Waldorf Streichfett

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

Re: Waldorf Streichfett

Post by Ollimac73 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm

Completely fell in love with this beauty.
I believe it matches perfect with my actual SubPhatty....and the idea is to get the whole bundle including the Streichfett, and the Arturia Microbrute & Beatsteps.

How to link them together is still "under constructions" topic....hmmmm :D

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:28 am

So the sound on sound review of this fella refers to the yamaha sk series as digital stringers...this seems to fly in the face of everything i've learned
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:11 pm

It's is shocking but the SK stuff is very digital inside.
You always want just one more Synth!

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Yes, and that's the same 7 voices FM audio engine as in the Electone of those years, the D85 for example.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

incircles

Post by incircles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Bitexion wrote:The Logan sounds like a Streichfett run through a filter with high resonance. Quite interesting difference.
hm! could that be a way to fix the harsh brittleness that i find unpleasant about it? something like a moogerfooger mf-101? because i love the idea of the thing in theory but it just doesn't sound as graceful as i want it to.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm

it definitely needs a filter of some sort, which is probably why waldorf sell that 4 pole product ...

grenert

Post by grenert » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:03 pm

ranzee wrote:it definitely needs a filter of some sort, which is probably why waldorf sell that 4 pole product ...
Is there any way an external filter would be able to track the keyboard?

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Push-Pull wrote:Yes, and that's the same 7 voices FM audio engine as in the Electone of those years, the D85 for example.
These digital oscillators used in SK and D85 aren't FM. They are based on earlier E-series (50,70), and are weird single-cycle-wave-playing devices. The difference is, that in E50 this required three chips - phase increment table, that converted note numbers to oscillator rate, wave counter, that swept phase accumulator, and actual "Wave Memory" chip, that was Memory and DAC in one - it hasn't stored its samples as numbers, but instead the waveshape was "stored" using on-chip resistor ladder - instead of linear response like in your typical DAC, the resistor values for each step were chosen to make desired waveshape.

D85/SK series just crammed it all into single chip with serial control interface.

FM Electones were FS series.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:03 am

grenert wrote:
ranzee wrote:it definitely needs a filter of some sort, which is probably why waldorf sell that 4 pole product ...
Is there any way an external filter would be able to track the keyboard?
Not sure, might be worth checking into!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 am

With CV, yes - you'd have to split your midi channel to the Streichfett to a midi-cv interface (I'm talking about the new 2-Pole though, the 4-Pole is the old one that they did in the 90ies - that actually had midi; don't remember whether it had key number as modulation source, but I'd guess so...) :thumbleft:

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:47 pm

adamstan wrote:
Push-Pull wrote:Yes, and that's the same 7 voices FM audio engine as in the Electone of those years, the D85 for example.
These digital oscillators used in SK and D85 aren't FM. They are based on earlier E-series (50,70), and are weird single-cycle-wave-playing devices. The difference is, that in E50 this required three chips - phase increment table, that converted note numbers to oscillator rate, wave counter, that swept phase accumulator, and actual "Wave Memory" chip, that was Memory and DAC in one - it hasn't stored its samples as numbers, but instead the waveshape was "stored" using on-chip resistor ladder - instead of linear response like in your typical DAC, the resistor values for each step were chosen to make desired waveshape.

D85/SK series just crammed it all into single chip with serial control interface.

FM Electones were FS series.
Ok, sorry for my bad understanding of those weird chips. And thank's for your precisions !
Do you know why "7 voices" ?

(Maybe we could open a new thread for that ? )
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 am

I'm awaiting arrival of mine (should be here tomorrow) but I'll be using it mainly as a Top Octave Engine for the Kronos - feed it into the ext audio in and then process it via the AL-1 engine for Paraphonic fun time.

Judging by the demos, I'm not entirely convinced by the ensemble effect as it seems quite harsh - but again, this can be sorted out via the Kronos' "Multiband Delay" FX which is great for emulating that analogue ensemble sound.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Picked up a Streichfett used on CL a few weeks back.
I am really liking it, especially once I got a template set up in my Novation SL MKII so that I can change params on the fly without reaching over to the box.
The only complaint I have is that there is not a separate out for strings and solo voice.
I'd love to get mono strings on one track and whatever I am using the solo voice for (sometimes it's a bass, sometimes its a lead melody) onto another track.
But overall I just really dig the sound. This is also my first poly synth since I ditched my Poly 800 like 7 years ago!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave