Any Korg EX 800 Users?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Any Korg EX 800 Users?

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 am

synthmaniak wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:i've since sold my Poly 800's. But just a few days ago I was going through some old recordings and couldnt beleive how many really good sounds I got with them. they are a b***h to make patches on, and the envelopes are kind of c**p. But something about polyphony with one filter over all the notes kind of works. They also had kind of a unique waveshape functionality with the organ style 'stops'.

I would recommend looking up the moogslayer and other mods for these synths. While it won't actually slay any Moogs (lets get real here) it does give you more latitude in how much resonance and drive the filter has. The switchable 12/24db slope mod works very well with the Moogslayer mod.
I second all of that. Having just gotten my beloved 800 back with the cut/res knobs and switchable filter (and also goodies like an FM knob and audio input), it's just as fun as I remember, plus more. It is still a bit fiddly even with the knobs, but it's capable of bright and sparkly yet still gritty leads, dirty basses and nice thick strings. I wouldn't call the strings "lush"; they have a nice darkness to them, probably due to the stepped DCO waves, but I am still so happy to have it back and working. Limited sound palette but also unique. Expanded by mods. There are plenty of Poly/EX-800 fans on this forum and elsewhere, and also plenty of haters. Also those of us with a love/hate relationship to the thing.

Anywhere i can get the mods done?, im not tech savvy.
There are people lurking around who can do it. There's a guy in NY who I originally sold my dead PS-800 to for parts. When I realized he mods them, I asked him to do the mods and I bought it back. He has six Poly-800s and two EX-800s that he's currently sitting on if I'm not mistaken; I think they're all modded.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

synthmaniak

Post by synthmaniak » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Anywhere i can get the mods done?, im not tech savvy.[/quote]

There are people lurking around who can do it. There's a guy in NY who I originally sold my dead PS-800 to for parts. When I realized he mods them, I asked him to do the mods and I bought it back. He has six Poly-800s and two EX-800s that he's currently sitting on if I'm not mistaken; I think they're all modded.[/quote]

Any way i can get his email or something?
Reason 7, Elektronika EM 25, Korg EX-800, Arturia V-Collection, Komplete 9, G Force String Machine,

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:59 am

synthmaniak wrote:Anywhere i can get the mods done?, im not tech savvy.
There are people lurking around who can do it. There's a guy in NY who I originally sold my dead PS-800 to for parts. When I realized he mods them, I asked him to do the mods and I bought it back. He has six Poly-800s and two EX-800s that he's currently sitting on if I'm not mistaken; I think they're all modded.[/quote]

Any way i can get his email or something?[/quote]

They pop up on eBay all the time. Just be patient; you'll find one soon enough. :)

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:51 pm

He already has a EX800, unmodded.

If you are looking to invest $$$ into modding your old Korg, then you'd be wise to spend it on the Hawk800 kit and THEN pay a tech to put that in..

You would have a new synth that is one of only ~120 made (so far, according to reported sales of kits).
The mod doubles the amount of parameters and the new modulations it can do are wild and crazy.. a lot like a modular.. you can reassign the LFO's in many different combinations.. there's now 11 different waveforms to use an LFO with.
Sine
Triangle
Saw
Square (w/pulsewidth phase adjustment)
Use an ADBSSR envelope generator
Do any above inverted too!

There's four LFO's. Two standard and two that are very slow to use and assign to modulate-
DCO pitch (and you can also trigger each drawbar tone in each DCO to trigger and loop in a sequence, like an arpeggiator).
VCF
Resonance
VCA

So I could have 1 LFO modulate VCF, another do VCA, the 3rd do Resonance and the 4th modulate pitch.. all at the same time with different delay times, waveforms, depths and speeds.

It would also allow you to do automated parameter changes with your DAW. Something the moogslayer mod can never do.
You could sync the modulations to BPM's. Do Trance gating effects and bass wobbling...

To find a tech, I'd find a local TV/Radio repair shop and show them your synth with the DIY instructions of the mods you want done.. they will see it's simple to do and would probably be happy to do the work for you, at a fair price.. say $75+, depending on the mods you want.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 am

Synthetech: Yeah, I suggested buying the Hawk kit four days ago. :roll:

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:27 am

Aaron2 wrote:Synthetech: Yeah, I suggested buying the Hawk kit four days ago. :roll:

At least he got an opinion from someone who actually owns a Hawk800. Along with a description of some of the many features it adds to the lowly Poly800.

I.don't understand the point of your recent post. Especially the :roll:

Did my 2nd'ing the Hawk mod 4 days after you did offend you somehow?

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 am

Sorry for bumping this old thread ;) .
Aaron2 wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:The switchable 12/24db slope mod works very well with the Moogslayer mod.
The 12/24db slope mod is, IMO, the best mod for the Poly 800.
Can anyone direct me to a 'how-to' instruction for this mod? I bought a Poly-800 (Mk I) yesterday, and I found detailed instructions for the MoogSlayer and FM800 mods which it'll get, but I did not find any instructions for the 12/24db slope mod. I reckon it's probably just adding a few wires and a switch, eh?

Thanks in advance!
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971