anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Re: anyone else like wurly/rhodes/clavinet/organ here?

Post by max badwan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:03 am

back in the day I had a D6 Clavinet, great to play, b***h to lug around, replaced it with sampler/rompler and saved my back

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 am

I absolutely love all these sounds but have never owned a Rhodes or the like. I like my Sk50 for the organy feel and can make clav sounds but would love to own the real things.
I love jamming and writing songs and riffs with logic piano presets but have a hard time convincing myself that these presets can be used in my music so I normally just use as a scratch pad and swap out the presets for original synth patches.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Aaron2 wrote: [...] Frankly, I don't like the Rhodes piano sound. Perhaps because it was so overdone on the DX7 during the '80s. But for some odd reason, I've always wanted to own a Rhodes Fifty-Four. They're so compact and cool-looking! Not to mention fairly rare. I know I'd hardly ever play the damn thing, but I'I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
The DX7 Rhodes sound has got nothing to do with a Rhodes, it´s just to give you an idea of how good a Rhodes might sound in that context.

The Yamaha GS-1 electric piano sound (as used by Vangelis on "Antarctic Echoes", for instance) would be an entirely different story altogether, however.

Forgot to include the Yamaha YC-30 organ. I´ve used this (and the 45D) for ages, although I had to part with the 45 for space reasons. I also had a Farfisa Compact (red one, with valve preamp) and a Compact Duo but the Yamahas would wipe the floor with the Compacts, honestly.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Into one trick ponies, here:

1980 MK II Stage with Dyno added
1973 MK I Stage
power amp and Peterson pre housed to run the one of the above out to an external cab at home.

1971 B3 with 142
1963 M3
196x M111 rehoused
Clavinet
Wurli 145A
Wurli 200

I drag the 145a and Hammond xk1 with a ratty, mutant 142 out for gigs.

When I sit down to play, its usually either the 200 or the MK I that I prefer (at night when the family is sleeping).
Haven't played the Clav in a bit. Thinking about moving it down the line as it doesn't see much use lately.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a Rhodes MKI. Not a Fender Rhodes, just a Rhodes after they dropped the Fender from the name, but I've tried to mod it to sound more like the instruments used on early-70s jazz fusion stuff (yeah, it sounds nothing like the 80s DX7 approximations, it's an entirely different sound). The middle register is starting to get very worn out. I have resorted to adding felt, scotch tape, coins between the tonebars, thread... whatever... just to make it playable. Often a pain in the a*s if you'd just need to record something quickly, to be honest. Can't warm up to samples anymore though.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Love my Rhodes :headbang:

Now I wish I had more time to play it though...

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:34 pm

pflosi wrote:Love my Rhodes :headbang:

Now I wish I had more time to play it though...
Same here...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:01 pm

I have a Wurlitzer 145A, and I worship it. It makes me SO happy. It is currently broken despite having been recently fixed, and I am not pleased.

I have a Hohner Pianet T, and there is really nothing like it. It has a really dark warm sound that I usually overdrive with a tube preamp. You can feel the tines vibrating in the keys... it's really exquisite.

I have been given not one but two Rhodes 88s... and while I think they're nice, I'm not very inspired by them.

I have a Wurlitzer 7300... the coolest combo organ ever made. It still works, but some moron glued the rare tuning pots inside of it, so I've never been able to record with it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 pm

not exactly the same thing but i have a thing for farfisa combo organs... two fixer uppers a mini compact and a fast 5 still in the shop... they were gifts/bundled in a deal. nowadays i use the 'comboF' farfisa VST it stays in tune much nicer

Jacob Hunt
Gear: An old Polymoog that's on it's way.

Post by Jacob Hunt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:15 am

Synthesizers are great, but I could never let go of my Vox continental and rhodes bass, ever. For any reason. I also have a rhodes piano (saved it from the high school band closet) and a cp-70, and love them. The rhodes definitely won't be leaving anytime soon, but the cp-70 sure does eat up alot of space :)

Organs and electro-mechanical instruments are usually alot more fun to just play, but I still love me some synths. I'd also like the chance to play one of the wurlitzers or one of the proper Hammonds.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:29 am

I fixed this one up, I really do like the sound and how it looks and came out, but I bought it as a fix up project and if anyone is intrested I'd sell it for the right price, keep in mind it weights half a ton.

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 am

I absolutely love the sound of the old electro-mechanical keyboards but I always find myself and bit stumped on the rare occasion when I actually get near one, even though I can play regular piano. I fear I may simply be too much of a jive honky.

lowerlightsmusic

Post by lowerlightsmusic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:20 am

I've got a Rhodes MKII, Wurly 200, Hammond CV w/a Leslie 31A, Farfisa Mini-compact, Optigan, as well as a few wheezy old air organs. I find the real deal to be much more inspirational than a plug-in/virtual instrument. There is something about the action on my Wurly that no midi controller can replicate. I also run my Rhodes into a Space Echo, and it is so much fun to reach over and tweak those big Roland knobs in real time and hear the tape warble as the time re-adjusts.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 am

i remember one time i had to do some community service at a local church,
it was unsupervised so i spent most of the time on the little tonewheel hammond they had in the choir practice room. it wasnt as nice as a b3, but it was great gettin to play on a real tonewheel machine

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have a Wurlitzer 7300... the coolest combo organ ever made. It still works, but some moron glued the rare tuning pots inside of it, so I've never been able to record with it.
Autotune it! :mrgreen: