Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:15 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Are there any examples of really poorly-designed synthesizers with terrible circuit topology that are overall great-sounding synthesizers? What on Earth are you talking about?
Yes. The Octave Kitten.

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 am

Jabberwalky wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: Are there any examples of really poorly-designed synthesizers with terrible circuit topology that are overall great-sounding synthesizers? What on Earth are you talking about?
Yes. The Octave Kitten.
Certain Italian synths stand out to me as well. :P

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:52 am

You know what? The number of views of this thread is quite interesting and in itself may suggest a healthy interest in the return of instruments like the CS80!

The interest - even if just curiosity for most - is similar to the 'interest' shown in similar threads prior tot he actual release of the likes of the minibrute.

Hmm...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 pm

^ Can I assume then, from the fact that the current "V-Synth" thread in general has 8 pages as well, but more than twice as many views, that a new V-Synth is due as well? :mrgreen:

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:29 pm

You know, a new V-Synth would be a lot better than what they're doing now.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:You know, a new V-Synth would be a lot better than what they're doing now.
I was just thinking today, on some other thread someone made a comment that current Moog Music is hardly the company or the designs that the Original, New York company was. (debatable)
Well Roland, while they still makes synths, is not even a shadow of a shadow in that regard.
At least Moog is still doing analog gear, and innovating with new designs like freqbox, clusterflux and Sub37, while re-booting old ones like the Taurus.
Roland is making what, the TR8?
I'm not trying to bash on Roland, I'm just disappointed in the lack of leadership in that company.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:04 pm

I was thinking today that Korg has done over the last couple of years basically came out of the blue. Yamaha shocked everyone in 1982 and kept what they were doing under wraps - moog were on the point of releasing a new polysynth until they were dumbfounded to see the dx7 unveiled at a tradeshow. Japanese companies have got form on bombshell changes.

"The SL8 had finally started becoming a decent sounding Moog that would split, layer, and edit from the panel and scan and store about ten patches. It ran on the development system until two days before NAMM.

At the hotel suite across from the center, we had a sales meeting before NAMM and I had been pledged to secrecy not to "spill the beans".

I performed about a 15 minute demo with the ten sounds and then watched the faces with big smiles thinking big success.

After a few drinks everyone was discussing how to market the instrument to the "big dogs" that would be brought over to the hotel from the show for a demo.

Next day, the major synth sellers in the U.S. were given private demos and the vaporware SL8 was given thousands of units of token orders.

On the last day of the show I finally got some time to go over to the floor and at the Moog booth I saw an ashen faced Herb Deutsch say to me "Craig, go over to the Yamaha booth." I went over and saw a sleek keyboard and put on the headphones ..... to my great surprise this new six-operators synthesizer with new algorithms and feedback and velocity and pressure was astounding. I asked how much .. and the answer explained Herb's crestfallen demeanor. How would Moog compete with this? "
Last edited by alan partridge on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Roland used to be my favourite of the big 3, but not anymore. They're heading towards bankruptcy just like Nintendo is.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Expect the unexpected from Japan.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, Pro-One, Juno-60, JX-3P, AX80, SQ80, AN1x, DX100, DX7E!, DX7IIFDE!, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Drumtraks, TR-08 and Eurorack

Post by Swayze » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:47 am

What I think would be cool is if Yamaha developed a CS80 emulator as an expansion to their Motif XF series. Much like the D50 card for the V-Synth. If that's not possible now, they should include it as an option for their next line of workstations. As useless as the Jupiter 80 is for my setup, the fact that it can mimic the architecture of the Jupiter 8 as a virtual analog is kinda sweet.

Since Yamaha tends to focus on performance-oriented keyboards, this seems like the next logical step to me. I'd consider getting a Motif with a virtual CS80 living inside it accessible via touch screen. Add crazy sample mangling and Yamaha could have themselves a serious rival to the V-Synth.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:32 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: I actually put the MS20 in the 'making beats' category. It is a less popular, but still well known piece among dance music people.
Why would you do that?
I've coveted an MS20 for a long time. I was really surprised it was re-issued. I had no idea it was a
"well known piece among dance music people" until the gushing and goo-gawing started in earnest on many online forums. I'd thought all that stuff was done with a 303 and an Alpha Juno.

I make no apologies for my hatred of dance music. And yes I do own a X0X, but I don't let it sound 'acid'.
? so what on Earth did people make "dance music" with before the juno and 303 were released? :shock:
Do you even post on vse bro?

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:46 am

Sir Ruff wrote:? so what on Earth did people make "dance music" with before the juno and 303 were released? :shock:
That'd be disco then; with string machines, clavi, rhodes/piano, guitars, drums, mellotron and big mamas.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 pm

CS_TBL wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:? so what on Earth did people make "dance music" with before the juno and 303 were released? :shock:
That'd be disco then; with string machines, clavi, rhodes/piano, guitars, drums, mellotron and big mamas.
Some of the best disco was done on a Moog Modular... :D
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:45 pm

And Yamaha GX-1 in ABBAs case.

But they probably wouldn't have needed that, they just piled on layers upon layers of everything to get "that" sound.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, disco "died" in 1980, leaving a 2 and 5? year delay before the 303 and juno were released, respectively. I guess there was simply no "dance music" in the interim :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?