Using nothing but samples to create music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Using nothing but samples to create music

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:38 am

I can't believe that I've just now realized something. There are entire songs, entire albums even, that were made using virtually nothing but samples from older records.

Yeah, I know they've been doing this since, like, the '80s, but it never dawned on me until I saw the video below. A guy covers "Smack My b***h Up" by The Prodigy by using the original sample sources and sequencing them in the exact manner that the band did.

Amazing. I'm thinking about getting a Microsampler now. :lol:

I'm also hooked on Whosampled.com, which is a site that will tell you what the sample sources are from your favorite songs, and allows you to play YouTube videos of them. It's pretty interesting to hear the original source materials and how creatively they were used. Which leads me to this conclusion: Fatboy Slim is a freaking genius. :ugeek:

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Using nothing but samples to create music

Post by monolith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:54 am

Have you heard DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing...' ?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:17 am

monolith wrote:Have you heard DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing...' ?
Or

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 am

Paul's Boutique
Low End Theory
3 Feet and Rising
Donuts
Since I Left You
Introducing...
Foley Room

There is the John Cage records of found sounds and random sounds.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 am

wiss wrote:Paul's Boutique
Low End Theory
3 Feet and Rising
Donuts
Since I Left You
Introducing...
Foley Room

There is the John Cage records of found sounds and random sounds.
Most of those are different. Foley Room is made of audio that Tobin and his crew recorded, not appropriated audio. 3 Feet and Rising is rapping over beats with samples in between, etc. That's not to say it's better or worse--just different than the "virtually nothing but samples from older records" thing that the OP is talking about.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 am

Erm. Did you guys ever hear about listen to Yello? Boris Blank utilized samples of practically everything since the early 80's I guess. Just not the older records, rather "anything that can be captured with a microphone or else"

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:13 am

vicd wrote:Erm. Did you guys ever hear about listen to Yello?
Yeah, I've never been able to enjoy Yello.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Art of Noise, anyone? They're the ORIGINAL sampling group.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 pm

vicd wrote:Erm. Did you guys ever hear about listen to Yello? Boris Blank utilized samples of practically everything since the early 80's I guess. Just not the older records, rather "anything that can be captured with a microphone or else"
The way Boris Blank used samples in the early years was absolutely unique and idiosyncratic -- you would hear in an instant it was him. He also created a huge library of sounds that were genuinely his own (although I believe to hear the string section of Klaus Schulze´s "Ludwig von Bayern" on "Ciel ouvert") -- this is creative sampling. I must confess I never cared for the stuff that was released past "The Race" -- it got a bit too much of everything.

Just ripping stuff off records is daft -- that´s why these, ho-hum, punks call themselves that way. It takes no musicianship to cough something up like this but it makes you believe you are super creative.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique" was far from first but is the most outrageous use of samples before the copyright police got into the act.

Nowadays there's that guy Girl Talk.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: Just ripping stuff off records is daft -- that´s why these, ho-hum, punks call themselves that way. It takes no musicianship to cough something up like this but it makes you believe you are super creative.
Can you explain who you're talking about here?
While there are alot of people using samples in an almost cheaty way to cover up the lack of ideas they have, there are some genuinely amazingly skillful work from people who sample. Even stuff that is not technically skillful even, just bringing something new to the table making old sounds sound fresh is a skill.
Digable planets, Blowout Comb springs to mind. There are literally hundreds of amazing hip hop tunes out there that are musically great.
Entroducing is a classic album too.

For me, personally, I won't sample music, I have to make everything myself in order for me to feel I have accomplished something, but that's not to say I won't for something specific like a song comp (as I posted in the other thread). I used to think sampling was cheating but it really isn't, it's just another angle.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:25 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Just ripping stuff off records is daft -- that´s why these, ho-hum, punks call themselves that way. It takes no musicianship to cough something up like this but it makes you believe you are super creative.
I don't think you can generalise like that. Yes, there is some very poor stuff out there. But- Prodigy. Amazing work. And DJ Shadow was already mentioned- a lot of his earlier stuff is wonderful. Also, Fat Boy Slim's "You've come a long way baby" is superb- created from a large and carefully catalogued collection of records, with some synth added here and there.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:53 pm

everythings a sample. nothings a sample. funny how when you play something the first time around its a performance, but the recording, when given to someone completely removed from the process becomes a 'sample'.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:23 pm

zoomtheline wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote: Just ripping stuff off records is daft -- that´s why these, ho-hum, punks call themselves that way. It takes no musicianship to cough something up like this but it makes you believe you are super creative.
Can you explain who you're talking about here?[...]
Daft Punk, for starters, and all that followed in the vein of "let´s take the drums from this album, the guitars from that, hey, and this is a nice fill-in, let´s use this hookline off of that album as well and make a hit single from that brew."

Never been into the majority of 1990s dance and techno stuff for that reason... rather than trying to come up with something that vaguely resembled Tomita or Tangerine Dream or whatever, people like FSOL would just lift some textures from these albums, mangle them a bit, and that´s about it. Put a drum groove underneath, and off you go.

Not my cup of tea but your mileage may vary.

Nothing against using sampling as a sound design tool (it´s wonderful as that) but I think it´s more original using one´s own stuff as sample fodder rather than ripping somebody else´s work for things you find yourself incapable of creating (perhaps because you´re lacking this little spark of ingenuity that it takes to be an inspirational musician).

Oh, I don´t like Rap or Hip-Hop either, and you won´t be able to convince me of how great and inventive this music is. I hate it. Full stop. Don´t even try ;).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:45 pm

haha, fair enough. Opinions are opinions.

However, Most of 90's dance music was not ripped off (some maybe) but the majority of artists would not of heard of TD and definitely no tomita. They would just be learning synths for the first time and making pretty generic melodies and making music that was new because of the dance/rhythm elements combined.

Chances are because you're old and jaded ;) (nothing wrong with that) you will not hear 99.9% of music that is out there today so you can only judge it on the mainstream. Mainstream music today is in a dire state but there is absolutely amazing stuff happening in the background. I am surprised all the time by the quality of peoples work on soundcloud.