Difference Between Digital and Virtual Analog Synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Difference Between Digital and Virtual Analog Synths?

Post by Pro5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 am

Goose wrote: And, that digital synthesizers that aren't VA won't have a bunch of knobs like LFO Waveforms those things, and would be patch-players, with some settings, for people who are really good at piano and are playing at a church or something.

JD-800 :)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:18 am

Goose wrote:Is being a virtual analog a subjective thing? Are synths definitely or definitely not VA or is it pretty much whatever the company calls it? I mean, the Novation Novas are pretty modern sounding, but they're called Virtual Analogs, which confuses me a little, I don't really get it. "modelled on analog methods and designs" sounds pretty general, like something that'd be in a lot of product descriptions. I might be looking too far into it though. Okay, here's something that might help, why is the Microkorg considered virtual analog but the Roland JD-800 isn't? Sorry for the endless questions by the way
THE MAIN THING (sorry caps) is not the control surface it's the sound creation method most importantly at the oscillator level. If a digital synth uses DSP/Software to create live versions of waveforms (like an rough simulation of what analog does) then it IS a virtual analog in that respect (to be what most would term a true VA you would need the control surface to go with it - see further down re D-50).

If it uses static samples (rompler) then it isn't. If it uses FM (not static but not analog simulation) then it isn't. I think you are worrying a bit too much about terms instead of just listening and enjoying a synth.

It is SIMPLE.

A Digital synth tends to be either FM, PCM (or hybrid), or VA - to simplify the main types.

FM and VA create waveforms 'on the fly' or 'live' if you will by referring to code, algorithms, systems... blah blah to create a sound's starting block that isn't exactly 'static' (so more akin to analog which constantly create waveforms live/on the fly).

On the other side (PCM/Romplers like the JD-800) use STATIC PCM SAMPLES as their basis for sound creation. THAT is the fundamental difference between romplers and VA. The fact VA have nice control surfaces is just because they do, because it was part of the marketing and the ethos of the instrument. Nothing to stop a Rompler having that (JD-800) it's just a very rare and now-a-days almost pointless endevour as they found that DSP/on the fly creation of waveforms (VA) was more lively and more akin to 'real analog' than the romplers/sampled/pcm synths (so those type now tend to be the big workstations or preset machines with gigabytes of samples in, while the VAs rarely if ever use samples - ms2000 etc CAN use some samples but it's a feature not forced).

The Roland D-50 is often called the 'first VA' (and yet you can see it does NOT have a knobby interface at all) because it's a digital recreation of an analog process (live waveforms created on the fly by software) - yes it ALSO has some short samples that you can tack on (optional) that gave it it's great sound at the time but now the D-50 is still revered due to that 'hypothetical analog synthesizer' (as roland calls it) inside that is always live, never static like a pure rompler.

You really can't class all digital synths under the same banner, there is a wide variety.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 am

ninja6485 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't virtual analogs attempt to recreate the physical circuitry of an analog synth digitally? In other words, a virtual analog filter will digitally model the circuits of an analog filter to replicate the way it behaves, while a standard digital filter is just focusing on getting the job done?

no. There have been a few NON VA digital synths with VERY VERY GOOD Digital Filters (Roland JD series for one).

Read my post above, a true VA is a combination of a NON STATIC OSCILLATOR SOURCE (NOT PCM!), An analog like architecture/engine (oscs > filters > envs etc) and a hands on control surface to complete the 'effect'. It is a digital simulation of an analog synthesizer from start to end - while some other digital synths only copy that AFTER the oscillator section (JD) and others only copy the filter/Envs (not analog like oscs, not analog like control surface).

If you actually play around with a few of these diff digital synths you'll find your answers in the sound and the way you program them.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Z wrote:All VAs are digital, but there are other types of synthesis that are only available with digital synths (or in which digital synths excel). Such syntheses include, but not limited to:

DGW (Digitally Generated Waveform) (found in many Ensoniqs, Kawai K3, Korg DW, PPG Wave & SCI Prophet VS)
Additive (Kawai K5 & K5000 among others)
Frequency Modulation (made famous by the Yamaha DX7)
ROMplers (pretty much all 'workstation' synths)
Physical Modelling (Korg Prophecy, Yamaha VL-1)
Granular (can't think of any hardware, but there's plenty o software)
additive, fm and granular are not exclusively digital.
your standard organ with multiple stops and 'percussion' (attack) is essentially an additive synth.
I use FM on my analog synths daily.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:37 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
Z wrote:All VAs are digital, but there are other types of synthesis that are only available with digital synths (or in which digital synths excel). Such syntheses include, but not limited to:

DGW (Digitally Generated Waveform) (found in many Ensoniqs, Kawai K3, Korg DW, PPG Wave & SCI Prophet VS)
Additive (Kawai K5 & K5000 among others)
Frequency Modulation (made famous by the Yamaha DX7)
ROMplers (pretty much all 'workstation' synths)
Physical Modelling (Korg Prophecy, Yamaha VL-1)
Granular (can't think of any hardware, but there's plenty o software)
additive, fm and granular are not exclusively digital.
your standard organ with multiple stops and 'percussion' (attack) is essentially an additive synth.
It is true that analog synths CAN do FM, but most hardwired analog synths cannot create the complex timbres of a 4+ operator FM synth, since these analog synths typically do not have more than two oscillators.

Also true that organs (with draw bars or stops) are also additive "synths", but with organs you are limited to certain timbres and/or footages and not able to add specific harmonics (integer or non-integer).
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Z wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: additive, fm and granular are not exclusively digital.
It is true that analog synths CAN do FM, but most hardwired analog synths cannot create the complex timbres of a 4+ operator FM synth, since these analog synths typically do not have more than two oscillators.

Also true that organs (with draw bars or stops) are also additive "synths", but with organs you are limited to certain timbres and/or footages and not able to add specific harmonics (integer or non-integer).
Saying that 'most hardwired analog synths cannot create the complex timbres of a 4+ operator FM synth' is placing an awful lot of qualifiers on that. Any modular of sufficient resources can do pretty fantastic FM, and if you get it working right I find that analog FM is kind of smoother and has more sublte variations in the timbre. I personally prefer the gritty awfulness of digital FM for certain tones. I can never get an analog rig to recreate the aliasing artifacts of digital (which I like!). Or the extreme frequency range of some FM patches. This is why I still have a DX27.
I only used the organ as an example as it was just recently pointed out to me that organs (and even the Korg Poly 800) have features of additive. But there are other forms of additive synthesis. Lets not forget the....well forgotten early synthesists that used tape,records and even wire recordings to construct tones and whole compositions. Though I suppose that kind of blurs the distinction between granular, additive and music concrete to the point where it becomes one of duration or degree of the elements used to construct the timbre.
Not trying to wind you up, I just thought it was something to point out.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Emiliano

Post by Emiliano » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Regarding how analog compares to digital (and analog emulations) at the bottom of this post you can find a few examples:
https://digituria.co/blog/analog-vs-digital-synths/
It compares different raw waves and filter sweeps.