SQ-80 sequence file to Reason

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ctimmerman

SQ-80 sequence file to Reason

Post by ctimmerman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Here's the challenge. I have and SQ-80 with a bunch of old sequences and songs. I have Reason 7. I need to get the sequence data from the SQ-80 into Reason. I know it's possible to get the data into the computer, since I've done it in the past using Digital Orchestrator, which I no longer have.
I can hook up the SQ-80 to Reason, and manually play sounds on different MIDI Channels using and External Instrument rack, but cant seem to get Reason to drive the SQ-80 sequencer, or vice versa and record the MIDI data into Reason.
I have both a MAC and a Windows 8 PC with Reason, so either one is available to do this. I just need some setting details.

Thanks.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Re: SQ-80 sequence file to Reason

Post by max badwan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 am

Hi,
Reason (Preferences/Advanced), set the MIDI clock input, the SQ should pipe out MIDI clock and SPP, I've checked on Reason 6,
hope that helps!

ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 am

That works as far as the Reason sequencer playing the sounds from the SQ-80. What I need to do, is have the midi data recorded into Reason from the SQ-80. I can't get that to work at all.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:09 am

ctimmerman wrote:That works as far as the Reason sequencer playing the sounds from the SQ-80. What I need to do, is have the midi data recorded into Reason from the SQ-80. I can't get that to work at all.
you dont need reason controlling the sq80, you need the opposite. you have to set up some reason instruments on the respective channels you're recording.
you can use the midiaudio interface at the top of the rack. you might need to flip it around to hook it up. can't remember exactly.
oh, don't forget to arm the tracks in the sequencer.
w00t

ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 am

Oh well. It's all greek to me. Back to pencil and paper.