VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

DCO competition! Are you participating?

Yes
48%
No
12%
Maybe...?
39%

Total votes: 33

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I can't find any definitive info on whether the Analog Four is VCO or DCO, Elektron don't use either term. Seems DCO from the options it has available, but don't know for sure. I doubt you could do half the stuff it can do with VCOs, but who knows? Everything else I own is either digital or VCOs.
Sound on Sound says DCO, that's good enough for me unless someone comes up with an official source stating otherwise.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:10 am

Cool, that's what I thought. I'm in then.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:27 am

I´m in with the Tempest again
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 am

I'm seeing a roughly 50/50 split between modern and vintage DCOs so far. This could get interesting.
You can't synthesize love

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 am

*uses a ESQm*

it says DCOS right on the front!!!!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Yeah, pretty sure a4 is DCO. I could use that again but I could use crumar stratus or cs01. I would really love to use the welson syntex as it's by far my favourite synth and James walker (synth techy) said it was DCO. It's early for DCO but it would make sense the fact the tuning is rock solid from power up. Might do some digging to find out.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

As clumsy as the P800 is, I'm becoming much more comfortable with it thanks to this contest. Spend a little time with it, and it turns out it's actually not as frustrating as a DX7.
You can't synthesize love

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:58 pm

zoomtheline wrote:I would really love to use the welson syntex as it's by far my favourite synth and James walker (synth techy) said it was DCO. It's early for DCO but it would make sense the fact the tuning is rock solid from power up. Might do some digging to find out.
This guy has the service manual for it, you might find some clues in there if you can get it from him...

vuuv

Post by vuuv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:37 am

having never entered one of these, i might do this, but... how far can i push the "two effects" requirement? if i used reverb as one, does that mean one setting, as a send, maybe, or can i use varying levels of decay for various tracks? does simple eqing count as an effect? i mean, from what it seems, the point is to highlight and let one single synth shine, so i'm not gonna run everything through some goofy granular vst, but just to be clear!
Last edited by vuuv on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 am

When I did the comp I put on, it was 2 FX "types" to be used or manipulated how you wanted. EQ/Compression were not considered FX. Up to these guys as to how they define that.

moodorf
Gear: Little Phatty (needs repair)
Blofeld
DSI Prophet 08
Ensoniq SQ80
Pittsburgh Modular System 10
Renoise
FL

Post by moodorf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:13 am

I might contribute to the contest, though I have been having something of a writer's block lately.... :(

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 am

vuuv wrote:having never entered one of these, i might do this, but... how far can i push the "two effects" requirement? if i used reverb as one, does that mean one setting, as a send, maybe, or can i use varying levels of decay for various tracks? does simple eqing count as an effect? i mean, from what it seems, the point is to highlight and let one single synth shine, so i'm not gonna run everything through some goofy granular vst, but just to be clear!
We'll stick with the rules as previously practiced - two types of effect, you can use multiple different settings as you please, simple EQ/compression doesn't count. We're not trying to be super anal about this, it's just that, as you say, the point is to take a specific synth and make that mother sing.

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:34 am

moodorf wrote:I might contribute to the contest, though I have been having something of a writer's block lately.... :(
That's all the more reason to do it! Seriously, one of the biggest cures to writers' block is to give yourself a deadline and finish something. It's better to finish a less than perfect song than never to finish anything at all.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

commodorejohn wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:I would really love to use the welson syntex as it's by far my favourite synth and James walker (synth techy) said it was DCO. It's early for DCO but it would make sense the fact the tuning is rock solid from power up. Might do some digging to find out.
This guy has the service manual for it, you might find some clues in there if you can get it from him...
Good find! i'll email the chap.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

I'll pass, since I haven't got a DCO synth anymore. But for the next month, some suggestions:
- Green or Blue synths only
- Broken/Faulty synths
- Black keys only (pentatonic)
- Unison month
- Amped and tracked (live room)
- Four hands (two players)
- One note (drone fest)
- Analog FM
- Faster faster p***y (160 BPM +)
- Funny tracks (comedic)
- Filter adultery (1 synth into another)
- Synths in the wild (mixed with homemade
field recordings)
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music