VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

DCO competition! Are you participating?

Yes
48%
No
12%
Maybe...?
39%

Total votes: 33

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Unfortunately, I'm not going to get one in - I overshot and wasn't able to get my piece recorded before leaving to visit my family for the rest of the month...ah well.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:As for the chorus counting towards effects count, that kind of sucks. The comp is to compare one synth to the other, the chorus is part of the synth and is a defining characteristic.
That's debatable, especially when that defining characteristics begins to overlap with what multi-tracking will similarly accomplish, usually with better results. Unless you like the noise and muddiness that come with, of course. I say good riddance, myself.

I used the Alpha Juno for my entry, with a good bit of double-tracking and layering, no chorus and one delay. I can already tell it isn't going to win, but it was fun for the 2 days I worked on it. :D
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:52 pm

My point was simply that the sound of the chorus on a JUNO106 is a trade mark of the synth and definitely its most distinguishable characteristic. Honestly, take away the chorus on a patch and it could just as easily be any number of other synths. That being said, I was also making the point that if the comp was to compare what one synth could do versus another, the chorus is part of the synth; if the synth somebody else chose to use doesn't have a chorus built in, too bad. It just seemed odd to me to stipulate that you had to use 1 synth for all parts of the song, but to say you couldn't use all the functions of the synth without it counting as one of the effects used because not all synths may have a built in chorus.

Either way, my song was done following these guidelines, so the chorus counted towards my effects count.

I think it would be cool to do another comp based on themes rather than gear used after this.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
I think it would be cool to do another comp based on themes rather than gear used after this.
Yes, I'm going to vote on whoever I think is going to change the theme for the next round. :lol:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:46 am

I finished my song like 2 weeks ago, but there's some final eq stuff I've been too lazy to do. I had thought to expand part of it to give it a bit more development toward the end, but I will probably submit it w/o that revision. At the beginning of next month, if whoever wins really wants to host the next one, then I'm definitely in. If nothing happens after a few days, or there's another one-synth going on, I will host a concept based competition (and possibly participate in both, muahaha! 8-) ). What do you all think of the two ideas we discussed previously? Anyone have any additional ideas about what we should do next, or a strong preference for something already on the table?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:23 pm

So what is the last time to get your entry in? I just realized you can make drums on a Juno 106 lol. I've had this synth since 89 so makes sense I should jump in and participate.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:31 pm

The deadline is: have it in before the clock (CST) rolls over to Tuesday, April 1st. If there's a number of people who can't make that but can finish in the space of an additional week, we might look at having a grace period, but we'd like to avoid dragging it out to the middle of April like with the previous contest.

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:41 pm

commodorejohn wrote:The deadline is: have it in before the clock (CST) rolls over to Tuesday, April 1st. If there's a number of people who can't make that but can finish in the space of an additional week, we might look at having a grace period, but we'd like to avoid dragging it out to the middle of April like with the previous contest.
I didn't see any obvious way to upload to the sound cloud page

If that is the deadline that that's it sometimes it's good I guess to be forced to hurry. Though if there was more time available I'd take it

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 pm

PM me when you're ready and I'll give you the login information for the Soundcloud account.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:50 am

Well I'm out. Too much time devoted to the band. Which is a good thing really. Hope to hear some sexy tracks.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:41 pm

s**t, that crept up! If you extend then cool, if not I will try and do the same as last time and knock a last minute thing up on the A4 but I'm not going to get anything substantial done for tomorrow.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:52 am

Here's the link in case anyone wants to check out the jams

https://soundcloud.com/vse-03-14-dco-competition

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Well, that's it for the month. Is there anybody still working on a piece who could get it finished within a week's grace period?

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm

I'll try my hardest to get something done tonight.

Some great stuff in already by the way, Props!

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:59 pm

YA, I needed to record, arrange and mix this all this weekend but was laid out with a migraine until today. If we can get a few more days, or even until the end of the weekend coming up that would be great. Either way, I will be finishing my submission and posting it here, whether it is actually in the comp or not. I can try and get it done tonight, but I will likely have to work late at work to catch up from being off yesterday, so we shall see.

Sorry for the delay.

Oh s**t, whoever did Ken's theme is awesome!!!