Akai Analog Drum Machine

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Akai Analog Drum Machine

Post by griffin avid » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:23 am

OTOH, what are these other 'great' cheap analog drum machines? I was kind of bored by the volca, and it is pretty limited in terms of ins and outs. Is there some other?

I assume you are talking to me, but it was the reviewer who commented about alternatives and mentioned the Volca.
I never used the word GREAT and I am not here to find you a GREAT ANALOG DRUM MACHINE for CHEAP.
You've been around and you know what's available.
Don't be silly.

The buzz around this product is that it fell short of expectations.

Your 'turning knobs' fascination is also getting tired. I could see if this was a product with numerous menus and settings on bays of panels that interacted- as in, a more complicated thing to work with. But no, applying the filter seems pretty simple and straight forward.

You turn a knob.

Perhaps he missed some nuanced wrist tilt that only a master Theremin player would be able to pull off and that would have changed things.

His limited and untrained approach seemed to work fine on the kick and failed on everything else.
Maybe those that lean towards KICKS as their main percussive bend will find this drum machine wholly useable.
And not find much to complain about. I could see that.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

chipaudette

Post by chipaudette » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Has anyone who's reacted so strongly to this review (on either side) actually played one of these things? Those are the voices that I'm interested in hearing...folks who can confirm or reject published reviews based on first hand experience.

Chip

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Quality of sounds is one thing (you may like them or not), but technical issues like problems with scaling are rather shameful for Akai. And this is IMO true problem with Rhytm Wolf - looks like rush job with design flaws.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:22 pm

salwa wrote:Quality of sounds is one thing (you may like them or not), but technical issues like problems with scaling are rather shameful for Akai. And this is IMO true problem with Rhytm Wolf - looks like rush job with design flaws.
I would extend that to bass synth itself--rush job. I think it could have been better. It just sounds disappointingly weak. To be fair, I only spent about 30 min. with one at a GC, but it's so simple that I don't know what else there is to discover with it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:26 pm

salwa wrote:Quality of sounds is one thing (you may like them or not), but technical issues like problems with scaling are rather shameful for Akai. And this is IMO true problem with Rhytm Wolf - looks like rush job with design flaws.
now that I will agree with. Akai's excuses about temperature changes being to blame sound like they were lifted from a Realistic (Radio Shack) MG1 manual circa 1980.

There are numerous other analog synths that do not have that problem.
I guess this synth/drum machine will be an instant hit with the noise community. White noise snares, atonal melodies. It's all ready for your Whitehouse/Nurse With Wound tribute band.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:36 pm

griffin avid wrote:OTOH, what are these other 'great' cheap analog drum machines? I was kind of bored by the volca, and it is pretty limited in terms of ins and outs. Is there some other?
Your 'turning knobs' fascination is also getting tired. I could see if this was a product with numerous menus and settings on bays of panels that interacted- as in, a more complicated thing to work with. But no, applying the filter seems pretty simple and straight forward.

You turn a knob.

Perhaps he missed some nuanced wrist tilt that only a master Theremin player would be able to pull off and that would have changed things.

His limited and untrained approach seemed to work fine on the kick and failed on everything else.
Maybe those that lean towards KICKS as their main percussive bend will find this drum machine wholly useable.
And not find much to complain about. I could see that.
It's a synth, if it doesn't sound good...turn a frickin knob.
I saw dude turn one knob on one sound, the snare. It's the same on many other negative reviews I have seen for other gear. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I hate when people do an unboxing/demo/review and spend 50% of the time flapping their jaws then when it gets to the synth they are all playing it, like we care about their chops. Sonicstate is one example of how to do a review. Flip through the features, shows what is unique, and what fails.
If the device in test is intended to extend or interface with other gear in a novel way, do that too. OTherwise keep your other lovely gear under a dust cover.
Rinse...repeat.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 pm

So I went through this thread, and honestly can't tell how people who actually have the RW feel about it. Its been out for a few months, and I think several of you guys have one. I'm curious if the tuning issues have been fixed, or if that is a total game changer.

I didn't get to play one in GC a few days ago, but the kid that was jamming on it made me come over and watch. I thought it had a good sound, raw basic but fun in it's own way. Seemed intuitive.

So please anyone who actually has one (still) please give some feedback. I like the sounds, but if it's a hardware defect then that's another thing.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 pm

As an owner:

How does it sound?
It sounds great. The parameter ranges are extremely limited, but since we're talking analog drum sounds and not physical modeling, they do what they are supposed to. The kick thumps, the snare has a nice punchy and wet quality to it, the percussion sounds is extremely useful (the white noise blasts really respond well to accent), and the high hat... is a metallic high-hat sound. None of these sounds on their own would be exceptional, but they meld well together. This, plus a really nice sequencer and easy to use interface that MFB could take a page from and you've already got a nice, versatile drum machine for a mere $200.

Also, one thing that a lot of people don't get is that the drums all respond differently to accent. The snare gets a wildly long decay when you use full accent. Keep it to low or medium and it sound much better.

Then there is the bass synth. The tuning issues are a total pain, but the synth itself doesn't drift or anything like that. It's however they've got the internal scaling setup. It's fully in tune when you have the pitch knob just above 9 o'clock. I haven't tried the tuning app yet, but I presume it just move that 9'clock sweet spot to 12.

As far as sound, the bass synth definitely is kind of weird and wonky, but certainly not unusable. TONS of bass (too much actually, and it drowns out the kick--thankfully there's the separate output). The volume loss with high resonance is also really annoying; I've found the trick of increasing the synth volume as I also increase resonance. Not ideal, but it works (again, a compressor or something on the output would go a long way).

Does it work as a bass synth? Yes. Is it easy to program? Yes. The ONLY downside to the programming is that there's no slide. But there is legato, which is cool.

So to sum up: $200 gets you an awesome analog drum machine that also happens to have a clunky but still useful bass synth. If you look at it that way, it's a no-brainer. No, it won't replace an 808, but would easily go well with that or a 606 thanks to the different drum sounds. God forbid someone makes something that doesn't sound like another 606/808/909 clone!
Do you even post on vse bro?

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:02 am

Thx Ruff, wish I could give "thumbs up" or "like" your response. I'll grab one this week and give it a go. I have aTR-8 and it seems this will be a nice compliment.
As always your opinions/viewpoints are both concise and appreciated. Cheers!

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:41 am

Sir Ruff wrote:God forbid someone makes something that doesn't sound like another 606/808/909 clone!
That is all I been trying to say.
I am a bit eclectic in my tastes, and as much as I like old school hip hop and early electro-industrial, I am completely burnt out on 808/909 c**p.
Okay really I am waiting for them to get unhip again so I can get a 909.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:27 pm

wiss wrote:
Could be a fun little box.
Apparently not lol

That's the worst sounding drum machine I ever heard.

You get what you pay for :lol: :lol:

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:35 pm

rob_lee wrote:
wiss wrote:
Apparently not lol

lol indeed. dudes benchmark is rebirth?

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:21 pm

rob_lee wrote:
wiss wrote:
Apparently not lol

I love audio demos, where sound of finger tapping on pad is louder than sound, that it triggers. Also guy is annoying as h**l and looks like non-100% sober.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:22 pm

I can listen to what I've heard of Faxi Nadu's music, but the dude is way too hyper and annoying in this video...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 pm

bhrama wrote:Thx Ruff, wish I could give "thumbs up" or "like" your response. I'll grab one this week and give it a go. I have aTR-8 and it seems this will be a nice compliment.
As always your opinions/viewpoints are both concise and appreciated. Cheers!
Glad I could help! :thumbsup:

It was driving me a bit nuts reading all the comments by people who either hadn't used one or played it for 10 mins in Guitar Center.
Do you even post on vse bro?