Kraftwerk 3D

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Re: Kraftwerk 3D

Post by EmptySet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:27 am

seamonkey wrote:Has Kraftwerk become the new Milli Vanilli?
Were they ever anything but? Don't forget, they used to put ROBOTS of themselves on stage to play. They've never been about live playing except in their very earliest days. Feel lucky that they even decided to grace the stage in meat form. :)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 am

Re-Member wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I'm basically wondering if they are using some kind of midi/cv sequencer to provide an "analog" controller for a sound module synth.
MIDI and CV are two entirely different things. A MIDI controller or sequencer is pretty much self-contained and can manipulate 16 different sounds at once depending on how the CC data and MIDI channels are set up. CV, on the other hand, has to be patched into each individual parameter is it modulating. On top of that, each individual sound would require it's own individual synth module with patching points.
calaverasgrande wrote:That is kind of how it appeared to me from the way some phrases were manipulated in real time.
There were several instances where I could see a performers movements (at whatever device) were obviously controlling cutoff or modulation.
The same can be done by connecting any type of MIDI controller with knobs that control CC data to a synth module or DAW that can receive these messages.
calaverasgrande wrote:As far as triggering loops, how can we even tell if its a DAW loop of a sequenced analog or actual sequenced analog?
(Or sequenced softsynths)
Triggering loops could mean any number of things. Could be a sample of audio, could be a MIDI sequence playing back digital hardware, analog gear, or even softsynths. But in Kraftwerk's case, I think relying on triggering loops in real time would prove too risky considering they have a backing projection to stay in sync with. The fact that each member has a screen in front of them pretty much means a DAW is being utilized in some way either as a sequencer and/or sound source. Having sequenced tracks doesn't necessarily mean that every note or parameter change for every sound being heard is entirely automated. I've actually played live with sequenced tracks for years now, but I also play lead melodies by hand while tweaking out the sequenced sounds via MIDI CC in real time.
I know what midi and CV are. maybe look at my gear list before you school me?
Doepfer and several others make "midi and CV" sequencers. Even Akai does.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:24 pm

From what i do know...

They use or have on stage with them apart from their sony viao laptops, they used novation and some other keyboard controllers and Fritz Hilpert (3rd in the row) uses a Doepfer Regelwerk midi controller/sequencer.

Some of this gear was seen from camera angles in video.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:47 pm

Kraftwerk were featured in Sony laptop adverts back during the Minimum/Maximum tour years. I saw them in Seattle then, and even though we were in the 3rd balcony, we brought binoculars and it looked like every one was actively playing/controlling things. Certainly Ralf was singing. Well, perhaps Florian was watching something more than playing something...

They had the Robots come out for one of the encores as they changed into their Tron suits. The audience went wild as the Robots played the "The Robots". No one seemed to care that it was all sequenced.

I plan on going to see them again this summer! I can't believe I'll see them twice in a lifetime. I'd given up all hope of ever seeing them in the mid-90s.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:55 pm

synthroom wrote: I plan on going to see them again this summer! I can't believe I'll see them twice in a lifetime. I'd given up all hope of ever seeing them in the mid-90s.
That is kind of how I felt. The last time they came through the Bay Area I had just moved to a new place and was broke as h**l. I wish I could have gone to see them when I was much younger and more enthusiastic about music (and before they started adding contemporary dance music idioms to their old hits!).
But that show last Tuesday, warts and all, was still one of my top ten concert experiences. I'd put it up there with seeing Devo in 81 and 82. I seriously got kind of giddy a few times during the set.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 am

Giddy - yes!

And I saw Devo as well in 1982!
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 am

PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm

intercorni wrote:
yeah pretty much that but with 50 foot tall 3d objects bouncing around over their heads.
I was also kind of unprepared for how heavy some of the original tunes sounded 'at volume'.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Kind of weird that you hear all these synth bass lines but none of the four are actually playing their keyboard.

But at least they're performing their own songs unlike "dj's" or Milli Vanilli so it's fine 8-)

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:46 am

calaverasgrande wrote:Just caught the Teutonic legends...
Are they really the Teutonic legends with only one original member?

synthroom

Post by synthroom » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:21 am

Teutonic Legend...

Come on, we all know that Ralf was the brains behind Kraftwerk, and Florian was there for his good looks!
;^)

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 pm

AnalogKid wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:Just caught the Teutonic legends...
Are they really the Teutonic legends with only one original member?
for a 40+ year old band it is hard to pick such nits.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 pm

I was at Tuesday night's show, and while I couldn't make out what they were using, I couldn't have been happier with the show as a whole.
Total greatest hits set with cheesy 3-D computer graphics.
When the flying saucer came down to the Oakland Fox sign, I almost lost my s**t! f**k hilarious!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 pm

As they say, it's not the gear that decides if the show is great, it's the musicians that use it.

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I've always disliked Kraftwerk; and the video shown here only compounds that feeling. Absolutely depressing. I feel they are the biggest con going. They are doing absolutely nothing on stage. I'm being earnest about that and not trolling to trying to provoke. I cannot for the life of me see, or hear, what they are supposed to be about.