Page 2 of 4

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 pm
by commodorejohn
Sure, lots of people go for famous big-name items simply because they're big-name famous items. That doesn't mean they don't have unique qualities to recommend them, though.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 am
by Aaron2
I own both the MB and the SH-101, and I don't think they're interchangeable at all. The Brute has a sound all its own. And as somebody else pointed out, there's a huge sonic difference between the 12db filter of the MB and 24db filter of the SH-101. I like the MB – it's probably one of the better full-featured VCO synths on the market, and the price is right. But it's not as sexy as the 101, just because it's not classic (yet).

But only you can decide whether it really replaces anything in your current arsenal, or whether you should bypass the vintage stuff in favor of the MB. As someome else mentioned, there are many other things to consider, like the pleasure of owning a vintage instrument, the headaches that go with them, your musical style, and a host of other factors that come into play when choosing what to buy.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 am
by calaverasgrande
it is kind of the funny thing about synths in general. In a few short years it has gone from being all about the latest greatest, to becoming EXACTLY like the gutiar collector nerds.
Some of us are easily synth collector nerds. I do gig out with any and all of my gear, but I won't lie. I would love to eventually own one each of all Moog synth models. And if I ever get a decent raise, add Oberheim to that dubious goal.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 am
by ninja6485
It's this thread again... :facepalm:

Why is it always the acid synths? I mean, we have a search function here for a reason. Why not compare the new analog mono synths to the ms-10, or the arp axxe for a change?

Aaron2 wrote:I own both the MB and the SH-101, and I don't think they're interchangeable at all. The Brute has a sound all its own. And as somebody else pointed out, there's a huge sonic difference between the 12db filter of the MB and 24db filter of the SH-101. I like the MB – it's probably one of the better full-featured VCO synths on the market, and the price is right. But it's not as sexy as the 101, just because it's not classic (yet).

But only you can decide whether it really replaces anything in your current arsenal, or whether you should bypass the vintage stuff in favor of the MB. As someome else mentioned, there are many other things to consider, like the pleasure of owning a vintage instrument, the headaches that go with them, your musical style, and a host of other factors that come into play when choosing what to buy.
:agree:

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:06 am
by Stab Frenzy
micahjonhughes wrote:Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one.
You should have spent longer with the Minibrute, its sonic palette is MUCH bigger than a Pro One. It does hard and aggressive as well as soft and gentle, you can get a huge range of timbres from the oscillators alone and you've got a multimode filter rather than just a LPF.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:07 am
by meatballfulton
ninja6485 wrote:Why not compare the new analog mono synths to the ms-10, or the arp axxe for a change?
Because most people have never heard an Axxe? Never mind a Solus... :help:

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 am
by Solderman
I own a 101 and a microbrute, so I have to attest to the opinions above that the distinct filter character alone makes both worth having, if you like that sort of character in each. I got my 101 because it was the only analogue synth in Mountain Home Idaho in 1999, so I like to think I'm not a conformist. Plus I modded my 101 to such an extent that it's kinda f**k up in a good way.
But the brutes have got this special sound: Bright and warm when not saturated, loud and angry with(but not so harsh like a Future Retro XS). The 101 resonance is alot more squelchy, like Acid house, and the Curtis oscillator gives it a brittle top end. The Brute resonance has more of a howl to it, like a MS20, and its oscillator is one of a kind.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:26 am
by Automatic Gainsay
OH my GOD... really? People judge a synthesizer on its effectiveness based on it's filter slope?

If you judge a synth on 24dB per oct, what the h**l are you doing NOT BUYING a MOOG? If that's the slope you want, and if if bass is what you want, the last thing on EARTH you should do is buy a Roland. Buy a goddamned Moog and get it over with.

Face it, the SH-101 is a synth based entirely on association. It's fun, and it's easy, but it's fame has nothing to do with power or sound... it has to do with application and association.

The MiniBrute is insanely powerful, and blows away the SH-101 in regard to functionality. Its 12 dB per oct filter keeps it from sounding like a Moog, but OH MY f**k GOD, it allows it an incredible diversity due to its ability to do a variety of filter sounds! The SH only does LOW PASS... that is ONE QUALITY OF SOUND. I am baffled as to how someone can choose the SH over the MiniBrute when the MiniBrute is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL in regard to oscillator AND filter variability. It's ridiculous.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:45 am
by Aaron2
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am baffled as to how someone can choose the SH over the MiniBrute when the MiniBrute is SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL in regard to oscillator AND filter variability. It's ridiculous.
Exactly. Don't choose. Get both. :lol:

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:43 am
by synthparts
Stab Frenzy wrote:
micahjonhughes wrote:Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one.
You should have spent longer with the Minibrute, its sonic palette is MUCH bigger than a Pro One. It does hard and aggressive as well as soft and gentle, you can get a huge range of timbres from the oscillators alone and you've got a multimode filter rather than just a LPF.
The Pro One has a second oscillator and all the extra sonic possibilities that comes with that from the rich beating between 2 oscs to complex harmonic relationships, also osc Sync and FM. It also has the dual wheel and direct mod busses that opens up even more sonic territory...

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 am
by calaverasgrande
synthparts wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
micahjonhughes wrote:Having had both, the minibrute does not have the same diversity of sonic pallete as the pro one.
You should have spent longer with the Minibrute, its sonic palette is MUCH bigger than a Pro One. It does hard and aggressive as well as soft and gentle, you can get a huge range of timbres from the oscillators alone and you've got a multimode filter rather than just a LPF.
The Pro One has a second oscillator and all the extra sonic possibilities that comes with that including sync and FM... It also has the dual wheel and direct mod busses that opens up even more sonic territory...
good point!
I'd take two oscs over multimode filter ANY day.
3rds and 5ths more fun than unison.
But for what a functional Pro One pulls on evilBay (or went for when new!) you can buy a flock of Minibrutes.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 am
by Ashe37
Post from VSE in 2034:

" Can the GX-2213 replace the minibrute"

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:24 am
by GuyaGuy
Yes it will replace it sonically, culturally, and even physically. Pro One and SH 101 now equal Minibrute.

WAR IS PEACE.
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:51 pm
by shaft9000
- arturia forgot to include a sequencer tie function, even on the metal SE version. So despite the apparent flexibility of the 'deluxe' seq section, it' still nothing but 16ths or no 16ths all the way "dur-dur-dur-space-dur-space-space-dur-dur-dur etc"
swing; great! gate length, fine... but effectively ho hum. why not definable note length too?

Re: will the mini brute replace the pro one/sh 101

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm
by Ned Bouhalassa
I've owned all three, and I would disagree with lumping in the Pro-One with the 101 - apples and oranges. I think the Pro-One's cross-mod blows away some of the Brute's waveshapping/feedbacking. The SH looks terrific, and has a lovely bouncy/liquid sound, but it can't compare with the Pro-One's larger layout, mod possibilites. As for whether the Brute will be a classic, only a fool can pretend to guess that.