Has anyone ever actually used this patch...?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sweep

Re: Has anyone ever actually used this patch...?

Post by Sweep » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks for that page link. I hadn't seen that before.

The Emulator II Shakuhachi is another interesting one. It's such a beautiful sound, and so rarely used to the full. I actually made a complete piece using just that sample - Sudden Storm on Mount Fuji, number 69 in the music player on my site at http://www.musicbysweep.com/ I chopped it in half and then sliced it a bit further to make different tones, and played with multiple repeats, which worked very well, I think.

(I've also used a real shakuhachi sometimes, both played live and sampled and replayed from a keyboard, but I really wanted to do something with that famous sample. It was underused, even though so many people had held a key down while it played.)
Free the Jupiter 8!

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Nice piece - and you did a great job with that EII sample!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

stickman393

Post by stickman393 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:14 pm

dnash wrote:my FAVOURITE use of this sound was by keith emerson on the 3 "to the power of three" album in the song "desde la vida" heard on the link below:

loud and proud at the 2 minute mark :-)
I totally came here to post this one. Thanks!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Sweep wrote: [...] Digital Native Dance - it's a famous patch, but did anyone ever find a musical use for it? [...]
A plethora of Electronic Music Performers of the late 1980s and early 1990s seemed to rely heavily on D-50 factory patches, especially DND and that godawful "Fantasia" (?) flute patch. This, along with Wavestation, M1, and DX-7 factory patches, made Electronic Music of that era unlistenable to me.

And it wasn't always the amateurs who would use these patches exclusively...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

qwerty000143

Post by qwerty000143 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 pm

"Digital Native Dance" is a very famous patch in Soviet Pop music. For example, this is "???????? ???" - famous pop band in USSR.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio CT-X3000/WK-7600/SK-1
Yamaha MX49
Korg Minilogue
Alesis SR-16

Post by Music Bird » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:06 pm

2 tracks in a row in Al B. Sure's album Nite N Day is on use DND. Both in a row. The same note.
The Indonesian artist Cindy Cenora used a LOT of D-50. Particularly Staccato Heaven.
This song of hers uses DND AND Staccato Heaven. I think it was made on among over things, a D-50. DND is in the song several times

Several cartoons from the late 80's early 90's used the D-50, I can't think of any in particular, but maybe something used those sounds.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.