VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

DCO competition! Are you participating?

Yes
48%
No
12%
Maybe...?
39%

Total votes: 33

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:41 am

Well, if you would so graciously lower yourself to using something with DCOs and win the competition, you can make the next one, and make a one synth no effects competition! I will be the first to join. And while we're on about not using crutches, I would be happy to make that entry without a computer also.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:32 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:the joy of this competition exists in doing something wonderful within the confines of it.
This about sums it up for me. I'm using a synth that I never even liked, and being forced within the rules of this contest, I'm discovering that it's simply because I never gave it much of a chance. Now, because of this contest, I'm becoming much more familiar with it, and that alone makes it worth it.
You can't synthesize love

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Oh my GOD. I'm not even into DCOs, and I'm not going to enter this competition... but the joy of this competition exists in doing something wonderful within the confines of it. If you can't do anything interesting within those confines, then SHUT UP. JEEZ. What is WRONG with people? I say that if you really want to kick some a*s, write something great that doesn't use effects at ALL. Do something NO ONE ELSE CAN DO, and stop whining when no one will let you use your crutches.
You make so much sense but how do you come across like an elitest d**k at the same time, i'll never know.
I have heard your music and while it's good and jolly enough, it's not the pinnacle of synthesizer music. Once you realise this maybe you'll start giving other people less of a hard time for doing things their way.
Would you enter one of these comps for fun? I'd really like to hear the more vocal peoples music, it would be really cool to know where we all are and come from. Sure, there will be people that are more collectors/hobbiest/technical people here that will not want to enter but, like I say, It would be really cool to hear them. There is no judgement or malice in these, it's more of a back slap and bit of a circle j**k if you like.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 pm

I would put the song I'm working on on the back burner and start a new one with no effects as a trade off to bring AG into this competition - even with something in his arsenal. Maybe use a Wurlitzer or something? I would love to hear a song entirely done on one of those. Bring us the joy of hearing something wonderful done within the confines of the Wurlitzer, or even the arp 2600. It's rare; we want to hear it do it's thing: let's have it! Again, I would be willing to give a little up to get you the room for a special allowance since it's not DCO. 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Well, if you would so graciously lower yourself to using something with DCOs and win the competition, you can make the next one, and make a one synth no effects competition! I will be the first to join. And while we're on about not using crutches, I would be happy to make that entry without a computer also.
Actually, I may be using a lot of things with DCOs soon... we'll see.
I don't have a DCO synth right now, though. It's not an elitist thing! It's at least one thing I'm not being a d**k about. ;)

I'm looking around for something to be fair and enter with, but I really honestly don't have anything DCO! About the best I could do would be Yamaha PSS-680, but that's pretty "digitally controlled." ;)

I think these competitions are awesome, and they really give people a chance to show what they can do. I think I entered one a million years ago, and haven't since. I have no excuse for not having entered because so many of them have interested me. I deserve scorn for it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:35 pm

We should actually do a Home keyboard one definitely. I use a pss 390 and 570 regularly.
See if the OP will allow one for this ;)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Hahaha, that would be fun :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

HH

Post by HH » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 am

maybe somehow Monopoly is a DCO? :-P
Ofcourse can do something with a juno ...

another question: 2 effects per entire mix or can be used on each overdub?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:56 am

Two specific kinds of effect - you can use as many different settings for them as you like, on whichever parts.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:07 am

zoomtheline wrote:We should actually do a Home keyboard one definitely. I use a pss 390 and 570 regularly.
See if the OP will allow one for this ;)
This would be a fun deviation from the usual themes. A lot of my best material was done on a PSR-740. If this ends up being the next contest, count me in.
You can't synthesize love

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Okay, for absolutely no good reason, and despite being pretty certain I did, it appears that I didn't write down the login information for the SoundCloud account I created, or the GMail account I created to register it with. So here's the new account instead: https://soundcloud.com/vse-03-14-dco-competition

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:23 pm

OK, I'm in if it's not too late. Just got a minty Juno 106 on the weekend and already have a pretty good start on a track.

Slightly unrelated question, but is it normal for the chorus to be so noisy? It's like a noticeable noise sweepy woosh when not playing, and it can be heard over quieter patches; the chorus itself sounds great, so pretty sure it isn't malfunctioning. Sure I can cancel it with a notch filter or some EQ'ing, just was kind of surprised how noticeable it is. Loving the synth already though. Took me all of 5 minutes to program my drum sounds on it.

Also, if I use the chorus on the 106, does that count towards the effects?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm

The noise in that chorus is normal :thumbright:

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

So the Dave Smith Prophet 12 or Elektron A4 qualify?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Yeah I reckon.