VSE March Competition poll

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What's your vote for the winner of the DCO competition?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Calmly Truising
27%
GONE, MAYBE?
No votes
sea glass
19%
DON'T COUNT ONME
8%
Dominion
12%
Superfalling
15%
Ken's Theme
No votes
Echoes - Antarctica
12%
The Arrival
No votes
Paraphonic Activity
4%
loco al volante
4%

Total votes: 26

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Re: VSE March Competition poll

Post by ellaguru » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:20 am

what's happened here? my vote is not there anymore...
have you reset the poll?
can i revote?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:52 am

The only thing I did to the poll was to add balma's submission to it. Go ahead and re-vote if you can, otherwise you'll probably have to ask a mod about this.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:24 am

Mine was Superfalling done on a Matrix-6 with only some reverb. The big idea was to show off the huge sonics of the Matrix-6. The facts I wanted to use reverb and not arse around so much conjuring drum sounds like the last competition, pushed me in the direction of shoegaze. I explored a few different ideas but those were s**t so I stripped it down to only the essence and think its much better in the end. That only took a handful of nights to work through.

HH

Post by HH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 am

Ehh, didnt have time to participate though had some juno 60 only tracks lying around.
all in all great tracks from everyone but my vote went to "Calmly Truising". For some reason it stuck in my head

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:58 am

There were elements of all tracks that I liked so it was hard to choose but Calmly Truising got my vote in the end.

I did Gone, Maybe? And I didn't spend much time at all and it might show haha, but I wanted to participate regardless, it's not about the winning etc.
It was done on the Analogfour (again) but because of time I decided to make it as simple as possible. I didn't want to use an already written starting point as most sequences have got other elements affiliated with them so from scratch it was to be. It's all played from the weird round button keyboard with no sequencer, Plocks or anything. Simple waveforms and simple sounds. I'm really happy with the melody actually and might work on it for real but I wish I hadn't started with one of the two main elements as it detached them. The main parts fit lovely as one and I could listen to it all day but detaching was a bad move, makes it harder to hear them as one.
Stoked on this comp.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:18 pm

Mine was Paraphonic Activity. I guess the debate about paraphony was on my mind. Anyway, I used a Poly-800; a synth I never spent much time with before. The song came about from a riff I used to jam with using the chord memory function. Not my best effort, but it was fun. The P800 does NOT like to do drums, particularly the kick.
You can't synthesize love

pinksoir
Gear: Korg Volca Keys,
Korg Polysix,
Roland JX3P,
Teisco SX-400 ,
Yamaha CS-15,
Yamaha SK20.
Band: Bear Worship

Post by pinksoir » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:51 pm

A very close call between Superfalling and Antarctica...

I think Superfalling is more interesting layer/sound wise, but it's let down a little bit by a slightly muddied mix in the mids. Apart from that though it's my winner.
"I think it would be egotistical of me to say, 'I thought of it'. What happened is, I opened my mind up and the idea came through and into my head." - Bob Moog

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:15 pm

commodorejohn wrote:The only thing I did to the poll was to add balma's submission to it. Go ahead and re-vote if you can, otherwise you'll probably have to ask a mod about this.
i re-voted for Superfalling
Antarctica close second

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Lots of good stuff here!

I voted for Paraphonic Activity. Fun and lots of good sounds.

Close behind for me were Arrival, Sea Glass, Dominion, and Echoes - Antarctica.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Mine was Paraphonic Activity. I guess the debate about paraphony was on my mind. Anyway, I used a Poly-800; a synth I never spent much time with before. The song came about from a riff I used to jam with using the chord memory function. Not my best effort, but it was fun. The P800 does NOT like to do drums, particularly the kick.
I've got an EX-800, and I have to say that's probably the best a Poly 800 has ever sounded!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Z wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote: I'm interested to hear who did Sea Glass and what they used(Analog Four??).
Me, too. That's who I cast my vote for. Lots of good tracks submitted, though.
Thanks for the vote(s), and support! Sea Glass was my doing :). Creating it was very straightforward. I had my laptop with the free pc-jx8p virtual pg800 editor sending midi through my korg radias to the jx-8p. I used the Radias to play and sequence the jx-8p by switching the cable between out and through - a little patch editing, switch ports, a little sequence editing, etc. I would then Record the best take in the s2000, and then write a part to go ontop of that, and just build the song from there.

I ran the outs of the jx-8p into one of several fx units: a dex-100 delay I bought from nukit from orbit, an spx50D, the access virus TI's inputs, and the radias itself as an effects processor. From there, sometimes I would use a mixer to combind several wet effects with dry sounds, or record the outs directly into my s2000. Occasionally I would record something onto my h4n and do a second layer of effects. The radias has some cool delays, and my main rotery encoder (I think?) is a bit dodgy, and sometimes jumps all over the place. On some recordings, especially the sounds in the beginning, I selected a parameter of the delay patch and modulated it with the funky encoder, getting some crazy time and feedback modulations. Every patch on the JX I did from scratch, except the main lead which is a preset, tweaked only with a little portmento! The presets get such a bad rep, I had to use at least one! :D

After recording the parts into the s2000, I sequenced the loops sounds, drums and oneshots with a yamaha qx3, which handled the main arraingement duties. Volume and panning are all done inside the s2000, and the final track is a direct recording from the stereo outs of the s2000 with a little bit of compression/ mid-side stuff in wavelab.

I would have liked to pull the lower frequency sounds from the main outs and do some slight sidechaing, but I didn't have a hardware compressor that could do that until after the song was recorded. I also left out recording everything and then pitching it up an octave or two in maschine, and then pitching it back down in the s2000 to create space in the memory for mixing reverbs, wet/dry stuff and what not. I also spent a lot of time creating an 808 cowbell on the jx that sounded pretty damn good from an article on sos, but I don't think I actually put it in the song!

As for the composition of the song itself, my goal was to begin with the beating, rhythm, spray and fizzle of ocean waves in section 1, contrast it with a bright glassy melody in section 2, and close with some basic warm harmony and a little development in section 3.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:15 pm

I enjoyed a lot of these submissions so thank you everyone who participated. Just voted for Calmly Truising. Great melody and solid mix. The fact that you kept it simple while still including a good variety of tones is what helped it stand out for me.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 am

I did Dominion with the Poly61. As you can hear, the drums were nearly impossible (lack of noise etc.). I resorted to using percussive, wood block, type sounds. The kick turned out better than expected. The arpeggiator was clocked for some the sequenced, chord memory parts, but 90% was played in. I used a delay,and a heavy chorus.

That synth sounds good no matter what. I really like it for that. The joystick is actually really nice too. Throw the chorus on this bad boy, and I'd take it over a Juno synth any day. I feel that some of my winter bitterness came out in this track, and now that it's finally getting nicer out (at least in Pittsburgh) it's time to write some more upbeat and less brooding tracks. :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 pm

and bump

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:02 am

What? No votes for Ken's Theme?? I'm surprised.