Octatrack controlling issues

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Octatrack controlling issues

Post by musden » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Hello Octatrack enthusiasts! Could you be so kind today to make a couple of things clearer for me?.. I would like to know the following:
1) is it OK to use Octatrack as usual polyphonic synthesizer (sample-based synth), playing chords, playing multitimbrally?
2) can you plug a midi-controller with pads into it, assign different sounds on these pads, and then play this instrument this way? Actually I havenot got any necessity to record my performance directly into Octatrack (I need just to play by using pads), but that possibility would quite a nice feature. Is it stable, being used this way? Is it hard job to make all these assignments?

And, finally, wich midi-device would you recommend?

Thank you very much, chaps!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Octatrack controlling issues

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

1. No, although you could possibly do it in a restricted way using each track mapped to a different key range with the same samples assigned, although that might not be possible at all, I haven't tried it. It's designed to be 8 monophonic sample voices.

2 might be possible in the same way, but really the OT isn't designed for this, might be best to use something else.

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Re: Octatrack controlling issues

Post by musden » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:54 pm

oh thank you! This info has cooled me down a bit...