VSE March Competition poll

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What's your vote for the winner of the DCO competition?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Calmly Truising
27%
GONE, MAYBE?
No votes
sea glass
19%
DON'T COUNT ONME
8%
Dominion
12%
Superfalling
15%
Ken's Theme
No votes
Echoes - Antarctica
12%
The Arrival
No votes
Paraphonic Activity
4%
loco al volante
4%

Total votes: 26

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

VSE March Competition poll

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Alright, time to determine the winner of the DCO competition! We got a total of 10 tracks this time, and I'm impressed - the baseline for quality seems to keep going up with each compo. Some very good stuff in here!

We'll leave the poll open until Monday the 14th, then the winner will be announced and get the choice of theme for the next competition.
Last edited by commodorejohn on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Re: VSE March Competition poll

Post by ejlif » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:14 pm

I'd be most interested in hearing a little bit about everyone's song how it came about how long it took what gear did you use etc...

I'll start. My song is DON'T COUNT ONME (get it DCO haha) I used the Juno 106. I wasn't even going to do this but when I saw the rules DCO synth and realized the Juno qualified. I had to do it. That is my first synth I bought back in 1989. I bought it used for 500 bucks. Even after sitting in my storage room for 10 years it's still working like new.

I picked an NI abysynth FX patch and a simple reverb for my effects.

I played a bunch of parts into Live 9 sequencer then bounced to audio so I had a whole bunch of audio parts available to choose from. I spent one evening doing the music parts then dug through the mess of parts and put the song together. I made it pretty short since I thought attention span might not last so long for something like this. I kept the audio trickery to a minimum in Live 9.

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 pm

very well recorded tracks
but what are the parameters to vote?
choosing a "best track" as the track we like or voting from an objective point of view, i mean, the best/interesting use of the DCO, the fx, the mixing...etc
could you explain to me please?

thanks

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Mine was Calmly Truising. Yes, it sounds like a Com Truise song. I just got the synth when I started this track, and it just dripped his style/sound as soon as I started programming it, so I rolled with it.

Did it with a Juno106. Pretty much made my drum sounds, recorded the synth parts and then waited until the last minute and arranged it all into a song.

Effects used were the built in chorus and a little bit of Valhalla Room reverb. Really didn't do much of anything to the actual synth parts aside from some EQ'ing when I mixed it; the drum sounds took quite a bit of compression and EQ'ing to get sounding the way I wanted. I also kept it simple, mainly because I like the melody riff and the bassline, so I am probably going to turn them into a more full bodied track at some point. Not 100% happy with everything, particularly my 'crash cymbal' sound, which I basically forgot about until I was almost done and adding the FX bits and realized I hadn't made one, rushed it, and didn't really get what I wanted but just said screw it, I need to finish this.

Some really great stuff in this comp. My vote went to Ken's theme, because, well, street fighter. I'm interested to hear who did Sea Glass and what they used(Analog Four??).

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Mine was not included?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Infinity Curve wrote: I'm interested to hear who did Sea Glass and what they used(Analog Four??).
Me, too. That's who I cast my vote for. Lots of good tracks submitted, though.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 pm

ellaguru wrote:very well recorded tracks
choosing a "best track" as the track we like or voting from an objective point of view, i mean, the best/interesting use of the DCO, the fx, the mixing...etc
Vote for what you think should win, based on whatever criteria you think are important.
balma wrote:Mine was not included?
Did you do one? I put in all the pieces that were on the competition's Soundcloud page, but I don't recall getting a request for the login info from you. If you upload your piece, I'll put it in the poll.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

It would have been cool to guess what synths were used but, might be quite hard, I dunno.
I'll wait to see if balma posts a track before I vote.
I feel a bit cheap really, sounds like everyone put a lot of work in to theirs. Great stuff everyone.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 pm

I voted for Dominion. Just enjoyed it the most, no other reason.

My contribution was Ken's Theme. I can't sequence worth a s**t so I converted the Sega Genesis version(from vgm format) to a Midi file and did a template version with plugins in Reaper first. I did add the crash cymbal notes and had to transpose most of the tracks by an octave, but that was it. Once I had the Midi how I wanted it, the plugins were removed from the Reaper project.

The synth used was the Roland Alpha Juno. Bass and Lead sounds are double tracked, with the second pass for each slightly detuned. The backing chords are 4 passes from 2 sounds, although I was not at all pleased with the results. Drums was 5 passes: Kick, 2 passes for snare(transient first then rattle and decay), one for toms and one for the white noise crash. The only effect used was a free tape delay plugin called Interruptor's Bionic Delay.

edit: Based on this effort, I have decided the sonic character of the Alpha Juno basically sucks. Horrible plastic, cheesy rubbish. I'll be selling it soon. This contest was kinda fun, though.
Last edited by Solderman on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:38 pm

commodorejohn wrote: Vote for what you think should win, based on whatever criteria you think are important.
very wide parameters...
but ok
i voted Superfalling, it captured my attention more than other tracks, that sort of shoegaze-ish attitude.
Antarctica very close: very nice use of sound and recording

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:58 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
ellaguru wrote:very well recorded tracks
Vote for what you think should win, based on whatever criteria you think are important.
balma wrote:Mine was not included?
Did you do one? I put in all the pieces that were on the competition's Soundcloud page, but I don't recall getting a request for the login info from you. If you upload your piece, I'll put it in the poll.
Looks like he posted it to his own soundcloud account; his last post in the other thread is the song title.
Solderman wrote:I voted for Dominion. Just enjoyed it the most, no other reason.

My contribution was Ken's Theme. I can't sequence worth a s**t so I converted the Sega Genesis version(from vgm format) to a Midi file and did a template version with plugins in Reaper first. I did add the crash cymbal notes and had to transpose most of the tracks by an octave, but that was it. Once I had the Midi how I wanted it, the plugins were removed from the Reaper project.

The synth used was the Roland Alpha Juno. Bass and Lead sounds are double tracked, with the second pass for each slightly detuned. The backing chords are 4 passes from 2 sounds, although I was not at all pleased with the results. Drums was 5 passes: Kick, 2 passes for snare(transient first then rattle and decay), one for toms and one for the white noise crash. The only effect used was a free tape delay plugin called Interruptor's Bionic Delay.

edit: Based on this effort, I have decided the sonic character of the Alpha Juno basically sucks. Horrible plastic, cheesy rubbish. I'll be selling it soon. This contest was kinda fun, though.
I was going to ask if you used a midi file for it or figured it all out and sequenced it. It sounded great either way, sorry to hear you aren't digging the synth.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

my apologies , I sent you a message to the soundcloud account yesterday with the song link
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Oh, I see. I don't get messages through Soundcloud because that account is linked to a dummy email I set up for the purpose. I'll go ahead and throw yours in the poll.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 am

I did the 'Antarctica' track with a Oberheim Matrix 6R. For effects i used Breverb and the Stereo Delay from Cubase. I didn't bother to master or EQ it.

It was hard to choose the best track, as they are all good in their own right. I ended up voting for Sea Glass. Superfalling and Dominion were close behind.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 am

I did the Arrival, which was based on an old song that I intended to use on an old competition about movie scenes. It was to be used as an alien invasion, the arrival...I used the analog 4, for all parts, and it really is 4 parts and the onboard effects delay and reverb all sequenced and recorded on fl studio. As you can hear no real masterin or eq'ing was applied.