MFB Dominion 1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: MFB Dominion 1

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 am

This will stomp all over the sub37's modulation abilities. If in your shoes I'd get the mfb and then a minitaur for moog bass, since new moog doesn't really nail the classic mini leads so well, imho.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:35 pm

SonicState video is up, this is a real step up for MFB

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm

I was really impressed with the Sub37 when I first checked one out. But a few weeks ago I spent about an hour and change at GC with one. I went really deep trying to get a patch set up. One that I can do on a modular or soft synth relatively easily, and that it took me all of 10 minutes to figure out the first time i saw an A4 in person.
An hour later I was most of the way there, but it sounded really lame.
The Sub37 seems to sound really boring if you don't drive the filter hard. Just plain osc modulation on those is just not terribly exciting sounding to me.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about the Dominion, but I'm afraid this years money for self contained synths is already spent.
Korg Oddysey (white) and later this year an A4 or Rytm (havent made up my mind).

Oh yeah, and a bunch of DIY modular along the way.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:48 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:The Sub37 seems to sound really boring if you don't drive the filter hard. Just plain osc modulation on those is just not terribly exciting sounding to me.
As much I love the Moog filter sound, I was disappointed owning the Slim Phatty and Voyager (yeah, I said it). OK, both of them let you dial in all kinds of classic wet dream snarling b***h in heat Mini leads and basses but where they both fell down for me was modulation...and the Voyager was a big improvement there compared to the Model D. Maybe that happens when you work with modulars and VAs before you get your first Moog. Shoulda held on to that dotcom :banghead: I also think Moog's idea of mod busses always under mod wheel control is a bit limiting. :---)

Dominion on the other hand gives you three LFOs and three EGs...besting pretty much every analog that doesn't say "Dave Smith" on it...with lots of routing options along with a multimode and multipole filter. Geez. Having owned both the Synth Lite and Kratfzwerg (fun but very much in the "good for the money" category) I never expected Manfred could ever make a synth like this. =D>

Now if he had only come out with this thing ten years ago instead of when I'm downsizing all my gear to prepare for my long slide into insolvency, dementia and COPD. :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm

It seems like this will be quite difficult to get a hold of. The sound is stunning. The filter is great, and the envelopes are quick. I have no reason to keep these vintage synths around anymore!

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Whats the latest with the Dominion 1? Anyone else snag one yet? Guyaguy, how are you getting along with it these days?

Analog Haven still says TBD, and Thomann's the same...

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Funny how I was the last one to post. I got tired of waiting around and got a Sub37 instead. Quite happy with it.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:30 pm

I've been checking out the Sub37 as well. If I go by demos though, the Dominion 1 sounds a lot more interesting. I've spent a decent amount of time with the modern Moog sound, so I'm not as jazzed to pick up the Sub37. Even with all of the improvements in modulation handling/sequencing.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 am

I'm lucky enough to have both and I find both awesome. There's some overlap, but sonically they're quite different. The Dom 1 is more of a Roland sound and in many ways more versatile sonically because of the different filter modes and FM capabilities. There's no way it will give you a Moog sound any time you want it though. The Sub37 is awesome for that as well as the cooler sequencer. Both are solid so really it comes down to what sound and features you're looking for. They've become my 2 main machines so apparently I need the sound and features of both!

machinea
Gear: K2661, JD990, NL2X, Juno 60, Mini D, V'ger, SH101, Odyssey, MS20, Dominion1, MEK, Prophet 6, D550, MKS50, JV1080, TG33

Post by machinea » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:53 am

I just received mine late this week. I've had really only a few hours with it. So far these are my impressions:

The build and the look are great to me, the only thing is the sliders could be stiffer, otherwise it's one of the more solidly built synths that I own. The resonance on this thing is really as good as I've ever heard. I have a real love for the SH101 resonance and I opened it up all the way and compared it to the Dominion 1. They are slightly different flavors but I couldn't pick one. They both just sound equally fantastic to me. For pure LFO rensonace Zap though I'd give the edge to the 101

I recorded this which is just three knobs being utilized only: the Cutoff, the Resonance and the Filter settings of LP 1-4, BP 1-4, HP 1-2 and NO 1-2. Any sudden clicks or shifts you hear is me turning the knob on the Filter selection. There is a slight delay and reverb from the eventide H8000. So far I'm very impressed with the sound though I haven't nearly gone through much what it can do. I don't think the presets are the best to show off it's versatility. I think it is going to end up being my favorite mono (though it's 3 note paraphony).