Is the ms20 mini a good entry point into modular synthesis?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Is the ms20 mini a good entry point into modular synthes

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:57 am

Ugh.

The point of a modular synthesizer is to understand modular synthesis... NOT to interface with technotronic coolness.

The MS-20 is an awesome synthesizer, and capable of a lot of interesting things through modulation... but it is not remotely as modular as a modular synthesizer... because the POINT of a modular synthesizer is being able to direct any function to any other function. The MS-20 does not have oscillator output, so its functionality is mostly associated with modulation.

If you REALLY want to learn about modularity, pursue a synthesizer or modules that allow the direction of sound without limitation. Pursue modules which allow unhindered patching.

Do not go in the direction of anything with presets. Don't go in the direction of software... you'll only be mislead. Buy modules that you can patch together.

For f**k sake.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 am

Ha well I was interested in the ms20 for a couple reasons
For starters: I've simply wanted one since I was 15. Just always been enamored with it. Then there's the fact that I have something lying around that I could bring to the shitty local guitar center and the mini is simply something they'll have in stock. Now I am going to get it either way, but figured I'd simply ask for what are some of the specifics to know about how it plays with actual separate modules - no oscillator output is definitely a specific fact for me to keep in mind

Now what I don't understand is the tone of the last comment - thanks for the input but there's no need to talk down to me. If you're so exasperated with answering questions like this - don't answer. Or in your words "UGH... FOR f**k SAKE"

high and mighty bullshit

bluntedcircuit

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:27 am

I just realized I subscribe to your youtube - got to say I'm surprised that you're this condescending over such a simple question when your vids have been pretty helpful in the past. Oh well

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:48 am

I'll say from my own experience that, whatever its merits or demerits as an introduction to modular synthesis, the MS-20 Mini is totally worth owning. Just tons of fun to sit down and play around with.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

bluntedcircuit

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 am

Yeah I'm looking forward to it - ive mucked around with modular vst's for years and all the synths I have are all menu based single slider/matrix editing type affairs so it'll be nice to have something that's so concrete and immediate

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 am

bluntedcircuit wrote:I just realized I subscribe to your youtube - got to say I'm surprised that you're this condescending over such a simple question when your vids have been pretty helpful in the past. Oh well
That wasn't in response to your question, it was in response to some of the answers you got.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

bluntedcircuit

Post by bluntedcircuit » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:11 am

Oop my mistake, I totally took that out of context like a shmuck.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 am

bluntedcircuit wrote:Oop my mistake, I totally took that out of context like a shmuck.
No you didn't, all due respect Marc, but that came across quite cuntish.

I do agree that the MS20 isn't really the best introduction to modular. It's a h**l of a fun synth though!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:44 pm

monolith wrote:all due respect Marc, but that came across quite cuntish
First time in history someone has suggested Marc is ever less than a total gentleman??!! :agree:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Get the Ms20! It's great. You'll realize soon enough that you'll want more though. If I had a ton of cash laying around, I'd wait for the MFB Dominion 1, or build a TTSH 2600 clone. Both great options, that are both hardwired, and patchable.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Modular, maybe not, but for getting into CV stuff it's wonderful. I started with an MS-20 mini, then got a Multimoog, then an Arturia Microbrute, and then a couple of Moogerfoogers (CV I/O), and then a couple of CV sequencers. From here, I think I'm going to get into the world of 5U and the like. So as you can see, maybe not an entry point, but a damn good gateway drug.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:13 pm

As long as Marc keeps releasing awesome youtube ARP2600 videos, he can be all the c**t he wants to :D He's earned the right.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:13 pm

no mention of the Doepfer Dark Energy MkI/MkII?
for shame
It is basically a grab bag of Doepfer modules in an affordable self powered box.
I have yet to dig into it's arp features, and the envelopes take getting used to, but it was good enough for me to buy a 2nd one!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:03 pm

bluntedcircuit wrote:I've been eying the brutes too for a bit, how do you think they're a better choice?
As I said I think the ms-20 is awesome. But if your goal is to integrate it into a modular to play or sequence, the brutes are easier as no conversion is necessesary for the pitch scaling. Of course they are all so cheap you could just buy both and see which one works best for you. The keys on the MS-20 mini are better than the Microbrute. I am getting used to them though the more I play it.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 am

meatballfulton wrote:
monolith wrote:all due respect Marc, but that came across quite cuntish
First time in history someone has suggested Marc is ever less than a total gentleman??!! :agree:
You know, I showed up at VSE as a goofy light-hearted synth-lovin' fool. I learned the hard way that the tone at VSE isn't goofy or light-hearted. It is often amusing, jocular, and fun... but there is a tone here that isn't... well, particularly accepting of foolishness.

A lot of things have changed here in the last few years... things have really calmed down, and whereas it used to be a pretty staunch bastion of fact without tolerance for bullshit... now things are getting a bit lax. My adopted tone has not. Of course, any time I say anything that people disagree with, I get pretty seriously addressed. But apparently, if I deal the same way, I'm "cuntish."

Well, whatever. The people who know me in person know that I'm actually still a pretty goofy light-hearted guy. But I am seriously about synthesis, education, and the history of synths and electronic music. I get pretty intense in regard to casual inaccuracy and revisionist history. If that makes me "cuntish," then so be it.

Meatball, I'm kind of saddened that you feel this way about me.

P.S. The fact that I wasn't addressing the OP is quite evident if you actually read my post and compare it to the posts of others previous to mine. Or, you can' think me "cuntish." TEVS, YO