Waldorf Streichfett

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Re: Waldorf Streichfett

Post by bhrama » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:36 am

Wow, this thing sounds nice! Really can't wait to obtain one. Makes the selling of my vp330 a wee bit less painful.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Korg Lamda? Awsome

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:00 pm

So, I finally got around to doing a comparison video at the beginning of the month and have now finally got around to finishing part 1 of the video (I couldn't keep the waffle below 15 minutes :oops: ).

After having spent a fair bit of time with the two together, I think Streichfett does a reasonable emulation of the String Melody II: it's not perfect, the ensemble isn't quite right, but it's pretty close.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:03 pm

thanks for doing that =D>
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Yeah, that was a good comparison

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am

The Logan sounds like a Streichfett run through a filter with high resonance. Quite interesting difference.

Jorvik
Gear: Axxe, Odyssey, Pro Soloist; Mopho keys, SE; Dark Energy, A100 modules; Solina; Volcas; String Melody II; Streichfett; Little Phatty, Sub37

Post by Jorvik » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:51 pm

shaft9000 wrote:thanks for doing that =D>
Dr. Phibes wrote:Yeah, that was a good comparison
Bitexion wrote:The Logan sounds like a Streichfett run through a filter with high resonance. Quite interesting difference.
Thanks for commenting here and on YT, glad it was useful 8-)

Here's part 2. It's probably not as interesting as it just covers paraphony (or lack thereof), attack/release times and the organ sounds (which aren't at all similar):

dswo

Post by dswo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Twenty-minute demo from Don Solaris:

David Wilson-Okamura

dswo

Post by dswo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 am

Three more demos from Audio Central Magazine:

David Wilson-Okamura

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm in love with this little black box. I just finished doing a quick and dirty cover of a much loved Jarre song Oxygene Part 1. I'll post the link here for those who want to hear the vintage string sounds of the 70's:

https://soundcloud.com/ranzee/oxygene-part-1-cover

For the gear freaks - instruments used:
Waldorf Streichfett, Arturia Minibrute, Novation Bass Station 2, Roland System-1 with SH-2 Plugout, Korg M3, Small Stone Phaser

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Jorvik wrote:After having spent a fair bit of time with the two together, I think Streichfett does a reasonable emulation of the String Melody II: it's not perfect, the ensemble isn't quite right, but it's pretty close.
Ey up indeed. ;)

Nice video, cheers for that. I dabbled with a Strichfett in the shop and thought it sounded pretty decent. I've had a couple of stingers, and they all sound different anyway, so I doubt the Streichfett is trying to directly emulate any specific one, but it does a fair job of covering the bases. Damn good value if you want those sounds as well, the old beasts are getting hard to maintain.

Jorvik

Post by Jorvik » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:11 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
Jorvik wrote:After having spent a fair bit of time with the two together, I think Streichfett does a reasonable emulation of the String Melody II: it's not perfect, the ensemble isn't quite right, but it's pretty close.
Ey up indeed. ;)
'ow do! ;) Just come in from shovelling t' snow...
nathanscribe wrote:Nice video, cheers for that. I dabbled with a Strichfett in the shop and thought it sounded pretty decent. I've had a couple of stingers, and they all sound different anyway, so I doubt the Streichfett is trying to directly emulate any specific one, but it does a fair job of covering the bases. Damn good value if you want those sounds as well, the old beasts are getting hard to maintain.
Glad you liked it!

Absolutely. One thing that's pissed me off is all the comments on YT and other places saying the Streichfett is s**t, sounds nothing like a "real" string machine, or ragging on it because it doesn't sound like insert favourite string machine here when my Logan and Solina probably also sound nothing like their favourite string machine (and certainly don't sound like each other). Unless their favourite is also a Solina or Logan and even then there's a good chance two Solinas or two String Melodies don't sound alike :lol:

Waldorf have created another string machine, one that stands on its own feet and is, as you say, a lot of bang for t' brass and which covers a lot of bases pretty well. It seems to get slagged for not meeting some people's unrealistic expectations. Take it for what it is and it's a great little thing, if you manage to come close to emulating a particular classic then that's a bonus :)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Hey, Kudos to Waldorf for taking the road less traveled. They could easily come out with another analog or analog emulation. That is the rage these days, and low hanging fruit as they say.
OTOH a lot of EM creators may have difficulty with this concept of notes, next to each other? On the same synth? At the same time?
Can I has step sequence that?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Jorvik wrote:'ow do! ;) Just come in from shovelling t' snow...
I'm stopping in and drinking till it goes away.
One thing that's pissed me off is all the comments on YT and other places saying the Streichfett is s**t, sounds nothing like a "real" string machine, or ragging on it because it doesn't sound like insert favourite string machine here when my Logan and Solina probably also sound nothing like their favourite string machine (and certainly don't sound like each other). Unless their favourite is also a Solina or Logan and even then there's a good chance two Solinas or two String Melodies don't sound alike :lol:

Waldorf have created another string machine, one that stands on its own feet and is, as you say, a lot of bang for t' brass and which covers a lot of bases pretty well. It seems to get slagged for not meeting some people's unrealistic expectations. Take it for what it is and it's a great little thing, if you manage to come close to emulating a particular classic then that's a bonus :)
Totally agree. I've replaced about 200 parts on my old Roland RS-101 and it *never* works for more than a few hours' use before something else buggers up. I've got two Lambdas, and have done some serious works on those keeping them going – last time I switched my regular one on, the ensemble decided to fail. Joy. And most of these things are made of unobtainium, so spares are very rare, and getting too pricey to justify bothering in some cases. I had to wait about two years to find one particular part, and things were getting so silly at one point I was prototyping a DIY clone of one of Korg's oscillators till I found someone who'd already done the work and I could just buy a replacement.

None of which problems plague the Streichfett. And by the time they do, we'll all be wearing string machines in our ears, and streaming retro Taylor Swift covers to each other by brainwaves (because by then she'll be a highly respected avant-garde experimentalist working in space, or something).

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:59 pm

seriously considering getting one of these,might wait a while longer in the hope they release a keyboard version,i have a roland rs202 am gonna sell in a year or so ,and will prob get one then,really liked the jarre tune and was wondering if someone on here could do an early new order type tune,cure tune,or joy division one? would also be interested in hearing the solo sounds, bass synth pluto etc.CHEERS and all the best