Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:I drive a 2003 Renault, not because I like the year, but it happened to be convenient (read: it wasn't that expensive :)).
Totally off topic, but I thought you were from the states (CA?) ? If I'm wrong never mind, but if that's so, right on ! You are likely one of only a handful of Renault drivers in the US.
No no, I'm from the land of weed, legal drugs, Olympic scaters, tulips 'n such.. do an educated guess ^^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 pm

Really interesting replies. Seems to be a fair split between yes and no - though the number of views and replies to the thread show a fair amount of basic interest!

I own a few prisine CS80s ( :-) ). And I have to say there's nothing like it. Polyphonic aftertocuh, the ring modulator, the 20 performance levers (not sliders - levers) just above the ribbon controller making it near-on as flexible as a modular sound design wise, the sheer might and subtlety of the sound - all make it a performance dream.

But I fully empathise (believe me I've been to h**l and back with these instruments) with sentiments about it being too heavy and so on. For me I'd love to see Yamaha reissue it, with the same control surface, RM, poly-aftertouch,... - but with the analogue circuitry condensed to a few reliable chips like on the A6; and perhaps with a chassis akin to the Schmidt or Waldorf Wave; and perhaps with a 6 octave keyboard. At the right price, I personally think that'd be a huge success.

Stranger things have happened - look at Korg re-doing the Osyssey (different scale I know) but who's to say a 70's/80's polysynth revolution is not around the corner too?

I also agree with those who say the CS60 and CS50 is as satisfying an experience - a lot of what you end up doing on the CS80 is solo work and in that regard the smaller siblings offer many of the same characteristics. Arturia's CS80V is excellent too - especially if you assign realtime controllers (and specifically faders) to the Ring Modulator. But one of the reason's why Arturia's CS80V works so well is because all of the performance levers of the original are on it - and if you assign some of them to a MIDI controller, you get to play in quite a similar way to the real thing. It's quite authentic.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

This issue of SMT design people mentioned interests me a lot. It seems to change a large number of things in the possibilities of synth manafacture.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, System 8, MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

No, I didn't care for it in 1983 (when I used one on a recording session), and I'm still not struck on it in 2014.

Re-issue a Chroma, and my heart rate may just increase a little ;)

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm

I would definitely consider it.

I love my CS-50 and agree with everything AG said about it.

It's truly an amazing synth but if I could get a reasonable recreation of the CS-80 for the right price I'd do it.

This discussion has been done before and some folks on this forum seemed to act as if polyphonic after touch could not easily be done with modern technology.

That's hogwash. It can and has been done recently.

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm

oldcrow is already on it:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... 347d47a997

If there's anyone who could pull it off, it's him - considering he developed the MOTM-480 mkII CS-80 filter module.

His OB-X clone is further proof of his abilities:

http://www.cs80.com/crowbx/
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm

It's funny I've always been a huge fan of all the other CS series synths because they were acheivable cousins of the 80.
My old band relied heavily on the infamous CS01. It was the only thing besides drums that was on every song.
Oh yeah, I played drums in that band!
Weird.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Jonahs

Post by Jonahs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The CS-50 I own is the finest synthesizer (in layout and quality) that I have ever played. It is an example of a synthesizer "done right" in that it was not made with cheap components that feel terrible. It was not made to jump on a few gimicky bandwagons. It was an electronic device designed to deliver a musical physical experience as well as a musical aural experience.
In addition to that, it does a number of things that other synthesizers did not do, and it does them in a staggeringly musical fashion. It is truly a musicians' instrument.

So, my initial answer is "YES!" Followed quickly by the qualifier "If they made it right, I'd never be able to afford it." It would be SUCH a boutique item as to be impossibly expensive. Not only simply through quality components... but the WIRING... the SOLDERING. The thing isn't filled with ICs. It's filled with actual components WIRED TOGETHER. It represents a TREMENDOUS expense in construction materials and labor... perhaps the highest possible.

As for the sound... I have to roll my eyes when people talk about limitation. The average synth user is using sounds that could be made on the simplest of synthesizers. The CS polyphonics are capable of a staggering diversity of sound... many more sounds than you hear the average person making with them. Yes, Vangelis and all of that, but seriously... no one who just wants to recreate that is going to be able to afford one. They are extremely powerful and diverse analog synthesizers.
how do you feel about the schmidt synthesizer?

i think it's an interesting comparison as to what $20,000 can get you. (isn't that what the cs80 would cost today w/ inflation?)

i probably wouldn't be into a straight up re-issue because i just couldn't afford it! ;) but i wonder if you re-did the memory system (it sounds expensive?) and dropped the keyboard (give us CV ins and make us do it ourselves) if that would bring costs down enough. i know lack of keyboard would defeat the purpose for a lot of people, but personally, i think it'd be fantastic to run sequencers into it and use all those great controls. there are much cheaper options for poly pressure today regardless.

i agree that "limitations" seems like a non issue. i mean, people have been doing new stuff with MS-20s for 30 years now! or look at FM synths where today they are used a lot for formanty, inharmonic rich sounds, wildly different than what they were used for back in the day even though they could do it the whole time. point being, i'm sure if you got the cs80 into the hands of young people we'd get great/horrible/new sounds out of it, just like any synth with a reasonable number of controls.

who knows, maybe yamaha will license some or all of the design to korg. they do have a relationship with FM and it looks like maybe it's becoming korg's thing to bring back popular designs of the past on the cheap...(we can hope right? ;) )

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 pm

CS_TBL wrote:No no, I'm from the land of weed, legal drugs, Olympic scaters, tulips 'n such.. do an educated guess ^^
The YOU KAYY. No, I get it ;) I guess perhaps I just assumed that you were on the west coast because you do soundtracks and whatnot. :roll:
bonne chance

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:35 pm

CS_TBL wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:
CS_TBL wrote:I drive a 2003 Renault, not because I like the year, but it happened to be convenient (read: it wasn't that expensive :)).
Totally off topic, but I thought you were from the states (CA?) ? If I'm wrong never mind, but if that's so, right on ! You are likely one of only a handful of Renault drivers in the US.
No no, I'm from the land of weed, legal drugs, Olympic scaters, tulips 'n such.. do an educated guess ^^
Almost all of those apply to Washington State in the US. I'll let you figure out the one that doesn't...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:01 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I guess perhaps I just assumed that you were on the west coast because you do soundtracks and whatnot. :roll:
Meh These days I'm mainly writing product pages for the largest music store in the BeNeLux (you can streetview the shop). In my few free hours I'm doing music for games lately (including this one). Currently doing a similar game in classic pirates style.

ps.. we still have that golden 10th aniv. Moog for sale.. if anyone's interested and wealthy enough.. ^_^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 pm

a CS-80 under 100 lbs (have to be recreated in SMT) and without 35+ years on it?
DUH
...you'd have to be off your meds or simply a dickhead(or a Yamaha exec, it seems) to vote down a new CS-80!
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 pm

I wouldn't exactly vote for a 1:1 CS-80 recreation (it really is a player's synth; the short envelopes preclude many "standard" synth sounds), but I definitely agree we are overdue for a new ana-poly. Can it really be 14 years since the last truly analog (i.e., no freakin' DCOs) mass-market polysynth was released? Ok, there's the more recent SE Omega/Code, but mass-market they are not.

I fully believe anyone who can come into the market with a 6 (or god-forbid, 8!) voice ana-poly with midi, patches, etc., that sounds half-way decent is going to kill it. Aurturia or Korg could easily take the crown.
Do you even post on vse bro?

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 pm

usually i hate when reissues add a bunch of functions that werent present in the original - but i feel like the CS-80 would fail really hard if it didnt have added MIDI and patch memory

that being said... they should not make any changes to the synthesis possibilities... its already extremely flexible

and... i probably would not buy one because of the impractical size, weight, and expense

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: I fully believe anyone who can come into the market with a 6 (or god-forbid, 8!) voice ana-poly with midi, patches, etc., that sounds half-way decent is going to kill it. Aurturia or Korg could easily take the crown.
Frankly my money is on Arturia.
They keep coming out with really nice tools diguised as toys. While Korg is just making toys that are toys.
The Volcas are nice, I own them all. They are very fun. But the inbuilt limitations mean they rarely appear on any of my recordings.
The Beatstep, Minibrute, Microbrute are mindblowing amount of performance per dollar. If they did a poly at a similar price point , say under 2 grand, it would flatten nascent development efforts at any other synth makers that expect to get much higher prices for their synths.

But hey I totally suck at actually playing keyboards with you know, multiple notes at the same time.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave