7 visionary women who paved the way for electronic music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

7 visionary women who paved the way for electronic music

Post by yorgatron » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 am

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: 7 visionary women who paved the way for electronic music

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:28 am

Oo ta. Proper champion, that.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:57 pm

No Wendy Carlos or Bebe Barron. Hmm :?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:06 pm

Psy_Free wrote:No Wendy Carlos or Bebe Barron. Hmm :?
No Else Marie Pade either! [-X

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:17 pm

The article is about 7 women, not THE ONLY 7 women who paved the way for electronic music.
This is akin to AG complaining about there not being enough Bob Moog in some modular synth documentary trailer ages ago :lol:
Isn't it nice to read about other people than the same 2-3 ones over and over anyway?

"If there is no Wendy Carlos/Bob Moog/Buchla I'm NOT gonna read it"

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Bitexion wrote:The article is about 7 women, not THE ONLY 7 women who paved the way for electronic music.
This is akin to AG complaining about there not being enough Bob Moog in some modular synth documentary trailer ages ago :lol:
Isn't it nice to read about other people than the same 2-3 ones over and over anyway?

"If there is no Wendy Carlos/Bob Moog/Buchla I'm NOT gonna read it"
I wish they had included Wendy Carlos and Laurie Spiegel.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:45 pm

+1 for Spiegel and Barron, they should be there, but I certainly don't disagree with the choice of the lady in the No.1 position! :)
If one is going to be truly pedantic, Wendy wasn't actually Wendy when s/he was doing the "paving the way" bit. Although, having said that, from a chronological p.o.v, if Laurie Anderson can be there, then Wendy certainly deserves to be, given her contributions from Clockwork Orange onwards, nor can she be discounted as a "visionary".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 am

mpa1104 wrote:+1 for Spiegel and Barron, they should be there, but I certainly don't disagree with the choice of the lady in the No.1 position! :)
If one is going to be truly pedantic, Wendy wasn't actually Wendy when s/he was doing the "paving the way" bit. Although, having said that, from a chronological p.o.v, if Laurie Anderson can be there, then Wendy certainly deserves to be, given her contributions from Clockwork Orange onwards, nor can she be discounted as a "visionary".
I don't know if there's any point in arguing about people's belief systems, so I'm not going to. But Wendy was Wendy even when she was working on Switched-On Bach. It was only Columbia's insistence that she continue to be "Walter" and the general cultural confusion about gender change that had the name "Walter" being used. As far as I'm concerned, she can be any gender she wants.

As for paving the way: Wendy met Bob Moog at the 1964 AES convention where he first demonstrated his modules. They became friends and Wendy was an early customer. But more important than her being a customer, she was a crucial advisor to Bob in regard to the way his synthesizer was designed. His desktop notebooks are full of her advice, and his implementations of her advice. She is responsible for a lot of aspects of the Moog modular, and she was an important composer advisor to Bob. As such, there are functions in the synthesizers we use today that were inspired by Wendy. Portamento, for example.
In addition to that, Switched-On Bach introduced the synthesizer to the general public... to the world. She totally paved the way in regard to use of the Moog modular. Her patches are virtuosic, and shaped the perception of what a synth patch should sound like. To this day, you rarely hear synth patches as beautiful, unique, and expressive as those she created in 1968.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 am

Yeah, see, we already know all the history behind Wendy and Moog, which is why it's refreshing to see other women mentioned in an article so we can actually learn instead of just do fact-checking compared to what we already know.

Kind of like studying Psychology at uni but only ever read about Freud and nothing else.