he would need the CEM3310, CEM3320 and CEM3340 in production again which ain't gonna happen... If he tried to do it with the DCOs and PA397 it wouldn't be any different than his DSI offerings...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Swayze

Post by Swayze » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 am

Word, you guys are addressing all the points I was curious about last night. So a brand new Pro One is simply out of the question...bugger. What I'd love to see then from Dave instead is a shift back to vco analog. No one could stop him from releasing a "Prophet One" or "Prophet 01" :lol:

Start from the ground up, maybe paint it white this time, cover it with those ballsy black knobs and call it a day. I don't really care if it's a reissue, just as long as it sounds great and is flexible. I know he claimed the Mopho was sorta the reincarnation of the Pro One, but I owned one and it just fell short IMHO. Those DCO's don't cut it for me, but I'm a bit of a tone freak and hard to please. My problem, not his. In any case, I'm curious to see how DSI responds to Korg's recent offerings.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 am

There are so many VCO synths on the market right now, especially monos. Personally, I'm more interested in what dave smith is doing with the prophet 12. I'd much rather see some newer technology and hybrid synthesis as the market is pretty heavily saturated with analog monosynths these days.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 am

if dave smith can somehow get those old ICs made again... i'd be pretty happy... i'd buy a bunch just to make sure my P5 lives longer - i really doubt he will do it but all of the old SCI gear owners would be so happy just to have these parts be available again - my P5 is @ three wave music right now... i spotted something like 6+ Prophet 5's in that place getting worked on... it'd be smart if someone made a new bunch of products that use those ICs... memory moog and jupiter 6 owners would benefit too - heck i might even buy the new product that used the old parts

final note... i dont understand why DSI doesnt use any VCOs at all on any products

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:19 am

8bit9bot wrote:final note... i dont understand why DSI doesnt use any VCOs at all on any products
Dave Smith has gone on record as thinking that DCOs are superior and that they just got a bad rap due to low-res early digital control, and thinks that adding adjustable "slop" to the pitch is sufficient to mimic the desireable qualities of VCOs. I don't think he's right, but he certainly seems to be staying that course.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:24 am

How quickly we forget...

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am

8bit9bot wrote:if dave smith can somehow get those old ICs made again... i'd be pretty happy... i'd buy a bunch just to make sure my P5 lives longer - i really doubt he will do it but all of the old SCI gear owners would be so happy just to have these parts be available again
Have you seen my web page? I have those chips available... :D
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com