Ensoniq KT-88 equivalent model in synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq KT-88 equivalent model in synth

Postby vcs3 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:29 pm

I found this video (via matrixsynth) of a Ensoniq KT-88

Watch on youtube.com

and liked a lot it sounds fantastic special the first 6 minutes.

My question is what Ensoniq synth is equivalent to this workstation?
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Re: Ensoniq KT-88 equivalent model in synth

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Um, the KT76?? ;)

Ensoniq always made workstations with only a few exceptions like the original VFX.

The KT88 followed the TS series, I'm not sure if it continued with the Transwave engine or not but it's definitely sample-based. It does have resonant filters which the early Transwave instruments lacked.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby somebedroomdj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 pm

The Kt's do have some Transwaves in the waveform list. IIRC it was like either 9 or 13 different ones. The 76 and 88 are identical, except for the number of keys, of course.

Nice sounding rompler, some really nice, shimmering pad sounds.
Finally pared down to 3 machines and no GAS for months!
Tempest | Spectralis | MV-8800

I have a 64 patch Tempest soundset for 10 bucks, Here (16 bass drums, 48 synth patches)
somebedroomdj

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 am

The MR series is very similar engine-wise and has a rack version available.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby keykrazy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 am

I just wanted to add a few points to this three-years-old post. (Might be buying one of these tomorrow if the price is right...)

AFAIK, the sound-engine is closer to the SQ- series than the MR's. Like someone else mentioned -- and according to the manual -- it does include some Transwaves (like the SQ series). I believe there are 100 preset sounds and 100 user (which can be doubled if you shell out the bucks for a PCMCIA card -- which are likely rare these days.) Both the KT-88 as well as the 76-key version came out after the SQ series so it has the bonus of additional waveforms and drum samples.

So to answer OP's question the closet model would probably be the SQ-2 (albeit with 76 keys). The KS-32 would be very similar as well; it came out about one year after the SQ models.

Source: Out of the 37 keyboards i'm currently holding (not including my melodicas or kalimbas ;-) ) -- i think about 10 of them are Ensoniq 'boards. Off-hand i know i have about 3 EPS's, which were my first love. <3 Others: an ESQ-1, SQ1+, two faulty KS-32's i intend to merge into one working model, an MR-61, and a TS-12.

If you do score one of these i implore you to check the operation of ALL the keys before you lay down your hard-earned cash; it seems on older 76- and 88-key keyboards there can be a bum note here and there or maybe a key that doesn't respond to changes in velocity as well as the others.
keykrazy

Gear: [too many to list in 150 characters]

Return to General Synthesizers