JX-3P to Kiwi-3P

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

JX-3P to Kiwi-3P

Post by pinksoir » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:35 pm

So I've had my 3P for a couple of weeks now. I was a little underwhelmed at first, but since using more, and especially using it in recordings, I've come to really love it. It just works everywhere, and it's super versatile. I feel like it's going to be my workhorse and it really compliments my CS50.

I got the PG-200 with it, but I also got the Organix mod and I've found since I discovered CTRLR that I've barely touched the PG. I find it much easier to work integrating the 3P into my DAW and while I do enjoy knob tweaking, I have to say that the PG-200 isn't the nicest controller I've used and it kind of puts me off using it.

So I'm thinking about selling my PG-200 to fund a Kiwi-3P mod (there's a CTRLR panel for that too). I have a couple of questions about it though, specifically the LFOs; are either of the LFOs syncable to MIDI clock? And are either retriggerable by key?

Cheers.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Re: JX-3P to Kiwi-3P

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:13 pm

There's a Yahoo! group called "kiwitechnics," and that's probably where you'll get the best and most detailed answers to your questions. Murray, the guy who runs Kiwitechnics, is on the board regularly and answers users' questions all the time. So if you don't find the answer here, that's the place to go. Good luck!

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks. After further reading it looks like the LFOs aren't syncable. I see that LFO2 is syncable to the internal sequencer, but only on the random waveform setting. That must have been why I thought they may be syncable via MIDI. No dice though.

Ah well.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 pm

LFO2 has a second "random" mode that can be synced to MIDI clock, but that's it.

http://kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

I have this upgrade and I think it is well worth it.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez