will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Sure, lots of people go for famous big-name items simply because they're big-name famous items. That doesn't mean they don't have unique qualities to recommend them, though.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 am

I own both the MB and the SH-101, and I don't think they're interchangeable at all. The Brute has a sound all its own. And as somebody else pointed out, there's a huge sonic difference between the 12db filter of the MB and 24db filter of the SH-101. I like the MB – it's probably one of the better full-featured VCO synths on the market, and the price is right. But it's not as sexy as the 101, just because it's not classic (yet).

But only you can decide whether it really replaces anything in your current arsenal, or whether you should bypass the vintage stuff in favor of the MB. As someome else mentioned, there are many other things to consider, like the pleasure of owning a vintage instrument, the headaches that go with them, your musical style, and a host of other factors that come into play when choosing what to buy.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 am

it is kind of the funny thing about synths in general. In a few short years it has gone from being all about the latest greatest, to becoming EXACTLY like the gutiar collector nerds.
Some of us are easily synth collector nerds. I do gig out with any and all of my gear, but I won't lie. I would love to eventually own one each of all Moog synth models. And if I ever get a decent raise, add Oberheim to that dubious goal.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 am

It's this thread again... :facepalm:

Why is it always the acid synths? I mean, we have a search function here for a reason. Why not compare the new analog mono synths to the ms-10, or the arp axxe for a change?

Aaron2 wrote:I own both the MB and the SH-101, and I don't think they're interchangeable at all. The Brute has a sound all its own. And as somebody else pointed out, there's a huge sonic difference between the 12db filter of the MB and 24db filter of the SH-101. I like the MB – it's probably one of the better full-featured VCO synths on the market, and the price is right. But it's not as sexy as the 101, just because it's not classic (yet).

But only you can decide whether it really replaces anything in your current arsenal, or whether you should bypass the vintage stuff in favor of the MB. As someome else mentioned, there are many other things to consider, like the pleasure of owning a vintage instrument, the headaches that go with them, your musical style, and a host of other factors that come into play when choosing what to buy.
:agree:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:06 am

micahjonhughes wrote:Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one.
You should have spent longer with the Minibrute, its sonic palette is MUCH bigger than a Pro One. It does hard and aggressive as well as soft and gentle, you can get a huge range of timbres from the oscillators alone and you've got a multimode filter rather than just a LPF.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 am

ninja6485 wrote:Why not compare the new analog mono synths to the ms-10, or the arp axxe for a change?
Because most people have never heard an Axxe? Never mind a Solus... :help:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 am

I own a 101 and a microbrute, so I have to attest to the opinions above that the distinct filter character alone makes both worth having, if you like that sort of character in each. I got my 101 because it was the only analogue synth in Mountain Home Idaho in 1999, so I like to think I'm not a conformist. Plus I modded my 101 to such an extent that it's kinda f**k up in a good way.
But the brutes have got this special sound: Bright and warm when not saturated, loud and angry with(but not so harsh like a Future Retro XS). The 101 resonance is alot more squelchy, like Acid house, and the Curtis oscillator gives it a brittle top end. The Brute resonance has more of a howl to it, like a MS20, and its oscillator is one of a kind.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:26 am

OH my GOD... really? People judge a synthesizer on its effectiveness based on it's filter slope?

If you judge a synth on 24dB per oct, what the h**l are you doing NOT BUYING a MOOG? If that's the slope you want, and if if bass is what you want, the last thing on EARTH you should do is buy a Roland. Buy a goddamned Moog and get it over with.

Face it, the SH-101 is a synth based entirely on association. It's fun, and it's easy, but it's fame has nothing to do with power or sound... it has to do with application and association.

The MiniBrute is insanely powerful, and blows away the SH-101 in regard to functionality. Its 12 dB per oct filter keeps it from sounding like a Moog, but OH MY f**k GOD, it allows it an incredible diversity due to its ability to do a variety of filter sounds! The SH only does LOW PASS... that is ONE QUALITY OF SOUND. I am baffled as to how someone can choose the SH over the MiniBrute when the MiniBrute is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL in regard to oscillator AND filter variability. It's ridiculous.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:45 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am baffled as to how someone can choose the SH over the MiniBrute when the MiniBrute is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL in regard to oscillator AND filter variability. It's ridiculous.
Exactly. Don't choose. Get both. :lol:

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
micahjonhughes wrote:Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one.
You should have spent longer with the Minibrute, its sonic palette is MUCH bigger than a Pro One. It does hard and aggressive as well as soft and gentle, you can get a huge range of timbres from the oscillators alone and you've got a multimode filter rather than just a LPF.
The Pro One has a second oscillator and all the extra sonic possibilities that comes with that from the rich beating between 2 oscs to complex harmonic relationships, also osc Sync and FM. It also has the dual wheel and direct mod busses that opens up even more sonic territory...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 am

synthparts wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
The Pro One has a second oscillator and all the extra sonic possibilities that comes with that including sync and FM... It also has the dual wheel and direct mod busses that opens up even more sonic territory...
good point!
I'd take two oscs over multimode filter ANY day.
3rds and 5ths more fun than unison.
But for what a functional Pro One pulls on evilBay (or went for when new!) you can buy a flock of Minibrutes.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 am

Post from VSE in 2034:

" Can the GX-2213 replace the minibrute"
Last edited by Ashe37 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 am

Yes it will replace it sonically, culturally, and even physically. Pro One and SH 101 now equal Minibrute.

WAR IS PEACE.
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:51 pm

- arturia forgot to include a sequencer tie function, even on the metal SE version. So despite the apparent flexibility of the 'deluxe' seq section, it' still nothing but 16ths or no 16ths all the way "dur-dur-dur-space-dur-space-space-dur-dur-dur etc"
swing; great! gate length, fine... but effectively ho hum. why not definable note length too?
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm

I've owned all three, and I would disagree with lumping in the Pro-One with the 101 - apples and oranges. I think the Pro-One's cross-mod blows away some of the Brute's waveshapping/feedbacking. The SH looks terrific, and has a lovely bouncy/liquid sound, but it can't compare with the Pro-One's larger layout, mod possibilites. As for whether the Brute will be a classic, only a fool can pretend to guess that.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music