MFB Dominion 1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

MFB Dominion 1

Post by Walter Ego » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:41 am

This thing looks amazing. Does the world need another VCO mono? Why yes, yes it does. This one. Talk about a replacement for the Pro One...

I have heard that MFB stuff is a little on the cheap side construction-wise, but this looks like something to contend with. Bump up in build quality one hopes?

Also this:

Found here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/03/ ... roduction/
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: MFB Dominion 1

Post by Alex E » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:44 am

I really like this one.

It even looks like a Synton Syrinx. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 am

Agreed; this looks like a winner. Any word on pricing yet?

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:20 am

He said around $1500. This incorporates features from classic mono synths like minimoog, pro1, monopoly and sh101, all rolled into one package. Sounds pretty badass.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Sounded like a souped-up megamix of Minibrute, Monotron and a synth I could not put a finger on..

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Ah, I liked the sound of this when it was first shown. Forgot all a bout it.
It's got a lovely hollow quality to the sound.

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:34 pm

he said price was 1390EU, which is closer to $2000 USD

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

BaconTastesGood wrote:he said price was 1390EU, which is closer to $2000 USD
Not if you don't have to pay VAT! He said "One five" for the US price. Although MFB prices in the US always end up higher than the Euro prices for some reason. So I'll probably order direct.

However their site still says "Available February." They've pushed back go-live 3 times now. So I'm not getting my hopes up just yet...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
BaconTastesGood wrote:he said price was 1390EU, which is closer to $2000 USD
Not if you don't have to pay VAT! He said "One five" for the US price. Although MFB prices in the US always end up higher than the Euro prices for some reason. So I'll probably order direct.
Good idea. Most retailers in the U.S. seem to buy them at retail price directly from MFB and then mark it up by 20%! I think they're taking advantage of people who don't know you can buy directly from MFB (and some European online dealers) for much less than what U.S. retailers are charging.

As somebody else pointed out, MFB's build quality is notoriously cheap. But this one looks a lot more solid than some of its other products. Fingers crossed.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am

Not a great video...but it's longer! In this one he says another 2 months before it's available.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 am

At the end of that last video he started playing chords, so it has poly mode. Hmm...where have we seen that before? ;) This synth seems to have a similar spirit and sound as the MonoPoly. Now that I think about it, even the name has a similar connotation. :idea:
I wonder if it'll also be able to cycle through it's 3 oscillators while playing an arp or sequence...although I think he would have demonstrated that by now. Still very interesting, I love the ability to change filter types and the onboard ring mods. Might have to spring for one of these instead of the Kodyssey, although the Dominion will probably cost twice as much. Still, I'm thoroughly impressed with this machine.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Yep, it kind of reminded me of the MonoPoly too--with more CV action AND memory. w00t!
I really hope this ends up being a winner...and has more aesthetically pleasing knobs...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 am

I've just gotta say this looks like a really cool synth. It's got pretty much everything you'd want in a mono, sounds pretty cool and is semi-modular. It's not something that I need but I'm happy it exists in the world.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 am

it's ridiculous being picky when this is essentially everything I or anyone could want in a mono synth of this size, but still, I'd prefer a real pitch and modwheel

that being said, I'll almost definitely be getting one.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Thomann and Schneider are offering these for pre-sale now.

I just ordered mine.

:dancer:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I've just gotta say this looks like a really cool synth. It's got pretty much everything you'd want in a mono, sounds pretty cool and is semi-modular. It's not something that I need but I'm happy it exists in the world.
=D>

I think I've discovered I enjoy CVing stuff more than I do being full-on modular, if that makes sense. So I can see this plus Expert Sleepers providing me a lot of mileage. Or kilometerage as the case may be. YMMV.

It doesn't have the audio ins/outs but even without those it can be a mighty nice modular controller with all its LFOs, envelopes, etc. Plus you can feed the oscillators into your Eurorack and use the Euro stuff to CV the oscillators. Good times shall be had...