Will Dave Smith reissue the Pro One?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Will Dave Smith reissue the Pro One?

Post by Solderman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 am

synthparts wrote:To do a proper Pro One he would need the CEM3310, CEM3320 and CEM3340 in production again which ain't gonna happen
Why not? I've heard there are still plants that can manufacture these, it's just that they want a very large bulk order first. With the ever increasing demand for analogue monosynths these days, it looks more like a possibility if indeed someone can still manufacture them. Just wish the same could be said for the BA662 and IR3109.

BTW, you probably would need those chips listed in the quote above to get that nice round bass that the Pro~One is famous for. I think the sawtooth wave in the 3340 is linear, and running through that particular filter is likely how you get that sound.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:54 am

The Pro-1 would be a clever vintage synth to re-release... You could use a really cheap, nasty case and no-one could complain that that it wasn't just like the original. :twisted: Come to think of it there is a certain English duophonic synth with an even worse case that would actually be really easy to re-create, and you could use crappy circuit boards AND a crappy case to save money - Just like the original. :D
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:55 am

Solderman wrote:
synthparts wrote:To do a proper Pro One he would need the CEM3310, CEM3320 and CEM3340 in production again which ain't gonna happen
Why not? I've heard there are still plants that can manufacture these, it's just that they want a very large bulk order first. With the ever increasing demand for analogue monosynths these days, it looks more like a possibility if indeed someone can still manufacture them. Just wish the same could be said for the BA662 and IR3109.

BTW, you probably would need those chips listed in the quote above to get that nice round bass that the Pro~One is famous for. I think the sawtooth wave in the 3340 is linear, and running through that particular filter is likely how you get that sound.
Are there any IC fabrication plants left in the world that use 1980's mask and substrate technology?
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 pm

I've no idea but if there's no other option, it's probably worth finding out!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:29 pm

I think there is a reason why it's called DSI and not Sequential Circuits anymore..So I guess Dave can't just reissue old prophet synths for the heck of it?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Well, he's obviously got the rights to the Prophet name and look; I'd hazard a guess that the differences between SCI's old line and DSI's new line have more to do with availability of components and his advocation for newer(-ish) analog technologies like DCOs than with rights issues.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 am

Acording to the Wine Country web site, the Sequential Circuits repair authority:

The trademarks
PROPHET®, SEQUENTIAL, SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS
are trademarks of Yamaha Corporation used by
Wine Country Productions, Inc. under license.

So perhaps still owned by Yamaha.

I don't see the CEM or SSM chips being reproduced anytime soon. One would first need the schematic of the chip, some that might still be unreleased info. Just making a simple 741 op-amp chip on a SMT board would require 20 transistors and about 11 resistors. As SMT gets smaller, the possibility to reconstruct an IC becomes more realistic. To reproduce a CEM 3310 oscillator in SMT, could be a sizeable board though. I could see this being a hugh boost in DIY sales, just as it was when these chips were introduced. But those chips would need to be cloned/reproduced before any ideas of reproducing the synthesizers that used those chips.
Now, synthesizers that used descrete or comon IC's would be easier today to reproduce. Enter in the Oberheim SEM and now the ARP Odyssey, both mostly off the shelf descrete parts. While the MS-20 did have the Korg 35 filter IC, Korg knew how to make a clone, the rest was still mostly discrete circuits. An ARP Axxe, Minimoog, or even the Moog modular circuits would be easier to clone in todays SMT, than a Pro~1 that used quite a few of those CEM chips.
I don't believe any of the synthesizers we love and know that used any special IC's or LSI's are going to be easy to reproduce today unless you totally redesign. Perhaps tomorrow's technology will bring a new and easy way to reproduce these chips.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

CEM is still around, though, and still making audio ICs. I understand that SSM passed on to Analog Devices, which is also still around. One would think it would only require sufficient demand to get their classic parts reissued...?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Will Smith reissue the Pro One?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:28 am

This is not the first time I've heard speculation about this particular topic.

Will Smith reissue the Pro One? I've heard yes, here's a photo of him with the prototype:

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 am

:laugh3: :agree:

mute

Post by mute » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 am

hahaha..nice. surprised it took that long to get here :)

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Dave Smith always makes it clear that he's not a nostalgic guy. He doesn't get all dreamy about old synths like the rest of us. I imagine to him, the idea of reissuing a Prophet-5 or Pro-One is sort of like if Samsung got the rights to a 1976 Zenith System 3 television and reissued it... inferior in every way and pointless. I don't agree- I still think my Prophet-5, though far more limited operationally, is tonally superior to anything DSI has ever made. But that's not where Dave is coming from.

As for getting Curtis chips re-made, obviously I'm not the world authority, but I seriously doubt it will EVER happen. In the grand scheme of the manufacturing world, there isn't enough demand to warrant it (in other words, synth nerds are a tiny fraction compared to the general world of consumer electronics). And to make a Prophet or Pro-One, you need four different Curtis chips (VCO, VCF, VCA, env generator), so that's four chips to recreate.
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 pm

I think a new run of CEM or SSM chips could happen, but it would likely take serious interest from a company wanting to mass-reproduce one of the classics, and I'm not sure who, at this point, would fit that bill. DSI, as stated, isn't really a backward-looking company so much as just a company that still thinks analog in general has merit, Roland evidently still has no interest in analog at all, Tom Oberheim seems to be content with the SEM remake. Did Korg ever make much use of these? IIRC the filter in the Polysix was an SSM, but I don't know about any of their other later analog stuff...same goes for Yamaha (who, like Roland, seem to not care about the analog revival much.)

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:18 pm

A friend had the Zenith System 3, with the Space Command remote! That was the coolest name for a cool device!!

By the way, LG owns Zenith now...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 pm

commodorejohn wrote:I think a new run of CEM or SSM chips could happen, but it would likely take serious interest from a company wanting to mass-reproduce one of the classics ...
Exactly. A big player (like Roland, Korg, or Yamaha) would have promise to buy a c**p-ton of these things. And if that happened, yes, someone would produce them. It's all about demand and profitability.

Frankly, I don't think a manufacturer would even get out of bed to take Dave Smith's order. No offense, but the company just doesn't move enough product to warrant the cost it would take to produce these chips again.