anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Post by yorgatron » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:00 pm

if so, do you play the actual electromechanical keyboard, or patches on synthesizers?

georgemarauder

Re: anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Post by georgemarauder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 pm

A Rhodes piano patch is essential to my production. I used to own a Rhodes Mark II but sold it. Still, I always use Rhodes patches in my music and play them via midi. Lovely sound.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I have a Rhodes Mk II 73 (flat-top ... which is great because the SH-202 fits very nicely up there :) ). I'm extremely fond of it and have used it often. It was recently pressed back into service after some time out due to bad tuning and action, and I decided to give it some much-needed care and attention.

Organ? My Roland VK-8M is exclusively for Hammond duties, it can be tweaked in a similar way to the real thing. It's controlled via a Korg Triton Le and I've never really liked the key action on this synth, so I recently went as far as taking the Triton apart and making the key action quite a bit shallower so that the playing style for the Hammond sounds was more like the shallow key action on the real thing (it also made the onboard Triton sounds more playable!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm

I love the sound of all the above, especially in the context of '70s rock/prog. I've got a Hammond L-133, but it's currently in the process of getting fixed up as I find time (for $60, I can't complain too much, but it does need more TLC than I initially guessed.) There's also an old Rhodes Stage 73 in slightly battered condition in my area that I'm seriously considering picking up - it's definitely in need of repair (the keysprings are all pretty mushy and it probably needs new felt,) but the owner only wants a few hundred bucks for it...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 pm

I'd love a wurly or a hammond in my setup. During my studio internship I got to play a handful of these and see the guts of an a200 and a C3 while they were under repair...beautiful instruments. The real deal just wouldn't be practical for me at this time so I'm forced to coax those sounds out of synths and software.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 pm

I love my 1976 Rhodes 73 Mk. 1 Stage Piano. Would love an 88 Mk. 1 Suitcase as well as a Wurli 200 but I just don´t have the space for either of them.

A B3 would be fantastic as well, and a CP70 to perch a Four Voice on top (or a Prophet 5) but...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Love, love, LOVE my MKII 73. It's really the centerpiece of my home setup. Synths of all kinds have come and gone, but the Rhodes sticks around. And will FOREVER.

It's carcass was given to me a few years ago. Missing some tines, tone bars, keys, etc. I spent a couple of months restoring her back to full glory. In addition to replacing the missing parts, I replaced every piece of felt, installed new hammer tips, installed the backcheck mod, replaced allll the screws and springs for the tone bars, and did a full re tune and voicing. I even made a fresh new top (didn't have the original) out of wood.

We've got a MKI 88 at the studio - mine kicks its a*s. But it hasn't had the same wrench time put in to it.

I'm in the process of restoring a Wurly 200. Different beast altogether. Super touchy electronics and quite frankly, a ridiculously overcomplicated action. The sound is cool, but not something I want to sit in front of all day, so it probably won't stick around. We've got another on at the studio anyways.

Organs are cool, but that's my studio partners wheelhouse. He's got a B3 (technically a loan/storage deal), a Porta-B, a few incarnations of the old electronic ones - 2 or 3 farfisas and a vox, as well as an old pump organ.

I would LOVE to own a Clavinet at some point, but they fetch so much $$!

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Sadly I have to rely on samples, if I had the money and space I'd have physical versions of each keyed instrument ever made. At one point I had an acoustic piano and a small dual tier organ, but moved into a smaller place and they had to go. One of of these days...

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 am

I have a Hammond SK-1 organ which is compact, light and sounds pretty awesome to me. It has some piano and other sounds too. I play the electric grand and Rhodes sounds quite a lot. The piano and mellow wurly sounds are good too.

The SK-1 Rhodes is quite close in tone to my real Rhodes which is a late seventies Mark 1 (1977 I think). Some work has been done on my Rhodes and it sounds really nice. Needs a bit more work on the action so it feels a bit nicer to play too.

I have a friend who has a lovely Wurly EP200 and it's definitely a nice instrument to play, but I'm not so sure I need that sound for my music, so i've never been tempted to buy one.

I don't have a Clavinet, but I do have a couple of Hohner Pianets. The Pianet N has an wonderful organic sound. I like using it straight, maybe with just the built-in Vibrato and some reverb. The Pianet T is great for putting through external effects, especially distortion, phasers, delay etc. It has rounded keys so is great for slides and general mucking around/crazyness.

I'd like a CP-70 but don't think I'll ever have room.

Tchammosaur

Post by Tchammosaur » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:55 am

I discovered the sound of a Rhodes pretty late, but I fell in love with it immediately. When I started playing with bands, the Rhodes sounds on my Clavia Nord Electro were the sounds I used the most.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 am

I own two organs, a Hammond M-series (maybe an M102, not sure) and a Wurlitzer 805 Centura Professional with the Orbit III monosynth. I was first drawn to keyboard instruments (after playing guitar for many years) because I wanted to learn to play the organ. That fascination eventually morphed into my love of synthesizers. Nowadays, the organs are mostly decorative, but I still play them occasionally. If they weren't so expensive and unreliable, I'd also love to have a Vox Continental. That, and a Rhodes Piano Bass on top, like Ray Manzarek. :D

Frankly, I don't like the Rhodes piano sound. Perhaps because it was so overdone on the DX7 during the '80s. But for some odd reason, I've always wanted to own a Rhodes Fifty-Four. They're so compact and cool-looking! Not to mention fairly rare. I know I'd hardly ever play the damn thing, but I'I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
Last edited by Aaron2 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

rschnier
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rschnier » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 am

I have a 1980 Rhodes Mk II and a Wurly 200 and love the sound of both. For me, using samples of either would be way too sterile -- the actual instruments have a "liveness" and randomness that completely disappears when using samples.

I love the sound of a Hammond B3 but don't own one. The only synth/sample version of that that I would consider using is the Hammond B3 module, but I suspect even that would be lacking the realness and other quirks of the actual magnetic tonewheels in the real thing.
-- R.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 am

Aaron2 wrote:Frankly, I don't like the Rhodes piano sound. Perhaps because it was so overdone on the DX7 during the '80s. But for some odd reason, I've always wanted to own a Rhodes Fifty-Four. They're so compact and cool-looking! Not to mention fairly rare. I know I'd hardly ever play the damn thing, but I'I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
There's a world of difference between the "DX7 piano" sound and the sound of a real tine piano, though. I actually like the DX7 E.PIANO 1/FullTines sound on its own merits (over-used as it is,) but it's nothing like the real deal.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:Frankly, I don't like the Rhodes piano sound. Perhaps because it was so overdone on the DX7 during the '80s. But for some odd reason, I've always wanted to own a Rhodes Fifty-Four. They're so compact and cool-looking! Not to mention fairly rare. I know I'd hardly ever play the damn thing, but I'I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
There's a world of difference between the "DX7 piano" sound and the sound of a real tine piano, though. I actually like the DX7 E.PIANO 1/FullTines sound on its own merits (over-used as it is,) but it's nothing like the real deal.
I like the DX7 E Piano sound too (although I don't always like how it was used). When I first had a DX7, I think it was pretty much permanently set to the E Piano 1 patch. It's an expressive sound, with dynamics that are much more controllable than the average Rhodes. I found it good for writing. Thinking back, both the Rhodes and DX7 E Piano may have been a gateway to synthesis and a far greater palette of sounds.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:43 am

I have a Hammond M-143 in need of repair, as well as an old reed organ. Everything else, I'd have to use samples. I'm not a big fan of the Rhodes (or the DX imitation of it), but I'd take a wurly, CP-70 or Clavinet in a heartbeat if someone offered.
You can't synthesize love