Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Post by knolan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:24 pm

If Yamaha re-released the CS80, would you buy one?

What's the maximum (realistic) price you'd pay?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Doubt it. It's a relic from the past. And I'm sure everyone will make "that" blade runner sound, play with it a while and put it on ebay.

A "mini" version would be horrible to use, the CS-80 is so crammed with sliders and buttons, downsizing it even more would make it awful to use.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I´d buy two in an instant, given they´re quite as expressive to play and as massive-sounding as the original. Hey, even the 50 and 60 are incredibly musical instruments in their own right... just sit down, play, and get carried away.

Yes, they are relics from the past but, funnily enough, nothing has yet equalled the CS80 in some respects (sound, keyboard, expressiveness). I´m sure a contemporary CS80 would not be any larger than a SY77 and not much heavier than a Kurzweil K-2500, with all its features retained. The memory flap would no longer be there, the construction would be made from plastic and metal rather than from plywood and formica, and the power supply would perhaps be a tad less massive.

Its price would, of course, play a role, though.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

would you help me move it in?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Compare this (1976) with this (2014).

And while not 100% comparable with synths, you can't deny that old cars look dated in a cheesy way. Why would a full/complex synth developed in 2014 be worse than a full/complex synth developed in 1976? It's not like technology has stalled or anything.. TV's got better, air planes got better, cars got better, even bikes got better, computers got better, phones got better etc. Why is it that new synths somehow can't be enough?

And sure: don't get me wrong: a real CS-80 would look spiffy in anyone's studio, but wouldn't the practical value of a recreation of it be null compared to today's possibilities with regular new synths? I drive a 2003 Renault, not because I like the year, but it happened to be convenient (read: it wasn't that expensive :)). If a recreation of a CS-80 would go for an insanely high price (and a similar weight), then all I can say is: "OMG".

And that Blade Runner stuff: just grab a good synth with enough editing options and make it. You don't need a CS-80 for that..
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:59 pm

For a lot of people it would come down to sound and price. Korg surprised a lot of people with a) just how close to the original ms20 sound they got, and b) the price. If Yamaha, as another Japanese company, could pull anything remotely similar with a polysynth, including the critical third part of smaller format, they would make an absolute worldwide fortune compared to the original profits of the 1970s.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:36 pm

I don't really have enough of a feel for the character of the CS-80 to figure whether I'd actually want one for myself, though if it's as expressive as all that it'd be fun to at least try playing one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:51 pm

CS_TBL wrote: [...] a real CS-80 would look spiffy in anyone's studio, but wouldn't the practical value of a recreation of it be null compared to today's possibilities with regular new synths? [...]
Strangely enough, nobody seems to be too bothered with this when looking at the fuss that is being made about the ARP Odyssey re-issue, the Oberheim SEM re-issue, the TTSH ARP 2600 clone, the MS20 re-issue, and even the modern Prophet synthesisers aren´t dismissed of as being "impractical" or what. Have I already mentioned all that Boomstar stuff, the Moog Voyager and its spin-offs, the Studio Electronics Omega stuff etc.?

If the CS80 is modernized, with all that old-fashioned plywood replaced with more modern (and less heavy) materials, but retaining some of its best bits...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes and I'd get on the waiting list for 599

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 pm

Depends...However, I don't expect to ever see a CS80 reissue so I'll leave it at that.

I'd personally like to see Yamaha release a new analog mono or duophonic synth for much cheaper, but they won't. Besides, the Korg Odyssey will already fill that void in the market.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't understand the naysayers in this thread. It seems to be pretty simple to me. You'd buy it if:
1. you liked the sound of the first synth
2. you didn't mind that it would probably be popular and lots of people would have it
3. you thought it sounded close enough to the original
4. it wasn't too expensive
5. it had the right form factor (mini-keys or not, whichever you'd prefer)

2 isn't supposed to be a hipster statement, but I think one of the reasons people lust after the CS-80 is its rarity-- if you heard it on every record, it would probably lose a little bit of its mystique-- not that people still wouldn't like it though. Look at the Minimoog and prophet 5.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:28 pm

CS_TBL wrote:And while not 100% comparable with synths, you can't deny that old cars look dated in a cheesy way. Why would a full/complex synth developed in 2014 be worse than a full/complex synth developed in 1976? It's not like technology has stalled or anything.. TV's got better, air planes got better, cars got better, even bikes got better, computers got better, phones got better etc. Why is it that new synths somehow can't be enough?
The thing is that synths, as with any other musical instrument, have a very strong aesthetic component in both the "ooh, neat!" factor and the actual sonic character. They're not something where "roughly functionally equivalent" is good enough - you can't look at a checklist of "oh, two oscillators, a 12dB/oct. resonant low-pass filter, two ADSRs, and an LFO" and actually have a meaningful idea of how the thing sounds, because there's so many other aspects that add up to often drastically different sounds for seemingly similar gear.

And being such a subjective, aesthetic subject, lots of people have drastically different opinions on it. You might think that old cars look cheesy, but I happen to find cars of certain eras quite cool (although not your '76 Renault - but even that isn't so bad compared to today's homogenous polygonal insectoid shoeboxes.) h**l, I'll even say that I don't think computers have significantly improved in any aspect other than raw horsepower since about 1995. So yeah, there's lots of people who prefer older synths, because it's not (for the most part) a field where quality can be generically quantified in terms of "advancement" or "complexity."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 pm

The CS-50 I own is the finest synthesizer (in layout and quality) that I have ever played. It is an example of a synthesizer "done right" in that it was not made with cheap components that feel terrible. It was not made to jump on a few gimicky bandwagons. It was an electronic device designed to deliver a musical physical experience as well as a musical aural experience.
In addition to that, it does a number of things that other synthesizers did not do, and it does them in a staggeringly musical fashion. It is truly a musicians' instrument.

So, my initial answer is "YES!" Followed quickly by the qualifier "If they made it right, I'd never be able to afford it." It would be SUCH a boutique item as to be impossibly expensive. Not only simply through quality components... but the WIRING... the SOLDERING. The thing isn't filled with ICs. It's filled with actual components WIRED TOGETHER. It represents a TREMENDOUS expense in construction materials and labor... perhaps the highest possible.

As for the sound... I have to roll my eyes when people talk about limitation. The average synth user is using sounds that could be made on the simplest of synthesizers. The CS polyphonics are capable of a staggering diversity of sound... many more sounds than you hear the average person making with them. Yes, Vangelis and all of that, but seriously... no one who just wants to recreate that is going to be able to afford one. They are extremely powerful and diverse analog synthesizers.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:44 pm

knolan wrote:If Yamaha re-released the CS80, would you buy one?

What's the maximum (realistic) price you'd pay?
Not me, because I'm not likely to have the money to blow on one thing that costs that much. And an actual CS80 reissue wouldn't be cheap. The list price for the original was 7100 bucks. In 1978 dollars, which is the equivalent of 25 grand today. No, I doubt a reissued one would cost that much, but I doubt it would be cheap either. And of course that's why we aren't likely to see one, no one will make a profit doing one. I'm not sure Yamaha made money on the originals.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Synthetech

Post by Synthetech » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 am

It was reissued.. by Arturia several years ago.

And if you are careful enough.. you might get it for free! (Depending on where you stand regarding your ethics in the warez debate.)