will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
princefan3

will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Post by princefan3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:47 pm

was just curious as to what you think the mini brute will bring to the table.

im thinking it looks like a replacement for the pro one or even the sh 101.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Its oscillator section and filter is so unique I don't think it replaces anything, really. The oscillator can mix 5 separate waveforms at once.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:19 pm

What the Brutes bring to the table: widely available and way less expensive, MIDI and doesn't need servicing as soon as you buy it.

I firmly believe 98% of the people who think they need an SH-101 or ProOne are deluded by hype, many other monos will do the job just as well.

Remember the best synth for your music is the one you actually own =D>
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:29 pm

^ what he said.

I track a lot of stuff on craigslist, vintage monosynths that would have been snapped up right away a few years back, are now relisted time and again by people who think they should still sell at top-of-the-market prices.

honestly, why would anyone pay $1400 for an SH-101 (w/handgrip of course) when you can get 2 or 3 new and/or slightly used synths for that much?

:dontknow:

just to make perfectly clear; I collect vintage synths and keyboards, because I like how they look, and how they feel, and they give me happy memories of a time 35 years ago when I should have applied myself and learned how to play keyboards, instead of giving up and playing guitar instead. if I were starting out now I think I would be more inclined to buy new stuff, with a warranty.
Last edited by yorgatron on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 pm

I would say no. No detuning of separate oscillators on the MB which I think is probably one of those other synths defining characteristics. The MB can sound beefy, but not fat or is it the other way around?
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I firmly believe 98% of the people who think they need an SH-101 or ProOne are deluded by hype, many other monos will do the job just as well.
This
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one. The minibrute is still a good synth in its own right with its own sound and is well worth having considering its price. However, its not a replacement for a pro one.

I think the attraction of the SH 101 is the ease of dialing in certain bass sounds. If you want those sounds, a SH 101 makes sense and might be the only thing that will do. If you just want a little monosynth, maybe the minibrute is a good alternative.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm

also the mini brute does not have a sequencer...a lot of (you tube clips) show electribes driving them along.

the sh 101 does not do it for me, nor the mc 202....so i was considering the mini/with electribe, just to get
the lower end that the juno 60 cant do.

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 pm

isn't there a super-cheap sequencer coming out soon? like $100 cheap?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Remember that the minibrute has a 12db lowpass filter. You're not going to get Moog basses (or any other 24db lowpass filer) sounds from it. Of course, it does what it does (which as I recall was best when aggressive). If you like the bass sounds it makes, get one. If you want to just try it out, get one - the resale market is pretty stable.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:36 pm

No, nothing will actually replace those quality instruments of yesteryear that have stood the test of time. They have a character all of their own. That's not me being down on modern analogue, I think they're great and probably do offer most budding synthesists all that they need but my heart lies with the old stuff.

Prices will vary, but what's new?

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 pm

princefan3 wrote:also the mini brute does not have a sequencer...a lot of (you tube clips) show electribes driving them along.

the sh 101 does not do it for me, nor the mc 202....so i was considering the mini/with electribe, just to get
the lower end that the juno 60 cant do.
Not trying to take the thread too far from where it started. But I've experimented with the Electribe + Brute combo and it's very slick. I have the ESX and you can assign both of it's monophonic keyboard parts to the same midi channel. Then, create a different sequence on each part for the Brute to play. You can then play either one of them or both parts at once and the brute will take on all the notes from both. Mess around with the portamento and release, etc and you can get some crazy stuff going on. And then add a Monotribe to this (driven by the Brute via CV) and you can get a great deal of complexity.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Being a former SH-101 owner, I can honestly say the real killer of the 101 might be the Bass Station II.

As for the pro one, I dunno.
soundcloud.com/vectron

pmh

Post by pmh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Some very interesting points.

If you were buying a keyboard purely for it's sound and functionality, then there are many worthy contenders.

However, like many other items: cars, motorbikes, etc, it's mainly the nostalgia, uniqueness, first of a kind, collectability etc, that is the reason for ownership.

The only true Pro Ones are the original ones.

Kind regards,

Phil

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm

honestly I think a lot of folks are into the SH101, TB303 and other Roland gear for the same reason folks buy Fenders and Gibsons. Brand recognition and the whole "my favorite artist uses/used that!".
If I was a young kid today I don't think that stuff would even be on my radar for the same reason that my first bass guitar was NOT a Fender.
Because I'm a contrarian POS and I can't stand conformity (still as true at 45 as it was at 15).
An older musician once pointed out to me that most of that 'vintage' stuff was new when our heroes performed with it.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave