Waldorf Streichfett

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Waldorf Streichfett

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:36 am

Sounds fantastic!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Funny, every time I apply butter to my bread, I think of Streichfett. So I suppose Waldorf were marketing geniuses afterall :D

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Sounds really good. Is there some sort of filter action involved on the second (or was it third) preset? Is that coming from the right side?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:Sounds really good. Is there some sort of filter action involved on the second (or was it third) preset? Is that coming from the right side?
Unfortunately there's no easy way to dissect patches.

That said, many of the sounds have filters on them and the choir sounds have formant filters that sound cool when you use the Animate to sweep through them. (The Animate effect seems to work differently on the choir sounds, only sweeping between the choir sounds and not beyond into the others, so you just get choir with modulation of the formant filter. On the other sounds the Animate seems to have a much wider sweep.)

The Solo sounds certainly have filters on them, some with a bit of an envelope as well IIRC. Listening again to that third preset (C1), there sounds to be some Tremolo on it as well, which is quite wide stereo at slower settings.

The Phaser behaves differently at different settings -- it's not just a depth/speed knob, the centre frequency seems to vary as well at different settings.

Another observation: unlike the Solina and like the Logan, the Streichfett is not paraphonic but fully articulated.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:45 pm

@ Jorvik
Good stuff! cheers for the demo ;) .

How well do you reckon it emulates the orginal 70s machines? Do you think its more for emulation, weird/original string sounds or both?

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Oh man, that does sound awesome!! Thanks for the demo

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:51 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:@ Jorvik
Good stuff! cheers for the demo ;) .
Thanks, you're welcome. I was lucky to get mine quite early so I thought it was the least I could do – I've been scouring the web for weeks for news/vids of this and also of the Sub 37 so I know how it feels to be waiting for anyone, anywhere to post something :lol:
madmarkmagee wrote:How well do you reckon it emulates the orginal 70s machines?

I only have a Solina (earlyish, I think, but not so early it doesn't have the ensemble off switch) and a Logan String Melody II. I've compared it with the Solina a couple of times and against the Logan very briefly, late last night. I intend doing a comparison vid at some point.

I don't think there's enough high end to get close to either one. It doesn't really sound close to the Solina: it's similar, but by no means nails the sound of mine. The brass sounds nothing like the Horn or Trumpet on the Solina.

The Logan's a different matter with having volume sliders for the violin, viola and 'cello registrations. Streichfett does sound quite close, but I have to vary the sliders on the SM to get it right :lol:. On the Streichfett, the extra octave is on/off and there's not a huge amount of overlap of violin and viola on the Registration knob so you haven't got the same degree of soundshaping.

Another difference is that the Solina is paraphonic, whereas the Logan is fully articulated: I don't know whether the Logan is the norm or an exception but I wish the Solina wasn't paraphonic. The Streichfett is also fully articulated, which is for the best I reckon.
madmarkmagee wrote:Do you think its more for emulation, weird/original string sounds or both?
I'm not familiar with the sounds of other string machines or the orchestral/non-string sounds of them. (In a way, I think Streichfett is more of a divide-down recreation rather than just a string machine: I would've liked to have seen more string sounds and less of the other sounds.) So I'm not sure how well it emulates other stringers.

I think it's a good general emulation – it might not nail any particular one but it sounds like a vintage string machine. The same is probably true of the solo sounds. With the layering of the solo section, the animate and other effects, I think it will be capable of weird and original sounds as well – that demo vid on Waldorf's site was an ear-opener!

Jorvik

Post by Jorvik » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Sorry, intended finishing this off last night, but other stuff came up. Hopefully some might find this useful or informative.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 pm

I think the demo is awesome. It's free of drum machines and layers of other sounds, which is what a product demo SHOULD be like.

Sure it's nice to hear the synth in a composition, but I always want to hear the gritty basics too.

Jorvik

Post by Jorvik » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:03 am

Bitexion wrote:I think the demo is awesome. It's free of drum machines and layers of other sounds, which is what a product demo SHOULD be like.
Cheers 8-)
Bitexion wrote:Sure it's nice to hear the synth in a composition, but I always want to hear the gritty basics too.
Yeah, plus other people will do a far better job, far quicker, than I'd be able to manage :oops: :lol:

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:50 am

Can't really find anything to pick on with the sound from this box - fantastic!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 am

Nice demo! Waldorf really did a great job on this synth.

Jorvik

Post by Jorvik » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 am

And now, number 3: The Larch...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:58 pm

So, the Solo section is basically like a sweep through a wavetable like on the Blofeld and the likes. Interesting.

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:57 pm

=D> =D>