VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

DCO competition! Are you participating?

Yes
48%
No
12%
Maybe...?
39%

Total votes: 33

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Post by Z » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I don't know... No audio manipulation Kind of sucks the fun out of working within the limitations, don't you think?
WHY? The point of these "single synth" competitions is to PUSH THE LIMITS of said synth. Is there no interesting music ever made without audio manipulation? If you answer "yes", then you have absolutely no appreciation for music.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Z wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:I don't know... No audio manipulation Kind of sucks the fun out of working within the limitations, don't you think?
WHY? The point of these "single synth" competitions is to PUSH THE LIMITS of said synth. Is there no interesting music ever made without audio manipulation? If you answer "yes", then you have absolutely no appreciation for music.
while were on appreciation for music....

i think its odd that the only time i hardly ever hear forum members talk about actually making music and not blagging on about f**k filters all day is once a month, in 'competition' with other forum members, to cram a track exclusively full of one type of synth...

you guys have fun with that....

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 pm

I don't even know what you are trying to say here to be honest. However, I am listening to your level one music right now and it's rad.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Z wrote:
Somehow 'sucking the fun out of the competition' became 'the only interesting music that has ever been made was made with audio manipulation?' I'm sorry, how did that happen again? It would be a fallacy to even reason from 'no audio manipulation meant we weren't going to have interesting entries' to 'no interesting music was ever made without audio manipulation.' Not only did I not say this, I did not even imply a connection OR make any such claim.

Personally, I'm using delay and reverb as my effects with an s2000- qx3 combo instead of a DAW and a Jx-8p with no pg800. I can use the delays to get around doing stuff like stutter editing drum hits and pitch shifting phrases, reverb to get around looping parts for additional pads and ambience and all that. The funky stuff. But it's just little things, like conserving memory in the s2000, and then just the fun of folding the parts in on each other to see how far you can go with them. It's basically just a little more elaborate version of what you're doing when you use the synth to make a drum kit, and multitrack it. And again, the month is almost half over. It's late in the game to come out with this restriction. Perhaps stab frenzy was right, that the easiest way to confront the limitation is just cut a few corners and not mention it, but I think it deserves chastisement.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Sounds like you're not doing any more than chopping and arranging in a daw which a lot of us may do anyway. I wouldn't call it sound manipulation. I guess, as long as the DCO synth in question does all the talking then it's all good. Just carry on. I don't see the point in animosity in a thread that should be a really positive thing... Making nerds actually make music ;).

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:19 pm

c-level wrote: i think its odd that the only time i hardly ever hear forum members talk about actually making music and not blagging on about f**k filters all day is once a month, in 'competition' with other forum members, to cram a track exclusively full of one type of synth...

I think the intention of the competitions is to get people writing and appreciating their own music, along with finding out new or interesting ways to use the tools.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm

And to showcase synths, which is why we are all here. We'd be on a production forum otherwise.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Ugh. This forum is generally depressing.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
c-level wrote: i think its odd that the only time i hardly ever hear forum members talk about actually making music and not blagging on about f**k filters all day is once a month, in 'competition' with other forum members, to cram a track exclusively full of one type of synth...

I think the intention of the competitions is to get people writing and appreciating their own music, along with finding out new or interesting ways to use the tools.
zoomtheline wrote:And to showcase synths, which is why we are all here. We'd be on a production forum otherwise.
Both of you are articulating where my criticism is coming from better than I have. When zooms quoted goal gets too much of the focus, and it starts impacting jabbers quoted goal negatively; I feel the competitions are a lot less enjoyable. And the rules should be there to preserve the enjoyment, not diminish it. I say if a little sample mangling helps balance the goals, mangle! And keep in mind, while many folks are working in ableton, editing with what I'm using has been described as trying to decorate the hallway through a letter box wearing boxing gloves! Don't expect any autechre over here. :D

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Ugh. This forum is generally depressing.
Hopefully I'm not sucking all the fun out of it for you by focusing to heavily on the guidelines, guy. ;)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Haha, i can't even work out if I'm being dissed or not.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 pm

No, I agree: what you posted is important, and well said.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 am

when do we get the log in info to start posting our tracks?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:27 am

Good question. I've just created the account - http://soundcloud.com/vse-dco-synth-competition - PM me for login info whenever you feel like it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 am

Oh my GOD. I'm not even into DCOs, and I'm not going to enter this competition... but the joy of this competition exists in doing something wonderful within the confines of it. If you can't do anything interesting within those confines, then SHUT UP. JEEZ. What is WRONG with people? I say that if you really want to kick some a*s, write something great that doesn't use effects at ALL. Do something NO ONE ELSE CAN DO, and stop whining when no one will let you use your crutches.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay