KAWAI K5000 Cool Blue LCD!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: KAWAI K5000 Cool Blue LCD!

Postby Broadwave » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:22 am

Just bought a Z1 with a very dim display (LCM24064)... I may just give this a go.

Thanks for the info.
Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Postby synthdrome » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 am

Hi all. Im doing the install and needed prep for the display. For the life of me I can't find anything on the new display marked j2. J1 yes...that's over by anode and kathode of the backlight ins (not at pin header access point). Do I have an incorrect model? Or newer revision? The model number is the same. Thanks for any help.
synthdrome

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 am

synthdrome wrote:Hi all. Im doing the install and needed prep for the display. For the life of me I can't find anything on the new display marked j2. J1 yes...that's over by anode and kathode of the backlight ins (not at pin header access point). Do I have an incorrect model? Or newer revision? The model number is the same. Thanks for any help.

Hi Synthdrome - the connector side of the pcb assembly on the display should look like this:

The position of the J1 & J2 links are correct for the K5000 in the picture.

IMPORTANT:

It is very important indeed that pins 19 and 20 are NOT connected to the new display (you can see I snipped them off in the picture). The reason for this is that pin 19 is the font select pin which in the original K5000 build is directly connected to the 5 volt rail on the PSU (there really should have been a current limiting resistor on the mainboard in series with it!). In the new display this pin is connected to ground via the factory default positions of J1 & J2 thus shorting the 5V rail! Sadly the K5000 PSU is terribly under-engineered and is more likely to fail permanently than enter its current limiting state or blow the pcb mounted fuse and it can fail almost instantly.

Also, as I've clarified before, the unit will appear completely dead on bootup (bar the backlight) if the floppy drive and analog board are not plugged in during testing on power up.

Also to further clarify something... some of you might be saying to yourselves, what is the point of setting the J1/J2 pins on the display if the pin they connect to (pin 19) on the ribbon header has been snipped off? Well the answer is that this is an input pin on the display whereby the font width can be selected externally from the ribbon header but equally can be configured internally on the display which is what the jumpers are for and hence pin 19 & 20 can be removed.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby synthdrome » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reply and pic. I now I'm 100%certain I'm not crazy or impaired. My display is not that display configuration at all. s**t. I'm wondering if the have since changed the specs on it...? Mine has only j1 all the way opposite the pin header side. Grrrrrr. The model number is the same minus the b. think it's worth getting another o try?
synthdrome

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:22 pm

synthdrome wrote:Thanks for the reply and pic. I now I'm 100%certain I'm not crazy or impaired. My display is not that display configuration at all. s**t. I'm wondering if the have since changed the specs on it...? Mine has only j1 all the way opposite the pin header side. Grrrrrr. The model number is the same minus the b. think it's worth getting another o try?

Are you sure it's actually a white on blue display?

Unfortunately lots of LCD modules have very similar part numbers because they are often derived, at least in part, from the their resolution. It may well be suitable - the key factors are that it has the header in the same position as the original and that it has the same controller chip ie. Toshiba T6963C compatible in this case.

The displays I've been using are available here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24064-Dot-Matri ... OC:GB:3160

Please note that they take a fair while to arrive.

These particular displays are very striking in appearance because they are modern negative transmissive STN types which have much higher contrast ratios than the more conventional transflective backlit displays.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby synthdrome » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:33 am

Thanks for the reply! I ordered the display you linked to. I'm going to run with the known variables on this project. Id rather not experiment on the k5000... I love her too much. Thanks for the info and help!
synthdrome

Postby synthdrome » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:43 am

Total success! Its absolutely fabulous now! Wow! I ordered a new display from your link hideaway and installed it. I only had to replace the shorter m3 screws with longer ones to reach the stand offs on my version. It fit flawlessly and used 5v from the floppy. Awesome awesome upgrade hack. SOOOOOOO much better than a foil. Thanks so much for figuring it out and posting the procedure!
synthdrome

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:27 pm

synthdrome wrote:Total success! Its absolutely fabulous now! Wow! I ordered a new display from your link hideaway and installed it. I only had to replace the shorter m3 screws with longer ones to reach the stand offs on my version. It fit flawlessly and used 5v from the floppy. Awesome awesome upgrade hack. SOOOOOOO much better than a foil. Thanks so much for figuring it out and posting the procedure!

Great stuff and many thanks! I agree - it utterly transforms this beast. The contrast ratio and viewing angle is absolutely superb. I revisited my K5000R only the other day and I have to say its a joy to use now as are the SY77 and TG77 which I converted in the same manner some time back.

It looks like there is a very good possibility this display will also work in the Korg Wavestation A/D and probably the keyboard versions. It actually reminded me that I bought a spare blue display to have a go. I might try this in the next few weeks and if it works out then I will post the retrofit procedure.

Its worth noting that not all of these things are created equal. For example, sadly there is no way such a display will work in the AKAI S1000 without major modification. It is indeed a similar size but is a controllerless display with the controller IC mounted on the mainboard.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby synthdrome » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm not sure how you're vrrsio on the 5000 was lsud out... but I could have left my crystal stock. The main CPU PCB is 3 inches is so above it and had tons of room. Also my header for the LCD, had issues with fitting around or sneaking by the backlight pins... I end up soldering directly to them and bending them almost 90 carefully to let the header just miss them, then jump from the floppy 5v and ground over.

As for physical fit... it was a dream. Only had to replace the short stock M3 screws with longer ones I had so I could reach the side mounted stand off brackets. I also electrical taped the bezel for peace of mind. Thanks again for the great mod and willingness to share it!
synthdrome

Postby piRoN » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 am

This makes me want to crack open my S3000XL and see if there's a modern high-contrast screen that can be made to work. It still gets a fair bit of use, but the display contrast is atrocious.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby Mesmerised » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:27 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:It looks like there is a very good possibility this display will also work in the Korg Wavestation A/D and probably the keyboard versions. It actually reminded me that I bought a spare blue display to have a go. I might try this in the next few weeks and if it works out then I will post the retrofit procedure.

Yes, I'm also very happy about the new display on my K5000S! (since its resurrection) Really great!
Keep us updated about the WS since I have the keyboard around, sitting in a gigbag most of the time because of the annoying whine of the display converter. (and the Korg plugin version really nails the sound right on the spot, but it's still a good and elegant keyboard.)
Mesmerised

Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Postby abruzzi » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:41 am

I was dissembling my K5000S to get to rotary encoder--it's barely working any more. I was going to try cleaning it (and all the buttons since I'm in there) with Deoxit and see if I can get any function back. Anyway, just stumbled across this thread, and I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. So the keyboard is in pieces in my studio, and the new LCD is on order and in a couple weeks I'll try to put it together.

One quick question--how exactly are you getting 5v for the backlight? Someone mentioned floppy. I haven't looked yet, but how do you get that from the floppy, split the floppy power? Or is there a jumper on the floppy you can pull from?
abruzzi

Postby iphoenix » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:40 am

Nice one. I definitely want to put one of these in my Korg Wavestation keyboard if it works, as I just don't feel like using it because of the inverter whine, which is way worse than when I first got the W.S. years ago. I have the software W.S. but just prefer working with the keyboard,(as Im comfortable with editing it & its so familiar to me), especially if I can get the display sorted.
I have a Kawai K5000S but my display is fine as it is for now, Though the blue display is really nice & would suit the silver bodywork. I guess its more critical with the rack for comfortable viewing.
iphoenix

Postby abruzzi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 am

Yeah, the Wavestation screen replacement is well documented (at least the A/D model, but I think they are basically the same.). I haven't done mine yet, but I don't use it that often:

http://tellun.com/wavestation/wavestation.html

My K5000S backlight is fine, but the screen contrast has never been very good so I like the idea of upgrading preemptively. I'm guessing these are a similar screen to what's in my Kurzweil K2500, I so, I'll love it.

Doing my TG77 is also high on my list.
abruzzi

Postby seinfold » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Guys,

I'm planning to do this replacement for my K5000R. I've fixed number of synths in the past and this seems pretty doable on those terms. But due to the fact that you can mess things up, I'd love to see some bit more complete tutorial on how to do this.

So please, anyone who has done this - or is doing it right know, could you please document your steps bit in more detailed manner. Really don't like the idea of messing anything up :D

Thanks in advance!
seinfold

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers