Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tim gueguen

Re: Would you buy a CS80 if re-released?

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:05 am

shaft9000 wrote:

2) no-one has offered a VST controller that even remotely emulates the UI of the CS polys.

To the 2nd point, it is rather surprising that nobody has yet to release a lever-laden controller with a ribbon all across the front(where it needs to be, duh. not a gum-stick above the modwheel etc), dedicated HPF&LPF layout, a similar pressure routing layout etc. It is even scarier to imagine (or encouraging?) that may really be all it needs to be to get there, along with some refining DSP....but i digress.
I doubt anyone at the appropriate companies thinks there's a market for such a product. They assume people are interesting in being able to control their DAW from their controller, not their synths beyond tweaking the cutoff a bit.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:52 pm

So far it looks to me that Japanese companies particularly have the focus and expertise to pull off reissues like these, including the surprising prices. As it's a Japanese company that's in charge of the heritage of probably the most famous polysynth ever made, anything could happen.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Here are some sounds the CS-80 are capable of. I recorded this all testing the functions of a CS-80 that I had just finished restoring a few years ago.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:51 pm

tim gueguen wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:

2) no-one has offered a VST controller that even remotely emulates the UI of the CS polys.

To the 2nd point, it is rather surprising that nobody has yet to release a lever-laden controller with a ribbon all across the front(where it needs to be, duh. not a gum-stick above the modwheel etc), dedicated HPF&LPF layout, a similar pressure routing layout etc. It is even scarier to imagine (or encouraging?) that may really be all it needs to be to get there, along with some refining DSP....but i digress.
I doubt anyone at the appropriate companies thinks there's a market for such a product. They assume people are interesting in being able to control their DAW from their controller, not their synths beyond tweaking the cutoff a bit.
fair point, for every vintage analog synth enthusiast there are 10 guys 'making beats'. These companies are in the business to sell products not make us happy. :(
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Rezisehtnys
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Of those vintage analogue synth enthusiasts only a handful actually play them. :P

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Rezisehtnys wrote:Of those vintage analogue synth enthusiasts only a handful actually play them. :P
hey I got them all plugged in and I like the pretty lights. Doesn't that count?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:02 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:
tim gueguen wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:
fair point, for every vintage analog synth enthusiast there are 10 guys 'making beats'. These companies are in the business to sell products not make us happy. :(
That was how most people saw it in the era before instruments like the Minibrute and the MS20 mini. The MS20 Mini alone, for instance, has apparently already sold about 15,000 units.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:09 pm

alan partridge wrote: That was how most people saw it in the era before instruments like the Minibrute and the MS20 mini. The MS20 Mini alone, for instance, has apparently already sold about 15,000 units.
I actually put the MS20 in the 'making beats' category. It is a less popular, but still well known piece among dance music people. It will be interesting to see how many end up on the used market.
"This analog stuff is hard!"
But I am also surprised at how popular the Arturia stuff is.

I do gotta say, whenever I am delusional enough to think I can go to Guitar Center and accomplish a meaningful purchase I stop by the keyboards. It's always strange to me that people flock to the Motifs and other such land yachts and ignore the Moogs, Arturias etc. Even when the Sub Fatty came out, I had no problem at all auditioning one at GC.
And immediately regretted it as soon as the sales sleaze latched on to me.

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Judging by the MS-20 Mini used prices I'd say a lot of people are deciding it's not for them in one way or another. Then again it's the same on the Arturia units and the Bass Station II. Really good deals out on used units already, that says something.

My GC sucks and only carries the workstations, I asked about Moog one time and they told me "that's too much of a specialty for us to carry."

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 pm

I wouldn't be too sure on the used market aspect. I remember a thriving quick resale market since the 90s, with masses of digital synths appearing for good prices within a couple of months in the era before softsynths. I think the more surprising truth is the number of people who don't actually hold on to new synths, analog or digital, for a long time.
Last edited by alan partridge on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 pm

It's just them in particular that stand out. The Sub Phatty is much closer to its new price on the used market, of course I suppose the Moog panache has something to do with that. I think even the Mopho has managed to stay near, but go and look at the Prophet '08 and it's almost half the new price at times. I suppose a digital contemporary to throw into the mix with the MS-20/Brutes/Bass Station would be the Novation Nova units, they're going for about half of their new price. I guess it's really a matter of lots of people buying them new and not liking them, then flooding a used market.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:03 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: Are there any examples of really poorly-designed synthesizers with terrible circuit topology that are overall great-sounding synthesizers? What on Earth are you talking about?
Have you ever tried to repair a vintage Moog?
No, I haven't. But I'll tell you one thing, I know a lot of people who do. And I don't know which vintage Moogs you're talking about, but all of my tech friends (some of whom worked with Bob) admire Bob's precision of design. Bob was meticulous, and the reason people love Moogs started with his care in design.

If you're talking about the s**t he didn't design, then I don't know.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 am

calaverasgrande wrote: I actually put the MS20 in the 'making beats' category. It is a less popular, but still well known piece among dance music people.
Why would you do that?
calaverasgrande wrote:But I am also surprised at how popular the Arturia stuff is.
Why?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Rezisehtnys
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Post by Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:01 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: I actually put the MS20 in the 'making beats' category. It is a less popular, but still well known piece among dance music people.
Why would you do that?
Because all synths today are for making beats, manufacturers should save time and money and just not make synths with keyboards attached because they're never used these days. Didn't you know that? Why risk carpal tunnel syndrome when MIDI can save your wrists and keep your hands looking younger. One of these days they'll invent an interface that'll allow guitarists and bassists to live a callous free life.
Last edited by Rezisehtnys on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:01 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Why would you do that?
I've coveted an MS20 for a long time. I was really surprised it was re-issued. I had no idea it was a
"well known piece among dance music people" until the gushing and goo-gawing started in earnest on many online forums. I'd thought all that stuff was done with a 303 and an Alpha Juno.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:But I am also surprised at how popular the Arturia stuff is.
Why?
because it's mass produced, kinda powerful and doesnt mimic any particular retro gear.

I make no apologies for my hatred of dance music. And yes I do own a X0X, but I don't let it sound 'acid'.