VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

DCO competition! Are you participating?

Yes
48%
No
12%
Maybe...?
39%

Total votes: 33

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: VSE March Competition: DCO Synths!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm

ejlif wrote:So the Dave Smith Prophet 12 or Elektron A4 qualify?
A4: yes
P12: no because they are digital oscillators not DCOs

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh, I thought they had extra digi oscillators. Assuming is never a good thing. Maybe I was distracted by the clever Mod routing learn function.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:OK, I'm in if it's not too late. Just got a minty Juno 106 on the weekend and already have a pretty good start on a track.

Slightly unrelated question, but is it normal for the chorus to be so noisy? It's like a noticeable noise sweepy woosh when not playing, and it can be heard over quieter patches; the chorus itself sounds great, so pretty sure it isn't malfunctioning. Sure I can cancel it with a notch filter or some EQ'ing, just was kind of surprised how noticeable it is. Loving the synth already though. Took me all of 5 minutes to program my drum sounds on it.

Also, if I use the chorus on the 106, does that count towards the effects?
I think they decided that It does count towards the effects. I haven't noticed a noisy chorus in my 60. Love the juno for drum sounds! Don't be afraid to use the high pass filter for bass drum patches. At first I thought I wanted to preserve the low end as much as possible, but doing side by side comparisons with my 808, I noticed the right bass drum sound was just slightly off in that the super lows were out of control. A little high pass later and you almost can't tease the two apart! I also found that a square wave peaking through above the self osc where the filter just starts to open gives just the right timbre to those frequencies. And if you browse the sound on sound articles about drum sounds, you should be able to get the 808 cow bell on it with the self osc as well, although I should mention my 808's bell is a higher pitch than the one I got using the sos frequencies; but again: tweaking, tweaking. :ugeek:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm

I found several reviews and videos online that showed the same thing for the chorus; like I said, it's mainly noticeable when not playing or really quiet patches. I could cancel it pretty easily, and you don't notice it when playing normal patches.

As for the drum sounds, it is really great. I'm used to synthesizing my own with gameboys and stuff, so it's easy for me to dial them in on most synths at this point.

As for the chorus counting towards effects count, that kind of sucks. The comp is to compare one synth to the other, the chorus is part of the synth and is a defining characteristic.

Either way, if it counts toward the 2 I'm still good.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:As for the chorus counting towards effects count, that kind of sucks. The comp is to compare one synth to the other, the chorus is part of the synth and is a defining characteristic.
+1

That Roland Chorus is as much a part of the Roland synth sound as any other parameter on those synths (Junos, JX-3P...) that is shouldn't count as an extra effect. The only effects limits should be placed on outboard effects.

It would be like taking the early digital effects off a D-50 - it's just an integral part of that synth.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:50 pm

:lol: You guys are preaching to the choir, but I think that is addressed in the first page (unlike sampling :x ). I think they're doing a home keyboard competition next, so maybe when this is over we can get a second one going that can be a bit of a departure. I was thinking we could do something where each person gets a word that would become the theme of their song, viz.. earth, violence, transportation, love, ect. (ideally one sample related to the word per 8 bars would be cool if it were a sampling heavy comp). Or we could pick a short clip on youtube and each person could score it. Alternate intro music to a T.V. theme like transformers, or M.A.S.H or something? Could be pretty awesome.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm

I like that idea. On another forum I use we did a music comp thingy where someone chose a film and we sampled what we wanted from youtube clips and made a tune.
Film was Requiem for a dream and this was my tune using just samples from the film on the Machinedrum.
https://soundcloud.com/zoomthelineandeye/req

It would be good to mix it up next couple of comps.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Ya, that would be fun. I like the idea of comp's more geared around a theme or topic rather than specific gear, lets more people get involved.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Also, if I use the chorus on the 106, does that count towards the effects?
Yep, onboard effects count if you use them. I do understand the "effects are part of the sound" line of thought, but we're basically just sticking with the rules as we've practiced them thus far.
ejlif wrote:So the Dave Smith Prophet 12 or Elektron A4 qualify?
The A4 qualifies, but as has been pointed out, the Prophet 12 is a hybrid synth using digital oscillators, not DCOs.
ninja6485 wrote:I was thinking we could do something where each person gets a word that would become the theme of their song, viz.. earth, violence, transportation, love, ect.
This is kind of a fun idea; I participated in a game compo for a few years that did this and it gave some really interesting results.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Okay, for absolutely no good reason, and despite being pretty certain I did, it appears that I didn't write down the login information for the SoundCloud account I created, or the GMail account I created to register it with. So here's the new account instead: https://soundcloud.com/vse-03-14-dco-competition
How does this work? How do I upload a track here?

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 pm

'Just started my DCO-track tonight... Image
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 pm

antilles wrote:How does this work? How do I upload a track here?
PM me and I'll send you the login info.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

About a week left, folks!

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Been busy making music with my band. Not sure I'll squeeze something in. Hopefully this weekend!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I've been using my Poly61 a lot, but always want to use other things for bass etc. I hope to get something done this weekend too.